Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says no Armorall, just a damp cloth. It does say you can use mopar upholstery cleaner or equivent. What exactly is equivilent??
Thanks in advance.

Murunga

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
from what i have heard, the cleaning agents for mopar are made by meguiars(did i spell that right)...anyway that is what i am using and haven't had any problems. damp cloth works great with a little soapy water...daughter dropped a chocolate cookie on leather...it came out with ease. but go with meguiars - can't go wrong....hope i helped buddy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am using Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Murunga said:
The manual says no Armorall, just a damp cloth. It does say you can use mopar upholstery cleaner or equivent. What exactly is equivilent??
Thanks in advance.

Murunga
I did not see were it says no Armoral. Guess I should check again. When I asked the pro's at the car wash I take my car to I was also conserned because I never seen a dash made of the rubber like material like our cars. The guy at the car wash said he has been using Armoral on all the Magnums and 300's that he has done. I got it done with Armoral for the first time last week. And I will tell you it looks really good. But I will try and find were it says in the manual no Armoral and if it does I will tell my car wash guy not to use it anymore.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
it does say no armoral. as far as what i use on the dash...been going with a damp cloth - looks like the day i bought it. i really think that the anti-armoral thing in the book is b/c there is an affiliation with meguiars...could be off base on that comment, but it is my belief. regardless though i can't help but follow the damn owners book to the "T". i want to keep this baby looking new for many years to come...i just get too attached to my cars and don't want to let go until they are almost dead. anyone else have that problem?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I also try to follow the manual. I see now were it says no Armoral. And like I said I am not going to let my car wash guy use it any more. Just hope that the Armoral that is on it now does not ruin anything.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Believe it or not not they say that armoral actually will help the dash CRACK!! Truth to this I have no idea, but I do know that armoral does dry out and crack the leather!! Not from my personal car but to my friends truck (totally killed the seats in less than a year). Why he put that on the seats who knows.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
hemibates said:
Believe it or not not they say that armoral actually will help the dash CRACK!! Truth to this I have no idea, but I do know that armoral does dry out and crack the leather!! Not from my personal car but to my friends truck (totally killed the seats in less than a year). Why he put that on the seats who knows.
I guess good thing they did not put it on my seats just the dash and the door panels. No more though I will just use the damp cloth in the future it will also save me $$$$ at the car wash.

·
Registered
245 Posts
meguiars does make Mopar car care products according to parts dept at Dodge dealer they also sell the branded meguiars as well. The manual also implies that Armour all causes a glare in the windshield and the dash material is designed to reduce the glare.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
There are a couple reasons I can think of that they would say not to use Armor All. I don't claim to have in-depth knowledge of the topic, but there's been a years-long debate going on about whether Armor All causes dashboards to crack or not. Evidence that supports this theory abounds as does evidence that Armor All works as advertised and actually extends the dashboard's life. "Scientific" reasoning points to Armor All containing chemicals that bring the rubber/vinyl's natural oils to the surface, thereby causing premature drying and cracking; regular use of Armor All becomes necessary to keep the surface internally lubricated.

Another reason could be that regular Armor All produces a high gloss that can be distracting or dangerous in the driver's field of view; Armor All does make a low gloss version that would make this point moot.

All that said, I would go with the manufacturer's (Dodge's) instructions rather than chance it. It's pretty rare that someone will tell you specifically to NOT do something that is normally accepted unles they know something we don't.

NOTE: Please don't use this post as an excuse to start the "yes it does" "no it doesn't" war on this forum. If you were planning to start the war before I posted, please feel free, just don't say it was my fault. :whistle: :whistle:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like to use the pledge metal, glass and wood wipes(wal-mart or other) to clean and shine. Also try the "swiffer" type dusters that are disposable. They pick up all the lint and dust "electrostatic (sp)". I have been using rain-x. I as seeing that I am an boy among men when it comes to car knowledge in this forum----Is rain-x ok?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
mnunes said:
There are a couple reasons I can think of that they would say not to use Armor All. I don't claim to have in-depth knowledge of the topic, but there's been a years-long debate going on about whether Armor All causes dashboards to crack or not. Evidence that supports this theory abounds as does evidence that Armor All works as advertised and actually extends the dashboard's life. "Scientific" reasoning points to Armor All containing chemicals that bring the rubber/vinyl's natural oils to the surface, thereby causing premature drying and cracking; regular use of Armor All becomes necessary to keep the surface internally lubricated.

Another reason could be that regular Armor All produces a high gloss that can be distracting or dangerous in the driver's field of view; Armor All does make a low gloss version that would make this point moot.

All that said, I would go with the manufacturer's (Dodge's) instructions rather than chance it. It's pretty rare that someone will tell you specifically to NOT do something that is normally accepted unles they know something we don't.

NOTE: Please don't use this post as an excuse to start the "yes it does" "no it doesn't" war on this forum. If you were planning to start the war before I posted, please feel free, just don't say it was my fault. :whistle: :whistle:
What the hell kind of NOTE is that?
Delusions of Grandeur, maybe?
________
condo for sale in Pattaya

·
Registered
96 Posts
For the leather, I use Lexol products (cleaner and conditioner). You can find them at most auto parts stores. I've used the Meguiars leather car (standard model and Gold Class) before and they're fine products, however I like the feel of the leather better after using Lexol.
For their show cars, Chrysler uses Wizard's Mist and Shine on every surface, including the rubber door panels and dash. For the dash, I prefer Vinylex (from Lexol). Harder to find at parts stores, but you can order online from DC Car Care , Don, who is the proprietor is a supporting vendor of the 300C forums and the president of the National Taurus SHO Owners club. I've known him for years and he's a great guy.

·
Registered
630 Posts
trvol said:
I like to use the pledge metal, glass and wood wipes(wal-mart or other) to clean and shine. Also try the "swiffer" type dusters that are disposable. They pick up all the lint and dust "electrostatic (sp)". I have been using rain-x. I as seeing that I am an boy among men when it comes to car knowledge in this forum----Is rain-x ok?
Rain-X is ok... on the windows and windshield. As for using it on interior pieces, I don't think I would use it for that. For collecting dust off the dash, I use one of those special dust "mops". It works well and because of the handle and length of the mop, it can easily reach those hard to reach places on the dash.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will add that I'll never, ever use a hanging air freshner in my car again!!! I had one in my 94 ram hanging from the cigerette lighter and the chemicals in it melted the plastic on my air vent! When I noticed it I went to the one in my 69 camamro and sure enough, from the same package, it it had started discoloration on the center console. Beware of these guys, don't use those cheap hanging air freshners!

Murunga

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
same thing with the air freshners that you clip on the vents....had one in our honda and the damn thing left a stain on the vents...will never use one of those setups again...now i just place a couple bounty fabric softeners in the side pockets (works wonders).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use a hand held swiffer to wipe the dash with. It is by far the best thing I have found to use and you dont have to worry about the dust coming off while using it. Never thought of it before, and I bought one of those mr. clean car washing kits and it had one inside. :happy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts