Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one for custom work, so i've been putting a little thought into an exhaust system...

I like the dynatech headers, that i'll buy, but after that, i'm thinking custom bent pipe going through an xpipe, no resonators, out the back through a set of flowmaster super 40's...

Anyone have any other input? I know flowmaster makes a similar kit, but i'de rather have the pipe bent by my buddy and just weld the mufflers in instead...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think I'm just going to cut the stock resonator and mufflers and weld in pipe. Cheap, easy and I'm sure it would sound good

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well yeah...thats the point. It's a HEMI for crying out loud, it's not supposed to be soft :cool: Maybe keep the resonator and just cut the mufflers?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
or the other way around...cut the resonators off first and see what that sounds like. then cut mufflers off if you want more. i think the muffler is part of the problem after taking it off... that thing is much bigger than the mufflers i have now....maybe have some flowmaster super 40's installed and take off the resonators...what do you think?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The resonators are the two cans with the exhaust tips welded to them. The muffler is the big "suitcase" in the middle of the car.

In this LINK you can see the inside of one has packing(this is the muffler) the other has no packing(this is the rasonator).
The resonators are the two cans with the exhaust tips welded to them. The muffler is the big "suitcase" in the middle of the car.

My brother cut the resonators off of his and it sounds pretty good but you can here some drone, as long as the radio is off.
I have not heard a car with just the muffler removed. I have heard a recording of straight headers but there's no way I would drive it around that loud.
________
Nexium Help

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
can you post or link the recording with the straight headers...i would like to hear just how loud it is....man if i could roll around in a damn dodge charger nascar edition with 800hp...oh yeah

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so i've had a change of plans, after doing a little searching, i've found that the sound from a 70 series flowmaster sounds a lil better, so i will likely go with those instead...

i've been looking over some things and decided on 3" all the way back to the pair of 70's....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
with all the money you are spending on re-working the exhaust, are you going with mandrel bent pipes, or just having a muffler shop put crush bent pipes on your car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
please, i'de never mess with crush bends...

my buddy quoted me $200 for 2.5" mandrel bent manifold back for my neon.....(stainless)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put the 40's with a X pipe on my Hemi Magnum with the stock resonators and it still has a rumble to it. I like the sound, not to loud and the wife doesn't complain which is a big one. I'm still thinking of just taking the stock resonators out and putting straight pipes in their place but it might be too loud.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine drones like freakin crazy, and I can barely stand it.

I had my shop cut off the mufflers and resonators, then ran two magnaflow mufflers then straight pipe out the rear with 4" tips. Sounded great for about 2 days, then it starting droning at more than 2000rpms, Now it drones at all rpms, sounds loud as hell, and gives me headaches at over 30 minute drives!

I wasted a bunch of money doing this setup, and now it doesn't even sound too good when stomping on it. It is so loud that I cannot carry on a uninterupted conversations with my passengers, or hear the stereo too well!

I should have bought a premade setup like the borla or magnaflow setup that these companies have tested out to make sure that they would think of them and not be so loud. So yesterday I got some resonator canisters put in at the rear of the car, to help deaden the sound, but instead they offered no change in sound of the car, or actually might have increased the droning .

I am about to just go put some stock style mufflers back in and trash the new setup. I cannot stand how crappy this sounds, and cannot believe how much the magnaflows sound changed since the install two days ago. It's like the sound deadening material got blown out of the mufflers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, that is something you always have to consider, after you sue the muflers a bit, the filler will "burn" a little and settle, so it is going to get louder.....

I'm going with my setup because i like that old fashioned growl, and can live with a little droning...if not, i'll just have to fit that problem later...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
hodgeee said:

I had my shop cut off the mufflers and resonators, then ran two magnaflow mufflers then straight pipe out the rear with 4" tips. Sounded great for about 2 days, then it starting droning at more than 2000rpms, Now it drones at all rpms, sounds loud as hell, and gives me headaches at over 30 minute drives!

I wasted a bunch of money doing this setup, and now it doesn't even sound too good when stomping on it. It is so loud that I cannot carry on a uninterupted conversations with my passengers, or hear the stereo too well!

I should have bought a premade setup like the borla or magnaflow setup that these companies have tested out to make sure that they would think of them and not be so loud. So yesterday I got some resonator canisters put in at the rear of the car, to help deaden the sound, but instead they offered no change in sound of the car, or actually might have increased the droning .

I am about to just go put some stock style mufflers back in and trash the new setup. I cannot stand how crappy this sounds, and cannot believe how much the magnaflows sound changed since the install two days ago. It's like the sound deadening material got blown out of the mufflers.
Do you still have the stock resonators?
Put them back on. With the magnaflow mufflers you should get good sound but reduced drone.
This would probably be the cheapest thing you could do at this point.
________
Vaporgenie Lowest Price

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just had the suitcase muffler and resonators removed and replaced with Flowmaster Series 40 Delta mufflers and straight pipe to the back with some huge tips.

Loud, but oh the performance has changed (Until the computer learns)!!!!!!

I'm getting the headers next, and will probably have to add Flowmaster resonators then to tone it down a bit. I heard what the system sounds like without the headers and it's not too bad. Will probably be massive with the headers :cool:

·
Registered
755 Posts
hodgeee said:

Before you go back to stock check out Zoomers... WE advertise here and if you've seen our banner it says "resonance free ride" NO DRONE or MDS DRONE at any RPM... Check out the Charger Video: http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/dodgeCharger/default.htm

Also we are currently offering 15% off at our Charger Group Buy here at Charger forums: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1141&page=1&pp=10 Check it out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts