Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this mentioned in the tuner ads. Exactly what does hold paddle shift mean?
Thanks.

·
Registered
696 Posts
wow cant believe 13 views and not one sould tried to help ya out. Well Ill attemp...it means when your using the manual shift (paddle) the gear will either hold or shift on its own depending on what you choose, but in my opinion why set it to shift if your driving it manually? I dunno, but I guess some do...hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Mine doesnt have an option in manual shift, it will not hold. I think only certain years do that or have that as an options. You can also hold it (the paddle shifter over after you shift) to have it go back into drive.........

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how does hold paddle shift differ from the stock Autostick? Does this mean it won't upshift automatically at redline, or that it doesn't downshift automatically when needed like Autostick does?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i dont think ANY years have the option of holding gears at red line. you can raise your shift points using hand held tuners. it is currently set at... 5800 i believe, and a lot of people raise it up to like 6100.

as far as what it means to paddle shift hold, im really not sure.

to me, paddle shift is the ... for lack of a better word... paddles on either side of your steering wheel, on the back side, that you pull on with your fingers to shift up(on the right side) or down (on the left side). our cars do not have this feature.

my pops infiniti does. and it will also hold gear and you can hear it get pissy(real pissy, it sounds.. very unhealthy) when you dont shift. it is also the sticktronic as we have, but rather than leaving it whre the D is and moving left to right, you first move it over, then move the stick up/down.

if i had to guess, the paddle shift hold is when it removes the auto-shift when you red line, which is where your shift points are set.

like i said, thats a guess, i was one of those 13 views because im curious my self :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
This is my understanding of it:

In stock form, the AutoStick will always shift up before the redline to prevent engine damage and bouncing off the rev limiter.

With a tuner that gives you the options of "Paddle Hold" or "Paddle Kick" (in SuperChips verbiage), "Paddle Hold" will let you take the revs up to the redline and keep the gear (useful for certain track situations). "Paddle Kick" is nearly identical to stock form, the only difference I believe is quicker and firmer shifts at whatever shift point you have set (5800-stock, 6100 or 6150 for the raised).

I believe the consensus in the past has been that for drag racing/straight-up acceleration "Paddle Kick" is best as it is faster than you are at shifting. I also recall reading some SRT drivers running "Paddle Hold" on the SRT Track Days as they needed to stay in the power band during certain turns.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
05 and 06 model years when you select manuel by bumping the shifter left or right.You can hold the gear as long as you want..07 years do not have this feature the will automatically shift when the rpms approach red-line..There were problems in the 05 06 SRTs that when in automatic mode the car would bump the rev limiter before shifting..To fix this problem DCX came out with a tsb.Some who had it done like it,some dont.I for one like being able to shift on my own,so I dont have the TSB.This info is based of the SRTS I dont know much about the 5.7s sorry..Hope this helps..

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
05 and 06 model years when you select manuel by bumping the shifter left or right.You can hold the gear as long as you want..07 years do not have this feature the will automatically shift when the rpms approach red-line..There were problems in the 05 06 SRTs that when in automatic mode the car would bump the rev limiter before shifting..To fix this problem DCX came out with a tsb.Some who had it done like it,some dont.I for one like being able to shift on my own,so I dont have the TSB.This info is based of the SRTS I dont know much about the 5.7s sorry..Hope this helps..
Mines an o6 R/T and does not allow me to hold the gear... Are you talking about SRT's??

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I see this mentioned in the tuner ads. Exactly what does hold paddle shift mean?
Thanks.
It means the gear selected will hold and will not shift up to the next gear, regardless of RPM's.

Charger R/T's do not have this function. The early SRT's do have this function, but as mentioned earlier, a "TCM" TSB flash update for the SRT's removed that functionality.

SuperChips tuner will allow user to hold gear (paddle hold).

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
That's my understanding also (and I see others have replied in kind too) - and it applies to SRT's. Other models ALWAYS shift up at redline, regardless of what else is going on - in [D] or using autostick.

I think the TCM version "AK" is where the automatic upshift was also added to SRT's, either via the TSB flash update, and of course as the newer builds came out of the factory with that version loaded already.

The very-soon-to-be-released DiabloSport Predator should allow one to modify the behavior also - likely one of the places you've read about tuners adding the feature(s).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts