Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i am confused. i have the rt charger with the road and track package that came with the upgraded suspention and interior and 20 inch "chrome wheels" but i touch them and tap them and they really dont feel like metal/chrome? so what are they made out of? thanks ;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
They are an aluminum rim with chrome plated plastic covers glued onto them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i was mad pissed when i found this out

·
Registered
433 Posts
like 9 months ago, but they look sick

·
Registered
230 Posts
But look at what you paid for them on the invoice... ouch could have had much better for that price!

·
Registered
708 Posts
But look at what you paid for them on the invoice... ouch could have had much better for that price!
Not really. Got mine for the same price as a standard RT (without the Road & Track pkg). I like these rims better than most aftermarket rims anyway. I'll admit the plastic part is not cool, but the wheels look great.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are they gonna turn ugly in the future?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
If you're one of those folks that uses automatic car washes they'll get scratched up in short order. If not, and you stay away from the curbs, they should hold up OK.

Best,

·
Registered
174 Posts
Chrysler has used this setup on many other car models for a while now, but have not had any serious problems with them.

The problem they had was with the clear coat they put on the small exposed aluminum portion, on the outer edge where the tires makes contact with the rim.

In some cased, the clear coat peels off and leaves the unpolished aluminum exposed. Not a serious issue, only cosmetic. Makes the outer edge look slightly dirty.

I know for a fact that the problem exists on other models (300C, among others), so I assume some Chargers will develop a similar problem.

Just keep your eyes open while the car is under warranty.

...Ben...

·
Registered
629 Posts
are they the same material as used on the 300c wheels? a friend of mine has a 300c hemi with 97,000 miles on it and his rims look brand new. they havent lost shine or discolored anywhere, and they havent scratched at all. he just keeps a coat of wax on them and washes them with a pure lambs wool mit.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I noticed this last night (my 2nd night with the car)...

talk about weak...

I wonder what they look like with the covers off?

I am thinking of removing them to see, that is unless someone else has already done this...

I was then going to powdercoat the wheels without the now unpowdercoatable plastic covers...

:-/

·
Registered
424 Posts
I spent 30 minutes going through old and newer threads about these wheels and no pic's of the chrome plastic removed...

I have seen someone say it looks like a rough metal...

Well, they are suposed to be an aluminum alloy wheel of some kind, if they are unfinished, thats fine... I am wondering what the spokes them selves look like... Can polish the metal smooth and powdercoat or even leave polished depending on the person...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts