Charger Forums banner

6161 - 6176 of 6176 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I swapped in the PUG (Pentastar Updrade) lower intake manifold from the 2016 and up Jeep Grand Cherokee. Much larger & smoother ports for increased airflow. Probably won't do much on a stock engine, but I have an AFE Momentum GT cold air intake with the Hellcat air tube and Solo Performance "J" pipe exhaust. I took it for a short ride after the swap and found that it boosted the mid-range torque enough that I got sideways several times on turns from a stop..learned that I can't give it any throttle until the turn is complete and the car is heading in a straight line. I will have to drive it a lot more to see what else changed.

I had to remove my strut tie bar to get the upper intake off. I used a Mahle gasket set with upper & lower gaskets and new fuel injector and throttle body gaskets.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I swapped in the PUG (Pentastar Updrade) lower intake manifold from the 2016 and up Jeep Grand Cherokee. Much larger & smoother ports for increased airflow. Probably won't do much on a stock engine, but I have an AFE Momentum GT cold air intake with the Hellcat air tube and Solo Performance "J" pipe exhaust. I took it for a short ride after the swap and found that it boosted the mid-range torque enough that I got sideways several times on turns from a stop..learned that I can't give it any throttle until the turn is complete and the car is heading in a straight line. I will have to drive it a lot more to see what else changed.

I had to remove my strut tie bar to get the upper intake off. I used a Mahle gasket set with upper & lower gaskets and new fuel injector and throttle body gaskets.
Nice!

Was all of this on stock tune?
Or do you reckon it will still take a while for the vehicle to adjust to the new airflow?

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
You need to disconnect the battery anytime you monkey with the intake and exhaust, as this resets the PCM back to the factory settings. When you're all done and have reconnected the battery reset the accelerator pedal (foot off the brake, ignition to start, when all the chimes stop depress the pedal all the way to the floor and back up quickly), then fire it up and let it idle for 2-3 minutes. Then drive it normally for a while. Mine ran lean for a little bit and had a touch of ignition knock from 3,000-4,000 rpm, then it got used to to the new flow fairly quickly.

The mid range power and torque are better (pulls hard from 3,500 up to red line). The surprising thing is the fuel mileage may have gotten better due to not needing to use the go pedal as much. I'll know more after I put a few hundred miles on it, but for the $150 for the manifold and full gasket set it was well worth it.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
You need to disconnect the battery anytime you monkey with the intake and exhaust, as this resets the PCM back to the factory settings. When you're all done and have reconnected the battery reset the accelerator pedal (foot off the brake, ignition to start, when all the chimes stop depress the pedal all the way to the floor and back up quickly), then fire it up and let it idle for 2-3 minutes. Then drive it normally for a while. Mine ran lean for a little bit and had a touch of ignition knock from 3,000-4,000 rpm, then it got used to to the new flow fairly quickly.

The mid range power and torque are better (pulls hard from 3,500 up to red line). The surprising thing is the fuel mileage may have gotten better due to not needing to use the go pedal as much. I'll know more after I put a few hundred miles on it, but for the $150 for the manifold and full gasket set it was well worth it.

Thought I would provide an update..I've driven the car with the new PUG lower intake manifold a hundred city miles now and the LOW range torque (1400 to 2200 rpm) is vastly improved: cruising along in city traffic the car will go 25 mph in 4th gear, 30 mph in 5th, and 35 mph in 6th (before, it would be in 3rd all the time at those speeds -- it wouldn't even think about kicking into 4th until almost 40 mph). Taking off from a dead stop is also much better (it actually goes when I step on it) and the fuel mileage is up about 1 mpg to 23. I haven't been out on the highway for higher speed cruising (75+ mph) yet, I'll have to see how that goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Thought I would provide an update..
Do you plan on getting a custom tune?
I reckon with all additional airflow + cai + exhaust, you'd be able to squeeze out a few more horses for sure.
From OverKills website:
"Lower Intake Manifold - Proper porting or replacing with the newest generation lower Pentastar manifold is worth a dyno tested 7-8 wheel horspower "

Sean at Hemifever allows multiple free revisions based on mods you do...I run his 91 octane tune and have had no problems so far.
Granted - its very rare that I get to go more than 3/4 throttle when daily driving it..

Overkill also suggests getting the 180 Thermostat and throttle body changed...without having to change the injectors for E85:

At this rate you should easily be exceeding 325hp at the crank..no?

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
The torque is better across the entire RPM range, so the HP went up too, but I have no idea how much (the Pentastar is pretty well maxed out from the factory). I have the factory locked PCM and won't pay $1000 for an unlocked one and tuner..the stock tune maps are able to adjust to the new airflow, and it is fast enough for me. If I wanted to go faster I'd trade it in on a RT, but I don't want to deal with all the lifter/camshaft issues that crop up as the car ages. I like the better reliability record of the 3.6 (only a few have had the roller rocker arms go bad and they are easy and cheap to fix if you do it right away before the cam gets ground down)

One of these days when I get really bored and feel like throwing away a couple hundred bucks, I'll take it back to the same dyno place to see what the actual numbers are.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Check prices at the dyno shops, we have one here that has Friday specials, 1st come 1st served, 3 pulls for $50.00.

My R/T netted 10/10 HP&TQ on the dyno tune. So yeh, MOPAR does a great job delivering all they can. But the other tweaks make her feel better than a mere 10/10.

The 3 most lied about things on the planet,
Horse Power, MPG, Man Size. 👀

6161 - 6176 of 6176 Posts