Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm doing my valve seals for the first time on my 08 5.7 turbo charger. The vehicle has about 150 000kms on it. Despite being turbo charged, compression is really good in all cylinders, I've kept it under 5.5psi and kept the Rev limiter set conservatively. I've never done valve seals before on anything to be honest so bare with me.
It's burning a bit of oil so I'm just about to start on my seals, I'm thinking that is the culprit. My question is, while I'm in there, what else should I change out? I suppose I'll have to do the O-ring seal around the valve covers. As well as the seals on all the coil tubes? Anything else I should do while I'm in there?
I've done a bit of searching now on different forums and haven't really found much about this. Mind you, I'm not very tech savvy so pardon my ignorance if I missed some threads.
Thanks for any input ya'll have!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the valve seals are bad you will get smoke on the start up.
How much oil are you using ?
I get smoke all the time. Start up, idle, wot, and out the pipe when it's sitting for long periods of time

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,318 Posts
The v-cover gaskets are re-usable as stated so in the service manual. Its up to you. Look em over, if not flattened, still pliable, and no nicks or cuts.........?

Mine is a 2013. If it does not apply to an 08 maybe it will help others.

The passenger side is a real PITA at the rear bolts. I use a 18" long extension with a 3/8-1/4 adapter and 1/4-drive universal 8mm socket to make short work of the bolts.

Also note its easy to damage the gasket at that lower rear corner getting it over the rocker tube bolt. Forcing it on/off there during removal and installing will have you going back in for a leak. The engine sits angled back and that's the lowest point in the cover.

I have made several trips there and developed a work flow.
I remove the e-vap solenoid and its hose. You can see the lower nipple for the hose pointing up at you in the picture. I made a long hook to depress the hose fitting slide lock to get it off. (see fitting with green slide lock at top of image)

Also note the disconnected ground wire with copper ring-connector, and my finger pointing to where it was connected. This wire is stiff and is an obstacle when trying to finesse the cover on/off. And its usually under that bundle of cabling, I have it re-routed over it next to the trans fluid level tube and it can stay that way and reconnect fine.

What ever method you use, practice the install a few times without the gasket if you are using a new one.
With all this its still a PITA to install the cover and avoid nicking it on that lower rocker tube bolt at the back.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,318 Posts
You will need a setup similar to this........

And the exhaust valve seals are lots of fun to get pushed on securely. There is no light hammer tapping room.
As you can see this is an earlier pic and that ground wire and e-vap solenoid are still in place. Pain will help one remember.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure it’s not a turbo blown seal causing the smoking
I hope not. These turbos were just rebuilt and I'm not seeing any oil under the vehicle. Just taking a stab at it, but if the turbo seals were blown, I'd be seeing some leaking around the turbos wouldn't I?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I would take the boots off the turbos on both sides and see if there is any residual oil or a oily film inside the turbos if there is any sign even the slightest you found your problem
Could be one or both the turbos better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would take the boots off the turbos on both sides and see if there is any residual oil or a oily film inside the turbos if there is any sign even the slightest you found your problem
Could be one or both the turbos better to be safe than sorry.
Yeah I guess I better give that a go as well. I'm already pretty commited to doing these valve seals, I've got the valve covers off already, but I bet that's the easy part of the job.
Here's hoping it's not the turbos though, that s#!t ain't cheap.
That being said, anything else besides seals i should consider doing while I'm in that neck of the woods?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The v-cover gaskets are re-usable as stated so in the service manual. Its up to you. Look em over, if not flattened, still pliable, and no nicks or cuts.........?

Mine is a 2013. If it does not apply to an 08 maybe it will help others.

The passenger side is a real PITA at the rear bolts. I use a 18" long extension with a 3/8-1/4 adapter and 1/4-drive universal 8mm socket to make short work of the bolts.

Also note its easy to damage the gasket at that lower rear corner getting it over the rocker tube bolt. Forcing it on/off there during removal and installing will have you going back in for a leak. The engine sits angled back and that's the lowest point in the cover.

I have made several trips there and developed a work flow.
I remove the e-vap solenoid and its hose. You can see the lower nipple for the hose pointing up at you in the picture. I made a long hook to depress the hose fitting slide lock to get it off. (see fitting with green slide lock at top of image)

Also note the disconnected ground wire with copper ring-connector, and my finger pointing to where it was connected. This wire is stiff and is an obstacle when trying to finesse the cover on/off. And its usually under that bundle of cabling, I have it re-routed over it next to the trans fluid level tube and it can stay that way and reconnect fine.

What ever method you use, practice the install a few times without the gasket if you are using a new one.
With all this its still a PITA to install the cover and avoid nicking it on that lower rocker tube bolt at the back.

View attachment 297060
Good call on that solenoid and ground removal. It's super tight in the corner like you said, I had a heck of a time just getting that cover out of there. Thanks for all the info 👊🏼

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,318 Posts
To me the hardest part is getting the exhaust valve stem seals fully seated and feeling as good about it as the intake's that can be tapped on for their last 1/8" of travel. The Exhausts are cramped for working room in the engine bay.
I just posted on my method in problems and assistance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you ever finish installing the valve seals?
If so did it solve your problem?
I'm gonna pull each turbo and take a good look at them first just to rule them out. I'll keep the forum updated though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.