Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like someone to explain to me exactly what resonators are and what purpose they serve? Can anyone help? Thanks

Lance

·
Registered
352 Posts
there a small type low restricted muffler that is after the main muffler to help keep the noise down. the srt-4 has no muffler just a resanator and cat.we use to take our mufflers off and use them in the 60s when nhra made pure stock classes run thru there mufflers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Resonators are basically air baffels. The purpose of resonators, generally is to allow a certain acoustic sound to be generated.

For purpose here...A resonator is designed to give a Magnum, Charger, or 300C a more subtle and yet aggressive sound, which would be expected to hear as compared to the V6 verisons of the same vehicle.

Certain cars with big engines, for example luxury cars would be expected to be fast, but not loud, so a Bently sedan would have a resonator added ( to be more quite), as compared to a mustang which would be , by deisign, to have a more throaty sound.

Because resonators, also deflect interiorly the air flow, they can also use there design to increase the air flow exiting, as compared to a regular exhast which just lets the air spit out.

This in turn can alow a better combustion, and explusion process, which in turn saves gas by increasing the used fuel (same reason why air filers (like K&N, save more gas then a standard air filer). Some fuel may not be used in your engine.

Hard for me to explain, but to make it simple....An engine is designed to let a certain amount of air and fuel to mix. If the fuel (exploded by the spark plug), does not have extra air, some fuel may not burn. and is in effect expelled and wasted (ever smell an old cars exhaust???). While by allowing extra air (air filer), the fuel is allowed more combustion (more horsepower), and the expelled fuel (exhaust) is exited from the engine faster, allowing fast combustion...faster car...

Note: Combustion, is an explosion of heat and force. Most newer cars use the Alumine engines, because an alumine engine is more flexable over time then a cast iron block engine.

However, for racing etc...a 600 HP race car also has the engine broken down after every race and componets replaced etc, and by design can stand substantial pressures....so dont mix the race car, and the (lucky if I change) my oil every 3000 miles daily car you drive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, basically these resonators NEED to be on the Hemi's? I mean...the 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi's are v8 engines and I'd much rather have the more aggressive sound and not supress it. So, since I'm planning on getting the SRT8 Charger do I NEED these resonators or can I get a a Borla or another header/exhaust system that doesn't have them? I've always had mustangs up to this point and I am more used to the aggressive sound...I like it much better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming this is more for people who like the SLEEPER cars so no one knows they've got anything under the hood. :) I'm more the old muscle kind of guy. I like hearing the deep, rumble and the fact that people hear me 2 blocks away. The sound is one of the things I always liked about my stang so I want to try to get as much of that sound from the Charger as I can. There may even be a couple more exhaust systems come out without the resonators by the time the SRT8 Charge does. Something maybe a bit less expensive than the Borla. I know it's a good quality exhaust system but I like the flowmasters myself. So far though it looks like the flowmaster kit has the resonators as well. Anyone know if they make a system without resonators...besides the Borla.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ok... if I didnt have 200 posts to read thru in the short time I do, I'd try and find it. But folks, please do some SEARCHing with the nice forum tool to see if your question might be answered elsewhere. I KNOW there was a thread on this within the past month and I remember it had a link to the LXForum or 300Forum that included pictures of mufflers and the resonator cut up so you could see how it was configured inside the can.

EDIT: Here is the link to the cut out of the resonators.

Just a quick summarization (based on the R/T), the big suitcase thing that has two pipes going in is the muffler. Coming out of it are twin pipes leading to two resonators near the back bumper. Yes some would say mini-muffler, due to it having two chambers. Its sole purpose is to cut down on drone and help quite the exhaust sound. Do you NEED resonators, no. If you want to cut them out and replace them with a straight pipe to your outlets, go ahead. You might gain an HP or two but you WILL have to live with some drone.

If you want to reduce drone, increase airflow and gain a nice growl to the exhaust tone, then you will have to have your system reworked. A local shop can either customize one, or install one you purchase (Zoomers, Borla, Flowmaster, etc.) Its a choice. There is a big wide web of information out there about them, use google and yahoo to search for the information and make the determination for yourself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, sorry about the repost...I'm kind of new here but I did think I researched pretty well before coming out with that repost...I guess I just missed it. My apologies. And as far as researching getting a system without the resonators and getting the info I just couldn't seem to find anything on them...other than the Bolra 125 system mentioned in one of the posts, all the other ones seem to have resonators...I checked with flowmaster too and they only list a system with resonators. It was only after that extensive checking to see WHAT they are and what systems don't have them that I deicided to check to see if there were any posts on here. When I didn't see one, I posted. The last thing I want to do is waste anyones time. I also apologize for not using the search feature but as I stated, I am a bit new here and didn't realize there was one. In summation, my apologies and thanks for giving me the information again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So having no resonator will both increase HP (a bit) and increase noise level, with the sacrifice of having a bit of drone?

Ok, somebody try to explain what drone is lol. Im really new at all this, so.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Wildcard313 said:
So having no resonator will both increase HP (a bit) and increase noise level, with the sacrifice of having a bit of drone?
Don't know about the HP but you can hear the engine better w/o resonators.

Ok, somebody try to explain what drone is lol. Im really new at all this, so.
In simple terms, think of it this way... A pipe organ has a certain length and diameter pipe to make a tone. When the air is pushed through that pipe, at the correct volume and speed, the pipe "resonates" and generates a note.

The exhaust pipe has the same properties. It's fixed diameter and length of pipe will produce a "tone" when a certain amount of exhaust is pushed through it. When the engine is in a particular RPM range, the air volume out the pipe creates this tone, aka drone.

The resonators use both sound cancellation (bouncing sound against itself) and changing the overall length (multiple folds of pipe) to reduce the drone.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts