Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting an exhaust that is not raspy and doesnt sound like a rice can. I want something that growls. I want to know your opinions and/or soundclips to help me out. Im planning on buying it this weekend.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I'm interested in getting an exhaust that is not raspy and doesnt sound like a rice can. I want something that growls. I want to know your opinions and/or soundclips to help me out. Im planning on buying it this weekend.
Exhaust depot has a very loud growling econo set up, a quieter set up, magnaflows sound good and I've seen some people on here that love their flowmasters but I haven't heard any in person. Check the vendors and our sound clips, good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
The best of the growls

The best double cat back exhaust system are the SLP systems the laoud mouth II sound like a charger form the 70`s and the loud mouth I sond more like the charger v8 chech on www.slp.com and you can get to here ht edifferent sounds the systems make.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had my resonator cut off and a Y pipe installed then 2 3.5" tips put on, I know sounds ghetto, but looks great and sounds good, no noise at all while driving highway speeds, only sound is upon startup, idle, and when you stomp it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I JUST got the Exhaust Depot Xpipe/mandrel set up and I love it. Its got a nice growl at start up & it doesnt sound like a Ricer in any way... despite what the videos sound like. When you're flooring it in drive (not revving in park or neutral) it sounds great. I'll have to post some new videos. There is no drone whatsoever at RPMs under 2k. At 2k or a lil above, there is a slight hum but you really have to listen for it. I play my music loud most of the time and I cant hear it anything when Im at cruise speeds, but can def. hear it when I step on it! Great system... just not stainless like you want

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
my vote....

look around, first. hearing something ONLINE isnt the same as in person. also hearing it on the car when the car is accelerating underload (someone driving it) you may conclude it actually is raspy.

most of the videos online do not do accurate justice.

and whatever you decide on, just remember, if its higher pitched that preferred, brah! just add some resonators to your setup to take out the unwanted tone levels.

also whatever you do choose, have someone drive your car by you accelerating. you'll find that many uso's who love their system never hear it from outside. the hear vibes from in the cabin only, since they are the ones that always drive it.

so it sounds good at idle, sounds good when not in drive and revving it. but when you wind out a gear, it gets raspy, but they never know and drive around thinking those vibes inside are what it sounds like to others outside....

kinda like when you gettin your locks trimmed at the barber, ya know? you look in the mirror, turn around, but its kinda beneficial to have someone else hold a mirror to see how you look 360 degrees.:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll try to get it up by the end of the week. The weather out here has been really bad the past few days and from what I see, its gonna last a few more. :(

please do post a video of that new exhaust depot setup as their video kind of sucked =X

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
This is actualy a question that doesn't have an answer yet. The V6 engine will by nature produce a "raspy" sound with any exhaust you put on.
The more you try to take that away, the more cab drone you will have.

For example, the econo set-up from Exhaut Depot is nothing but a set of glass packs (resonated pipes), and provides a VERY open flow; that makes a LOT of cab drone, but has a deep sound (the real noise of the engine).
The more you try to close the pipes (by adding mufflers), the less drone you will have, and the more raspy it will sound; therefore, making the exhaust quieter.

Experiment:
Fill a ballon with air; when you let the air out without holding the "nipple", it sound "loose" and deep. If you hold the nipple very lightly and slowly let air out, it will sound "thin" (raspy). This is how muffler -v- glasspacks works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
borla mufflers on 3.5 v6

had muffler shop remove exhaust from the y pipe back. went with 2.25" pipe on both sides with borla mufflers and tips on end. drove for the weekend but had to much drone inside. went back to muffler shop on monday and had them install a glasspack resonator on each side before mufflers. took out the drone and left a nice growl when accelerating. was in dallas couple weeks ago and took my son Kmac 3.5 to Kinneys muffler in Bedford installed flowmasters on each side with tips and glasspack resonators in front of flowmaster. he already had x pipe from a rt exhaust and used that also. both sound great when accelerating with no drone.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
This is actualy a question that doesn't have an answer yet. The V6 engine will by nature produce a "raspy" sound with any exhaust you put on.
The more you try to take that away, the more cab drone you will have.

For example, the econo set-up from Exhaut Depot is nothing but a set of glass packs (resonated pipes), and provides a VERY open flow; that makes a LOT of cab drone, but has a deep sound (the real noise of the engine).
The more you try to close the pipes (by adding mufflers), the less drone you will have, and the more raspy it will sound; therefore, making the exhaust quieter.

Experiment:
Fill a ballon with air; when you let the air out without holding the "nipple", it sound "loose" and deep. If you hold the nipple very lightly and slowly let air out, it will sound "thin" (raspy). This is how muffler -v- glasspacks works.

try using resonators that have a more quality material inside to line them. glass packs get their name from using fiberglass to absorb sound.

however some companies, higher price of course, make resonators with a different sound absorbing materials.

no drone, and no rasp at higher speeds, but deep sound. also keeping the pipe size diameter efficient and effective is a start. if you had a single 2.5 pipe, using a dual 2.5 will create more rasp.

theres a way to have cake and eat it too....although you tend to pay more.:rockon:

if i'm wrong, correct me, brah, but i remember reading some articles stating the cheaper resonators and mufflers use less quality packing/sound absorbing material, and they dont last as long due to heat breakdown.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I JUST got the Exhaust Depot Xpipe/mandrel set up and I love it. Its got a nice growl at start up & it doesnt sound like a Ricer in any way... despite what the videos sound like. When you're flooring it in drive (not revving in park or neutral) it sounds great. I'll have to post some new videos. There is no drone whatsoever at RPMs under 2k. At 2k or a lil above, there is a slight hum but you really have to listen for it. I play my music loud most of the time and I cant hear it anything when Im at cruise speeds, but can def. hear it when I step on it! Great system... just not stainless like you want
I was VERY interested in this setup (like I'll be ordering it in the next week). Mind if I ask you how much it set you back? Install it yourself or have a local muffler shop do it? Notice any kind of improvements in mileage or pickup? Also, did you need a heat shield around the gas tank?
sorry for all the questions I just don't know much about exhaust systems

·
Registered
108 Posts
had muffler shop remove exhaust from the y pipe back. went with 2.25" pipe on both sides with borla mufflers and tips on end. drove for the weekend but had to much drone inside. went back to muffler shop on monday and had them install a glasspack resonator on each side before mufflers. took out the drone and left a nice growl when accelerating. was in dallas couple weeks ago and took my son Kmac 3.5 to Kinneys muffler in Bedford installed FLOWMASTERS on each side with tips and glasspack resonators in front of FLOWMASTER. he already had x pipe from a rt exhaust and used that also. both sound great when accelerating with no drone.
I have magnaflows not flowmasters, they produce a really smooth sound. And I do recomend having someone drive your car so you can listen from the outside. My system sounds pretty well tuned inside and out. Thanks Kinneys Mufflers

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I was VERY interested in this setup (like I'll be ordering it in the next week). Mind if I ask you how much it set you back? Install it yourself or have a local muffler shop do it? Notice any kind of improvements in mileage or pickup? Also, did you need a heat shield around the gas tank?
sorry for all the questions I just don't know much about exhaust systems
If you send an email to ED, he will give you a price, Blackandchrome and myself were a part of a pre-sale when he started making the systems and got a different price. He got them put on at a shop, I know because he asked if I had recommendations for where he lives. There are large gains on a dyno, as for feel, I can't help you out, FEDEX lost mine and is being re shipped this week. A heat sheild is a good idea, either the 3M sticky stuff or the wrap that you put on headers, you can put around the pipe, but ED said that was only for piece of mind and that there is like 8 inches between the pipe and the tank and the mufflers are far from there so it should be fine without it, but I won't be taking any chances.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts