Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright lets make this simple, changing the oil on my Bee is proving difficult,
first time for me, everything I use is Mobil one and when I looked up what to use in the way of viscosity the manual says 0-40 wieght,
Okay, nobody seems to have it other than the dealer $9.00 a qrt of which I got two different answers of what they use,
What is everybody using on their SRT8?????
Forum searchs brought squat.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
If you have a Wal-Mart in your area, they should have it. I'm now using the Royal Purple 0-40.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
pm - brian from bnd, at least hear what he has to say about Quantum Blue. Royal Purple is crap in my opinion. if your not going to go with Quantum blue then i would stay with mobil one. JMO

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
Alright lets make this simple, changing the oil on my Bee is proving difficult,
first time for me, everything I use is Mobil one and when I looked up what to use in the way of viscosity the manual says 0-40 wieght,
Okay, nobody seems to have it other than the dealer $9.00 a qrt of which I got two different answers of what they use,
What is everybody using on their SRT8?????
Forum searchs brought squat.
Frankly, I wouldn't put 0w anything even in my lawnmower.

We have been making many SRT8 cars a special blend of 12.5w40 to deal with the many issues that these motors have. The slap issues from the pistons along with the rocker assembly issues in the head. These motors need a lot of Zinc, Phosphorous, and a higher TBN than you purchase from the stores.

Some other oils use Molybdenum Disulfide......which makes acids, they use PAO based oils that drop additive packages and are aggressive on seals.

Too wide a viscosity is not good for the life of the oil nor the protection of your motor.

Give QuantumBlue a try and we can custom blend for what you have, where you live, how you use the vehicle and what your mods are......all taken into consideration. Like a lubricant version of DNA. This month we have a 10% discount to honor the LX and Beyond Nationals. Check us out.

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:bigthumb:
440-821-9040

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
BND FTW. GO QUANTUM BLUE! Brian will post in the thread eventually with his whole we are BND resistance is futile super science. :D

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Damn we were typing at the same time. haha.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a Wal-Mart in your area, they should have it. I'm now using the Royal Purple 0-40.
Thanks, your the only one so far that even attempted to answer my question, Both Wally world checks came up bubkiss, ive got a guy that i can order from local i guess, and Royal purple has got a hell of a rep, why others gotta down it is beyond me, MY question was does a different visc work just fine or does it HAVE to be 0-40 which is my understanding 0 viscosity that acts like 40.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
they were trying to help you. Its your fault if you didnt see that. Maybe you should run 100w 2

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frankly, I wouldn't put 0w anything even in my lawnmower.

We have been making many SRT8 cars a special blend of 12.5w40 to deal with the many issues that these motors have. The slap issues from the pistons along with the rocker assembly issues in the head. These motors need a lot of Zinc, Phosphorous, and a higher TBN than you purchase from the stores.

Some other oils use Molybdenum Disulfide......which makes acids, they use PAO based oils that drop additive packages and are aggressive on seals.

Too wide a viscosity is not good for the life of the oil nor the protection of your motor.

Give QuantumBlue a try and we can custom blend for what you have, where you live, how you use the vehicle and what your mods are......all taken into consideration. Like a lubricant version of DNA. This month we have a 10% discount to honor the LX and Beyond Nationals. Check us out.

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:bigthumb:
440-821-9040
Out of pure curiosity what would I be looking at Dollar wise for lets say
1) oil change, Ball park.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
You asked what people were using in their SRTs. Quantum Blue. Brian sells a specific weight for your driving patterns and climate.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Out of pure curiosity what would I be looking at Dollar wise for lets say
1) oil change, Ball park.
Hmmm - you bought a superbee and now your trying to count pennies when it comes to pretty much the most important fluid in your car. i dont get it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Thanks, your the only one so far that even attempted to answer my question, Both Wally world checks came up bubkiss, ive got a guy that i can order from local i guess, and Royal purple has got a hell of a rep, why others gotta down it is beyond me, MY question was does a different visc work just fine or does it HAVE to be 0-40 which is my understanding 0 viscosity that acts like 40.
I stick with this viscosity because I want to make sure I stay with what the manufacturer calls for in case I have warranty issues. I'm sure our previous posters will say that that is crap as well. I'm just turning 21,000 miles on my SRT and have over 21,000 on my R/T and haven't had any engine related problems in either car. If that weren't the case then I might consider paying $13.95 a quart plus shipping for something else.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm - you bought a superbee and now your trying to count pennies when it comes to pretty much the most important fluid in your car. i dont get it.
Jeez H, I wanted to know if it had to be 0-40 did not need a lesson or lecture,not pinching pennies daytona owner just asked for a little info but seems some on the _ _ _ today so nevermind i'll figure it out myself.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
Ok,

A 0 weight oil is good to 58 degrees below 0 Celsius. Tulsa will NEVER get that cold. A 5, a 10, and a 15 winter weight oil will be more than fine for what you will do with the car.

Noone is downing Royal Purple except to remind you that reputations are made from marketing people who wish to sell product only. They don't know who you are, they don't care what you drive, they are not specifically LX and Charger enthusiasts, nor do they care what happens to your car.

Any company that adds Molybdenum Disulfide KNOWS it produces acids from moisture and sulfur in the fuel. They are using this because they do not use Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate anymore but rather Zinc Dithio Phosphate and about 800 ppm which is insufficient. They don't because they are an Energy Conserving II oil.

They use an acidic phosphorous compound that contributes to leaching of metals over time from the bearings etc because it is cheaper and better for their bottom line. Minimum spec for maximum profit.

We use a much more expensive neutral phosphorous so we can get much more in there for anti-wear and anti-scuff because we do care what happens to your car.

I am just trying to help you understand why people are not as excited by RP as they once were.

Do as you choose, it is your money after all.:bigthumb:

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040 :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I stick with this viscosity because I want to make sure I stay with what the manufacturer calls for in case I have warranty issues. I'm sure our previous posters will say that that is crap as well. I'm just turning 21,000 miles on my SRT and have over 21,000 on my R/T and haven't had any engine related problems in either car. If that weren't the case then I might consider paying $13.95 a quart plus shipping for something else.
Ah exactly, 46,000 on the RT with Mobil 1), no issues, the bee is getting what it will need. Thanks all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok,

A 0 weight oil is good to 58 degrees below 0 Celsius. Tulsa will NEVER get that cold. A 5, a 10, and a 15 winter weight oil will be more than fine for what you will do with the car.

Noone is downing Royal Purple except to remind you that reputations are made from marketing people who wish to sell product only. They don't know who you are, they don't care what you drive, they are not specifically LX and Charger enthusiasts, nor do they care what happens to your car.

Any company that adds Molybdenum Disulfide KNOWS it produces acids from moisture and sulfur in the fuel. They are using this because they do not use Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate anymore but rather Zinc Dithio Phosphate and about 800 ppm which is insufficient. They don't because they are an Energy Conserving II oil.

They use an acidic phosphorous compound that contributes to leaching of metals over time from the bearings etc because it is cheaper and better for their bottom line. Minimum spec for maximum profit.

We use a much more expensive neutral phosphorous so we can get much more in there for anti-wear and anti-scuff because we do care what happens to your car.

I am just trying to help you understand why people are not as excited by RP as they once were.

Do as you choose, it is your money after all.:bigthumb:

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040 :)
So you would say the same about Mobil 1)?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
a/ the dealer cant check the viscosity of your oil and never would if you did have a problem. I've never in 11 years of working for dealers checked the viscosity to make sure the customer has the proper kind in when doing warranty engine work. All you allowed to check for is oil change history.

b/ you cant possibly give a crap about warranty or what the dealer thinks with a car thats modded like yours.
Just my opinion. Your worried about following their rules on oil viscosity but nothing else?

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
x2 - what brian said - and OP, i wasnt trying to lecture, i am sorry it came across that way. you bought probably one of the most bad @ss cars out there and you were looking to shop for RP at walmart - i didnt get it. thats all. and as one of my first posts said, get the info before making a decision, apparently you didnt think that that was advice, or that anyone after me posted advice because they didnt recommend RP. and if i recall i did say that if you didnt like what brian had to say then stick with mobil 1. and that was my advise, oh and i apologize for having a lowly daytona.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts