Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone thinks thier exhaust sounds better then another, tell me which system you think is a better performance mod.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I can only tell you because I own a SRT C with a Magnaflow cat back, and I owned a system with same car FLowmaster 50 series, with no resos, stock resos, and with blastin bobs kit...

The Magnaflow is nice, way more mellow, and much better across the band. I think it feels better, but the Flowmaster with no resos was more open, and offered a lil more power. The Flowmaster with stock cats was worthless same as stick basically with more in cabin noise. The Flowmaster sounded like arace car on start up... And WOT is sounded a lil toooo loud for me. The in car noise is obnoxios with the flowmaster...

I have dumped too much money in the exhaust and tried many things. DO it right please, buy a kit. A cat back kit. I hear if you want it a lil more mellow go with the Borla, if you want the best all around with no money restriction get the Corsa if you wan the next best thing, and want to get a better "deal" they are easier to find on the Magnaflow

One more thing, get the Magnaflow Catted midpipes, I LOVE MINE, and it was the best mod so far!

·
Vendor
771 Posts
I'm assuming we're talking 5.7L's. If weren't talking 6.1L, none of the following rules apply. First, rule out the aluminized Flowmasters from the start. They're not nearly as good of a performer as the other two manufacturer's mufflers who are straight through designs versus the chambered Flowmasters.

A lot of your decision is based on what sound you are looking for. The Magnaflows are a mid-range system, louder than stock but not what we call an aggressive system for the 5.7L's. The Borla 140125's (I'm assuming you're talking about this system and not their quiet 4 muffler 140112's) are a nice aggressive two muffler system. The Borla's are definately louder but unlike the other "loud" systems on the market, these Borla's have the least drone going down the highway or cruising compared to all of the other louder systems. This is due to the Borla's running a 2.25" pipe compared to the larger pipes of the other "aggressive" systems (SLP, JBA, Bassani, etc.) and when comparing the Magnaflows to the Borla's, the Borla's use a slightly higher grade of stainless steel which is thicker and quiets down the droning of the system quite well. The Borla 140125 is a great system, sounds great, has large 5" tips which I think look great on the Chargers, but the downside of this system is it's 2.25" pipes in my mind. If you plan on modding out your Charger to the extreme, the 2.25" pipes could become restrictive and actually cost you power the more horsepower you add. Magnaflow for example doesn't recommend 2.25" pipes above 350 horsepower.

The best way to compare these two system is to say this:

Magnaflow 15628: 2.5", three muffler, stainless steel, not so loud until you're heavily modified, $631.29 shipped (great value, add to cart in our webstore)

Borla 140125: 2.25", two muffler, stainless steel, aggressive without being overbearing, not the best for heavily modified, $859 + $19.95 shipping (promo code BOR125 in our webstore)

Both systems carry lifetime warranties. Both will give you right around the same performance gains (around 12 to 14 rwhp). Both have great fitment, and sound great for what they are. Without knowing more, I can't say one is better for you than the other.

I hope that helps a little bit. We're on the phone all day long answering questions like this. If there's ever a question, don't hesitate to give us a call.

Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
885 Posts
None of them. ZOOMERS!!!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
call me crazy, and it very well may be true... but isnt 12-14 rwhp from ANY catback.... crazy?!?!?!?

aside from that HighHorseman, you seem to be very well versed in comparing catbacks. how would you compare the jba to the borla 125's? (sound level, drone, performance)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very happy with my MagnaFlow catback too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for the imput from everyone

Well i have to say i'm new to the website and i allready like the fast response from others thanx to all

·
Registered
877 Posts
I really like my magnaflows as well. I debated for a while between the magna's as well as the borlas. But chose the magnaflows because they look great and sound great but not too extremely loud. Whatever you get just make sure it is stainless steel. Oh yeah and the polished stainless steel mufflers and 4 inch tips on the magnaflow really set the a** end of these chargers off as well.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
call me crazy, and it very well may be true... but isnt 12-14 rwhp from ANY catback.... crazy?!?!?!?

aside from that HighHorseman, you seem to be very well versed in comparing catbacks. how would you compare the jba to the borla 125's? (sound level, drone, performance)
12 to 14 is about right, high end, from the free-flowing cat-backs. We're told they're around 15 most of the time but we knock off a few to keep it more realistic.

JBA versus 125's. Lets see how we can compare them.

Both are stainless steel. Excellent.

JBA's are a full 2.5" inch exhaust versus the 2.25" Borla 140125's. Advantage JBA

The Borla's are a straight throught, free flowing muffler compared to JBA's mix design that is free flowing but has larger, tapered holes in it's muffler cores and baffles, though they're not in the exhaust flow's stream. Slight Advantage Borla.

Both are two muffler setups and weigh close to the same.

Borla's are a higher grade of Stainless if that matters to you.

Both have the same quality and fit standards from experience.

JBA's have a smaller tip than average and the Borla's have a much bigger tip than average.

The JBA's have a deeper tone, and more rumble due to the baffles (more "flowmasters on a pickup" style sound).

The Borla's have a slightly higher tone, that is smoother than most of the other systems, though it is aggressive and does rumble. Almost a more "European Muscle Car" sound, if there were a such thing. There isn't and I made up this a long time ago, but it somehow gets my point across. lol

JBA's are heard more, at least they're more noticeable inside the cabin during highway cruising speeds. This is due to the additional rumble and deeper tone. The Borla's are (to me) considerably quieter at cruise, due to their mufflers and their smaller pipe size. JBA's are a slightly more aggressive system than the Borla's.

JBA's are under $500 shipped. Borla's are under $900 shipped.

Both have limited lifetime warranties and it is extremely rare that we have to do a warranty claim on these manufacturers.

And both are in-stock at HHP, which is the best part of all. :silenced:

I couldn't help that one.

Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
I suppose it's simply a matter of preference. I opted with the Borla 125 pkg.
I've had 'em on for about 5 weeks now and I constantly receive compliments from both strangers, coworkers, and friends alike on how good the system sounds. Additionally, many are surprised at how "quiet" it is at idle but sounds like such a beast under WOT.
I also like that the drone is not unbearable on the highway but yet just nice to listen to. I find myself turning down the radio now just to enjoy the rumble as I cruise around. I'll admit though, that they're a bit louder when driving 'round town. But that obviously has more to do with the constant stopping/accelarating than anything. Best of luck dude, I'm sure either system will do you well!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
damn josh, thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated :)

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Any time. We have to know every performance part we sell. And installing all of these parts and working on numerous LX's each week with different combinations, especially exhausts, we get to experience more than any of our competitors by far. We're the only shop that actually tailors to the LX's and the HEMI's. We know what's good and what's, well, I might as well just say it, crap. We won't recommend crap unless you specifically ask for crap. lol

Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the dynatech long tube header (GSM) with mopar muffler and borla tips. the car made more HP, but the exhaust had a nice hot rod sound. I was impress with the performance just by swap the complete system. you might want to look at the GSM web-site. they have some sweet system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Cherry Bomb catback with the Vortex mufflers and love it! Nice rumble when started or opened up, quiet at idle, and almost zero cabin drone. Louder with the windows open, but if I get tired of the sound, I just close the windows and the noise is dampened and tolerable. Would definitely reccommend it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Simple question,
If you purchase an exhaust system online and dont want or can install them yourselves, will a place like Midas or another shop install the exhaust?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts