Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now, on my 19’ SP I’ve done 275 rear tires, Hellcat breather, Fastman tb, catch can, cat back exhaust and just a few cosmetic stuff. Is there any other performance mods I’m missing that wouldn’t void my warranty or am I pretty much at the end of my line here?

·
Registered
427 Posts
With the throttle body?
Yep and depending on how much of an a$$ the dealer wants to be, if they can associate any mechanical issue to a mod, they can void it. I’ve heard stories of a catch can voiding the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I read ppl going back n forth on the whole tb thing. Some say so, others say no. Idk either way. But anyways DAMN!! A catch can though?? That’s Absurd!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The cat back was a complete waste of money.. you could go with a 3.90 gear.(or a 3.70).I ran the 3.90 in my 16 Scat Shaker A8...picked up .2 in the 1/4. lots of fun on the street with a DR.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Contact the service department or FCA and ask those questions about the warranty. They are the ones that will make the initial determination if shit goes south with the car and it needs repair.

A few calls today might save some heartburn later.

Reactions: tjaden1000

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Realistically though, how are they going to know I changed the tb out? I put the same factory screws in and you can’t tell a difference, I mean they’d have to take it off and actually measure it right?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
On minor repairs, the dealer calls the shots and you're probably not going to have an issue.

But in a major engine failure the dealer will be instructed by FCA on how to proceed and here is where your mods may come into play.

There is no list of what is OK nor can anyone say this or that will not cause a warranty issue, you just don't know what FCA will do if the situation arises.

Even something simple like a CAI can cause a denial, a catch can modifies the PCV system which is an emissions device and your warranty booklet says tampering with the emission systems is a warranty issue.

So basically in the worst case scenario, almost any modification can cause a problem when FCA is staring down a steep repair bill.

I don't like to worry about it so I leave my cars alone these days. The choice is up to you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cat back was a complete waste of money.. you could go with a 3.90 gear.(or a 3.70).I ran the 3.90 in my 16 Scat Shaker A8...picked up .2 in the 1/4. lots of fun on the street with a DR.
I’m completely satisfied with my exhaust. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Why do you say it’s a waste of money?

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because it only changed the sound. No power gains whatsoever.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I’d argue that if anything there had to have been some improvement. I did all piping at 2.5” and removed suitcase/resonators. Idk, I’m no mechanic but it has to be breathing better and IMO that’s an improvement not a loss. Besides I didn’t spend outrageous money on fancy exhaust brands.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I’m completely satisfied with my exhaust. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Why do you say it’s a waste of money?
Sound change only ..which could have been accomplished by changing the mufflers..no power gain changing the cat back. Demons and modded Hellcats run 8's on the same stock exhaust.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I’d argue that if anything there had to have been some improvement. I did all piping at 2.5” and removed suitcase/resonators. Idk, I’m no mechanic but it has to be breathing better and IMO that’s an improvement not a loss. Besides I didn’t spend outrageous money on fancy exhaust brands.
These are not the cars of the 60's- 70's. There really isn't much left on the table power wise without much bigger mods than a cat back exhaust. It's a huge misconception that an exhaust change gives you more power and that's largely thanks to advertising BS.

Yes, it's louder, which tricks your mind into feeling power that isn't there. I'm at 850hp with the stock cat back, so trust me when I say the power didn't change.

I'm not busting your chops, I'm glad you're satisfied with it. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
715 Posts
On minor repairs, the dealer calls the shots and you're probably not going to have an issue.

But in a major engine failure the dealer will be instructed by FCA on how to proceed and here is where your mods may come into play.

There is no list of what is OK nor can anyone say this or that will not cause a warranty issue, you just don't know what FCA will do if the situation arises.

Even something simple like a CAI can cause a denial, a catch can modifies the PCV system which is an emissions device and your warranty booklet says tampering with the emission systems is a warranty issue.

So basically in the worst case scenario, almost any modification can cause a problem when FCA is staring down a steep repair bill.

I don't like to worry about it so I leave my cars alone these days. The choice is up to you.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Now that the subject is modifications voiding the warranty.....my 2 cents.

At under 30,000 miles the brake rotors needed turning down to stop a vibration.
Dealer refused to fix it under warranty. No problem. That tells me that my brakes are not under warranty and I'm responsible for paying.
I won't inconvenience the dealer by purchasing an extended warranty if I have to pay out of pocket to get things fixed.
-------------------------
Also under 30,000 miles, I asked the dealer to do a tire repair, which I would have paid for, but......
Service guy who had been working there under two weeks, said he would sell me a
new Michelin for $200, but would not fix the tire. The drywall screw was clearly in the tread
and not the sidewall.
I got a second opinion on the repair and got it fixed elsewhere.......also bought an OEM stock real rim
and ditched the bicycle tire-type spare. On the positive side...I made a great bracket to mount the real tire above the rear floor with no floor sag, and UNDER the rear floor, it became storage for my hydraulic floor jack and car cleaning supplies.
------------------------------
I'm not fighting or arguing with the dealer. I paid for the new tire, but my next tire repair goes to the tire shop. And my next tire purchase goes to the tire shop also.
-------------------
In addition, the new service guy told me at my last oil change, that I needed an alignment.
How that was figured out, I don't know.
I told him to just list whatever the Charger needed. Two pages from the dealer and no alignment mention. Next time the oil is changed, and after 36,000 miles, will I hear about an alignment again?......and find wrench marks on the suspension? lol
-----------------
Every so often I have received a mailed solicitation for buying the extended warranty.
I have my doubts about whether anything would be covered or if I would have to pay
out of pocket anyway.
-------------------
So.......AFTER I pass 36,000 miles, is that when alignment will be brought up again? lol

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I hate going to the dealer, they are always coming up with some BS.

But on the brakes, they are only covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles.

On the extendeds, they usually want to see a broken part. When my aunt's transmission started acting up, they said unless they found a broken gear or something actually failed, it would just be an old worn out trans and it would not be covered. Luckily it cleared up on its own.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Never go to a dealer for anything but warranty work.
And if you like a warranty, never mod a car beyond cosmetic things.

As someone said, you just don't know how they will react to screw you or not.
Had a 6MT Acura CLS. 6 months old, went to dealer for oil change(on them) left it there all day went to work. 3 days after the car had a misfire. Brought it in, they kept it for days, turns out the valves are shot. Computer code showed engine over rev.... They tried to say I mis downshifted at some point & caused the over rev way past redline.....Yeah right.....It was fine before the oil change & not after....I couldn't prove it was them they couldn't prove it was me. I had to eat the cost of parts & they ate the cost of labor....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts