Charger Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
There's a disproportionate amount of tall people on these forums. (I've always felt).....I'm 6'0 and have always felt short on these forums

Anyways I miss being able to squeeze into tight parking spots. No AWD also means this car turns into a big toboggan during winter.
Well some of that is explained by being on a large sedan forum... You can put a tiny person in a large car but it isn't easy putting a large person in a tiny car.

I assume you're using real winter tires during winter (especially if you're in Canada.. isn't that the law in many Provinces?) With real winter rubber that car is pretty good. I'm not a fan of these OEM RSA2 tires. I was driving in the rain last week and I felt like I was sliding around much more than my 2006 would have on summer rubber (BFG gForce Sport Comp2).

I'm still getting used to my 2019, bought in February and with COVID I've only put on 3k miles I think (and a good chunk of that was in the first month).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well some of that is explained by being on a large sedan forum... You can put a tiny person in a large car but it isn't easy putting a large person in a tiny car.

I assume you're using real winter tires during winter (especially if you're in Canada.. isn't that the law in many Provinces?) With real winter rubber that car is pretty good. I'm not a fan of these OEM RSA2 tires. I was driving in the rain last week and I felt like I was sliding around much more than my 2006 would have on summer rubber (BFG gForce Sport Comp2).

I'm still getting used to my 2019, bought in February and with COVID I've only put on 3k miles I think (and a good chunk of that was in the first month).
There's no laws here on that. Last winter I had all seasons on and it felt like I was on ski's.

So I have a good set of winters this time around. We will have to see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is a 2019 SXT Plus, Octane red with two-tone nappa leather seating and Alpine sound system with 8.4” UConnect.

I think the car looks great, and I get many compliments from strangers.

While not a Hemi, it really has all the power I need. Not want, but need.

This car fits me. I’m male, 6’ tall, and not rail thin. When I get in, I feel like I have put the car on around me. In recent Chevy Impalas, I felt like I was sitting on them, not in them.

Great gas mileage.

Smooth engine and slick 8-speed.

Quiet on the road.

Handles securely, and the ride is a good balance of firmness and comfort.

Fold down rear seat. I have promised myself I will never own another car without it. And, no, I don’t want an SUV.

UConnect interface. I think it is excellent and should be a lesson for other manufacturers.

Alpine sound quality. Not great or necessarily audiophile quality, but meets minimum specs for an OEM system, and I consider myself to be picky. The sound system in my wife’s premium Avalon just sucks, and the infotainment interface is almost as bad.

“Surprise and Delight” features. I like the cargo net, the little plastic hook for hanging shopping bags on the left side of the trunk, the little hook that holds up the trunk floor liner if you have to get to the spare, the little sliding tray in the console, big glove box, little red bag they put the Quick Start guide in, etc.

Seat coolers. Never, ever thought I would like something like that, but I do.

Seat support and adjustability are great, but I wish they were just a little bit cushier.

Many are critical of the Charger’s ”cheap” interior. My previous car was a 2008 Mustang Pony Package; with the Mustang’s. thin, cheap, plasticky interior with thin, cheap vinyl, the Charger’s interior feels like a Bentley. I’m not going to complain about it. I recall once sitting in a relative’s mid-2000’s Cadillac CTS. I was shocked at how its interior would feel cheap and flimsy if it were in a Chevy Cavalier. The Charger is miles above that.

Dislikes:

Instrument lights that are too dim in the daytime with lights on. Really, Chrysler? Come look at my wife’s Avalon to see how this is done right.

HEADLIGHTS. OK, this is my fault. My previous 4 cars had awesome halogen headlights. I assumed the Charger would, too. WRONG! These are the worst I have encountered since my 1987 Taurus company car. I’m surprised they are not illegal. I bought my Charger new and special ordered it. I did not check the HID option box. Big mistake, and it’s all my fault. Funny thing is I value good headlights highly. I did replace the factory bulbs with some Sylvania Ultrastar bulbs of a higher color temperature. They help, but there are not HIDs or LEDs ( or even a properly engineered halogen system). Major disappointment here. I always keep my cars stock, but with this one, when the warranty expires, I am going to investigate some kind of LED/HID upgrade.

Lack of interior color variety in Hemi cars. My Mustang had an all black interior. I hated it. I wanted color in my next car, but if you wanted a Hemi, you had to take an all black cloth interior or an all black leather one. I settled for the V6 just to get the tan leather seating surfaces and door panels. I really wanted a Hemi (mainly for the sound), but with all these reports of “Hemi tick,” maybe I am glad I did not get one. Also, more cloth options would be nice. I really don’t like or want leather seats, but when you are presented with just one choice...

Delivered with tendency to produce a loud intermittent “THUMP” from the bottom/rear on some startups. Many dealer visits, Dodge Cares cases, forum posts, and a year and a half later, the car still does it and I am no closer to a root cause/fix.

Rear differential whine from new that required a 3 week stay at the dealer to replace the diff. Having done so, it still whines, just now at a different speed. I hear this is common, and this is in my view inexcusable. How long have rear differentials been manufactured? 110 years? I would hope FCA had a handle on it by now.

Programming of the seat heaters. They are programmed to go off if a certain seat temperature is reached or if a time limit is reached. I understand Chrysler’s logic here, but some in my family run the seat heaters continuously, even in summer, to help with lower back pain. In most modern cars I have seen, the heaters stay ON until you tell them to go OFF.

Sometimes, a little more exhaust sound would be good. When I test drove cars, I drove a Hemi and became enamored with the exhaust sound. Sooo good!

BooDog

·
Registered
66 Posts
Man I don't know how you do it... you lose like 1.7 inches. I'm 6 foot 7 and even without the sunroof things are tight, with the sunroof it is a total deal breaker.

Maybe you have short torso/longer legs or recline your seat more than I do too!
Well I'm 6'5" 205 and I do a bit of a lean back with seat back and power column all the way out to me. On bumps I do get the hair touching at times though. Another 1/2" I'd be toast;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dislikes:

Instrument lights that are too dim in the daytime with lights on. Really, Chrysler? Come look at my wife’s Avalon to see how this is done right.

BooDog
You can max out the brightness using the wheel adjuster near your left knee. I know what you mean, if I use the headlights on a drizzle day that's still bright the dash lights are too dim but if you roll that dimness wheel up to max (one click below interior lights on) it will be fine. Also you can play with the auto mode in Uconnect for the display brightness. There is a separate headlights on and headlights off level and an "auto" try auto.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What I dont like about mine is that it is at college with my son so I don't get to drive it

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can max out the brightness using the wheel adjuster near your left knee. I know what you mean, if I use the headlights on a drizzle day that's still bright the dash lights are too dim but if you roll that dimness wheel up to max (one click below interior lights on) it will be fine. Also you can play with the auto mode in Uconnect for the display brightness. There is a separate headlights on and headlights off level and an "auto" try auto.
Yes, you can do that and I do, but I do not think you should have to fiddle with all that between night, day, rain, clear. On the Avalon, the brightness is always just right regardless of conditions. I’m not even sure how to adjust the instrument panel brightness in it. It’s just always right.

About a year ago I rented a Toyota Tundra pickup that had instrument lighting just as bad as the Charger. Interestingly, the Dodge dealer loaned me a Jeep for 3 weeks while my diff was being replaced, and the IP lighting in it was just fine. Someone at FCA knows how to do it right. Why not apply it to a car that has been in production for 14 years?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Regardless of any problems you may have you just got to love the sound of the 6.4 Hemi 😋

·
Registered
81 Posts
A few minor niggles I've noticed over the past couple of days.

1. Between the low res backup camera and touchy throttle, reversing can be a bit sketchy. I'll have to play around with the Uconnect settings to see if I can at least brighten the backup camera screen, but as it is now, it's a bit dark and hard to see, and combined with a hair trigger throttle, I don't feel super confident parallel parking in tight spaces yet. Also, it seems strange that when I set the option to have the side mirrors tilt down in reverse, that it's both mirrors? Usually it's just the right side, or at least I'm able to choose which side points down by selecting the right or left mirror? Having both pointed downwards leaves my driver side mirror useless most of the time - seems like an odd thing.

2. Not sure if this is a glitch or if I'm using the feature wrong, but I had the radio station presets all set shortly after taking delivery of the car. However, just yesterday, I noticed they had all been reset. Today, they're back. Not sure what's going on here - are they by chance tied to the memory seating buttons?

3. After enabling the easy exit feature (which works like a charm!), I notice that the right side of the driver's seat bottom rubs the center console slightly when the seat goes back and forth to make this "squeaking" noise. Maybe it'll resolve itself over time, but for now, kind of annoying knowing that that portion of the leather might wear out faster due to what seems like a fit/finish issue.

Of course, all of these things pale in comparison to the things I love about the car.

·
Registered
819 Posts

2. Not sure if this is a glitch or if I'm using the feature wrong, but I had the radio station presets all set shortly after taking delivery of the car. However, just yesterday, I noticed they had all been reset. Today, they're back. Not sure what's going on here - are they by chance tied to the memory seating buttons?
The presets are tied to the memory seating buttons.

Reactions: kyoung05

·
Registered
81 Posts
The presets are tied to the memory seating buttons.
That makes sense - interesting they tie the radio presets to the memory seat functions rather than to the individual keys. I suppose that's actually better since my wife and I don't have to keep track of which key is which.

·
Registered
691 Posts
That makes sense - interesting they tie the radio presets to the memory seat functions rather than to the individual keys. I suppose that's actually better since my wife and I don't have to keep track of which key is which.
You can opt to tie them to the key it is yet another option in Uconnect.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can opt to tie them to the key it is yet another option in Uconnect.
Interesting - so many options available through Uconnect that I would've never known about. The dealer said that normally during delivery they have someone walk you through all of the features and functions, but because of the pandemic, they weren't able to do so. That's too bad, because these are all things that would have been great to know, but I can certainly understand their decision.

·
Registered
819 Posts

1. Between the low res backup camera and touchy throttle, reversing can be a bit sketchy. I'll have to play around with the Uconnect settings to see if I can at least brighten the backup camera screen, but as it is now, it's a bit dark and hard to see, and combined with a hair trigger throttle, I don't feel super confident parallel parking in tight spaces yet. Also, it seems strange that when I set the option to have the side mirrors tilt down in reverse, that it's both mirrors? Usually it's just the right side, or at least I'm able to choose which side points down by selecting the right or left mirror? Having both pointed downwards leaves my driver side mirror useless most of the time - seems like an odd thing.
When backing up I usually look out the back window, and now also use the backup camera. If I do use the outside mirrors to see how close I am to another car or object, why would I want them tilted down? Why not leave them in the normal position to see what's next me? Guess I'll have to change the setting & try it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
When backing up I usually look out the back window, and now also use the backup camera. If I do use the outside mirrors to see how close I am to another car or object, why would I want them tilted down? Why not leave them in the normal position to see what's next me? Guess I'll have to change the setting & try it.
I keep forgetting to turn this off, I don't like the downward tilt it isn't useful to me anymore for the most part.

Now when I lived in Chicago that would have been nice since you parallel park at the curb and you can see the curb. Sometimes you parallel park on a one way street so it could be on either curb so I can see wanting both to tilt.

Now I find it annoying but it can be turned off at least. I'm so used to backing into spaces and into my garage that I don't really use the backup camera I find it distracting.

Reactions: Torquer

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use this exclusively for when I'm parallel parking so that I don't curb a wheel. However, I also then need to keep an eye out for oncoming traffic which is why it would be helpful if the other mirror would stay up so that I can quickly glance there to see if I'm clear to pull out and reposition myself if needed.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks -
I could see where it would be helpful for parallel parking but don't do a lot of that. I'll play with it a bit but seems like I'll keep that setting off & maybe just enable it when I do parallel park. I usually park in big lots & far away from other cars & shopping carts.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Only two complaints ... the 5.7L didn't come with factory headers and the Getrag LSD (limited slip differential) was not an option.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD
34 Posts
My '14 doesn't have CarPlay, and there's no easy way to add it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just wrapped up the first 300 miles on my Scat Pack and am experimenting with full throttle and different drive modes. Sometimes, the acceleration is violent, throwing me back into the drivers seat - what I would consider to be scary fast. Other times, it feels decent, but I’d describe it as more noise than torque.

The problem is, I can’t seem to figure out how to get the “good” kind of acceleration consistently.Based on some videos I’ve seen, I’ll downshift until the revs come up to about 3,500rpms and gun it. Sometimes it feels fast, and other times it just sounds fast. I’ve tried this in the different drive modes, going around a long sweeper and going straight and still can’t seem to figure out what’s going on.

Because the different drive modes don’t make the throttle more sensitive, I’m assuming it has to do with the varying levels of traction control? It’s driving (no pun intended) me a bit crazy trying to figure it out. Is 3,500rpms the sweet spot to do some pulls at highway speeds (starting at about 60-75mph)?

61 - 80 of 84 Posts