Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I took my 2007 Charger R/T to Famoso Raceway for a track rental day.

Anyway, I raced the Charger to a best of 14.3 @97mph. I am happy with the car except with my hole shot.

I am only able to get 2.2-2.3 60ft times mostly due to the car not wanting to launch worth a damn. I am VERY experienced drag racer as I still have a drag car currently. I am fairly sure the computer is limited the car's power down low. I can't even break the tires lose with the ESP disabled (via turning the key while driving) from a dig without footbraking.

When I race, the car is a pig out of the hole even footbraking @ WOT. Soon as the car hits about 3000 rpm the car really comes to life and pulls like a raped ape. Its almost like turbo lag without a turbo.

I am pretty pissed that the car can't even roast its 235mm tires with 340HP/390TQ.

I am willing to buy/upgrade bolt-ons, but does anyone else have the same problem and/or knows the cause and fix?

Thank you in advance for your time guys.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I am willing to buy/upgrade bolt-ons, but does anyone else have the same problem and/or knows the cause and fix?

Sorry about that. I don't know what happened. Anyhoo, what I tried to say was that I see that one of your future mods is nthe Predator. I'd be willing to bet that it will take care of your problem. I bought one for my SRT and was so impressed with the improvement in performance that I bought another for my wife's RT. She loves it as well.

·
Registered
953 Posts
this is going to be one of those post that goes both ways
my daytona smokes a little bit with the esp on
smokes them pretty good with them off
and that without brake torqueing

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Turn off your ESP!!!!

Yesterday I took my 2007 Charger R/T to Famoso Raceway for a track rental day.

Anyway, I raced the Charger to a best of 14.3 @97mph. I am happy with the car except with my hole shot.

I am only able to get 2.2-2.3 60ft times mostly due to the car not wanting to launch worth a damn. I am VERY experienced drag racer as I still have a drag car currently. I am fairly sure the computer is limited the car's power down low. I can't even break the tires lose with the ESP disabled (via turning the key while driving) from a dig without footbraking.

When I race, the car is a pig out of the hole even footbraking @ WOT. Soon as the car hits about 3000 rpm the car really comes to life and pulls like a raped ape. Its almost like turbo lag without a turbo.

I am pretty pissed that the car can't even roast its 235mm tires with 340HP/390TQ.

How can you not smoke your tires :confused:
I have 20" rims with 245/50/20 on my HEMI an I can go outside, jump in, turn it on, turn OFF ESP an smoke the **** out of my tires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Drive like you stole it. I followed this advice, and in the last week, it feels like my 3.5 is now a hemi. I am willing to bet I could get a burnout.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Guys, fill up on some 93 octane 2 or 3 days before the track.
Go practice some launches on back roads. Autostick to redline from time to time.

Drive a bit more aggressively till you get to the track.
Get the car cool early
Load the torque converter to 1500 on streets, 2000 on drag radials.

You'll steal an extra .15 to .30 with just that formula.

DJ

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hmm, strange, with ESP enable I'm easily able to chirp my tires, with it partially off, I can easily let loose my tires, and if I'm not careful the rear end will go out from under me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am fairly sure the computer is limited the car's power down low. I can't even break the tires lose with the ESP disabled (via turning the key while driving) from a dig without footbraking.
That's weird...I can break the tires loose even with ESP on! But it's because of the crappy stock all-season rubber :knockout:

·
Registered
109 Posts
What RPM are you powerbraking to? These cars hold you back if you do much more loading of the stock convertor than 1500 rpm on the stock pcm, try it once at a higher RPM and you will see what I am saying. Then shut the car off and restart and try again at 1500 rpm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update.....

Okay guys, I went out tonight and I can now get the tires to spin off the line and I really get them smoking while powerbraking.

From what I can figure, the track was just really well prepped with VHT and it was sticky enough to not allow my tires to spin. Still, I couldn't get the tires to break loose on the street prior to going to the track either.

However, I still notice that I still really don't get alot of low end power. It still doesn't pull as well as I think it should until 3000+ RPM.

Perhaps a Predator tuner is in my future.

I am already in the process of modifying my stock air box by sealing the snorkel to the lower sheet metal and replacing the stock rubber and plastic tubbing with a 3.5" diameter straight piece of polished aluminum and a smooth elbow for the TB. I'll replace the stock paper element with a K&N filter to aid in the flow process. I'd argue that the largest power gains with aftermarket CAI come from the smoothness of the piping over the stock rippled tubes and elbow. Time will tell if it works or not. I'll be testing both setups the next time I take the car to the track.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can say without a doubt that my first mod which was the no esp delete (the one that costs 50$) freed up all my low end power. Before that I would launch with the factory esp turn off and the car still seemed to stumble as soon as my tires broke free. After i got the no esp mod it seemed as if I had a new first gear! I couldnt go more than a 1/4 throttle or I would lite my tires up, and im ridding on 22's. Had to learn to launch the car all over! My bro has an 07, and the no esp(key-turn) doesnt work on his, this my be your problem.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Keep the RPMs below 3000 when doing your burnout or the car will shift into 2nd gear. The NO-ESP mod is a VERY good addition. It cuts the power to the module that controls the ESP. I launch at 1500 rpm and have good results. I have also gone from an odle with good results. HAL, the onboard computer, is holding the car back at launch. This is to keep everything together, rear , tranny, etc for the warrenty. With out any heavy mods , it is hard to get these cars under 2 seconds in the 60.
Definately get a Diablosport Preditor. Do an CAI intake,catback and only run on half to 1/4 tank of fuel at the track. Afull tank cost me 2 tenths last week.

Scott

·
Registered
446 Posts
Pull fuse 11. It will surprise you when you do it for the first time - the adaptive tranny thing really slows the car down, but at the same time makes it wife friendly.

Eric

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pull fuse 11. It will surprise you when you do it for the first time - the adaptive tranny thing really slows the car down, but at the same time makes it wife friendly.

Eric
Pull fuse out and leave it out?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened to you @ Famoso. Try pulling the fuse like stated above, i'm sure it will make a difference.

Can you give me some details on this private track rental event you just went to? I'm dying to go back and would love it if i can attend a track rental day.

I'm currently scheduled for a California Dragway event on 11/30/07 and was not aware that Famoso had the same kind of thing going on.

btw any SRT8 there? What did they run?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Actually I think they are 225 mm and I can roast my little doughnuts all day. When I was stock I could break them lose on cool days, but nothing like I can now.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
What EricG said.....the adaptives will get used to street driving and hold you back when you want it .Pull the fuse then go out and beat the hell out of it......you will be very happy with the results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts