Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What did I do Wrong? (brake pads) **Resolved**

I changed my pads today. followed the instructions here:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/te...-how-installing-low-dust-brake-pads-srt8.html

I thought it was a piece of cake until I started driving. I sounds like metal on metal on both the front and back brakes, pretty loud too. Folks were looking at me, pulled over quick, all pads look to be in the right direction, scoped the rotors they didnt look damaged. Drove some more and its still loud.

Looked at the rotors again I noticed like a notch or a thin line about 1/16 or 1/32 in from the top. I dont know if it was there before. But now when I look back at the instruction thread it seems his rotors look the same way.

whats going on, i am afarid to drive it. It was a pain in the ass for me to jack up, I am hoping to get some feedback before I take the wheels off again.

Please Help Me.

My wife will KILL me !!!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Not sure what to tell you until you take off the wheels and look at the calipers ond the rotors

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I wish I could I know someone will chime in for you, I have yet to have any reason to pull my brakes apart, did you upgrade with more aggressive pads and rotors?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I could I know someone will chime in for you, I have yet to have any reason to pull my brakes apart, did you upgrade with more aggressive pads and rotors?

All I did was install the low dust pads, there are in correctly for sure. I think I hit the panic button to early. I am pretty sure the spring clips are not in right. Gotta go back out take the wheels off and reinstall the clips

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
good luck let us know

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok finished !!

All 4 wheels had the the spring clips on backwards (when I screw up, I screw up real good)

Had broken a chinese made 1/2 drive getting the wheels back off, so I had to go to loews and pick up a kobalt.

I am "guestimating" 100 lbs of torque. I will get the proper wrench over the weekend ( I hope)

I feel much better now, I am going to go threw the garage and throw out any chinese made tool in there.

Thank god for these mopar boards, or I would be back on xanax !!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Glad you figured it out!!

Now go bed those puppies in... I got the Ceramics from Zeckhausen, and I've now bed them in twice and I still don't think I did it right.. *sigh*

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok finished !!

All 4 wheels had the the spring clips on backwards (when I screw up, I screw up real good)

Had broken a chinese made 1/2 drive getting the wheels back off, so I had to go to loews and pick up a kobalt.

I am "guestimating" 100 lbs of torque. I will get the proper wrench over the weekend ( I hope)

I feel much better now, I am going to go threw the garage and throw out any chinese made tool in there.

Thank god for these mopar boards, or I would be back on xanax !!!

Stay away from China made tools. It is all sub-par metallurgy and will always break. Go get Craftsman stuff. You definitely get what you pay for and it is made in the USA (hand tools anyway).

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. I wanna know what pads you went to and how is your dusting problem now?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Glad you got it worked out. I wanna know what pads you went to and how is your dusting problem now?
I installed the low-dust Centric Posi-Quiet brake pads.

There is a major difference. While changing pads I really cleaned up all the brake area and washed those rims to factory specs. Then I drove 250 miles over the weekend. When all said and done there is a very slight dust residue on the front wheels. The back ones still looks incredibly clean.

The brakes do seem a bit 'harder'. And I havent bedded them yet.

Just like all the other positive posts regarding these pads. I cant stress enough how worth it they are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts