Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(glass problem update)Well... Waterspots 2, Invictus 0

Wasn't able to make it to the detail clinic to meet Junkman last weekend but i still washed the car down with the dawn and vinegar (not in the sun and DID NOT LET IT DRY) then clayed the entire car this time instead of just the hood.

result, the whole car just still is covered with some harder trouble spots under the spoiler, on the hood and windows

next on the list of weaponry... some sort of kit from adam's including a PC and all kinds of bottles of car product

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
the hood and spoiler area on these beasts are a PITA... I don't have a garage and mine's a daily driver so I can relate. when I clay though, I would say 99% of the water spots are gone. I'm having trouble with some swirl marks right now, so I need to take care of that

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
My car sits outside too and is a daily driver. I've just been taking it to the automatic car wash (it's expensive...like $14/car wash) but I've never had water spots on it.

Do you have a water softener at home?

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the hood and spoiler area on these beasts are a PITA... I don't have a garage and mine's a daily driver so I can relate. when I clay though, I would say 99% of the water spots are gone though. I'm having trouble with some swirl marks right now, so I need to take care of that
yeah this car is basically coated in swirl marks too, i'm hoping i can get a PC kit by christmas at the latest and get it back to looking good, but im worried about how to get under the spoiler, it was hard enough with my hand and a clay bar

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
yeah this car is basically coated in swirl marks too, i'm hoping i can get a PC kit by christmas at the latest and get it back to looking good, but im worried about how to get under the spoiler, it was hard enough with my hand and a clay bar
just unbolt the spoiler and go to town:cowsmile:

you can always buy that adams swirl remover and try it by hand to see how it works that way... that's how I'm going to start

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Wow, those are nasty water spots!

I had some because my water is hard (we have our own well) so I know how it feels. I believe the water even etched some parts on my rear bumper...hahaha, naw...those must be the burn marks from the hot rubber after a nice burnout! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car sits outside too and is a daily driver. I've just been taking it to the automatic car wash (it's expensive...like $14/car wash) but I've never had water spots on it.

Do you have a water softener at home?
i accidentally put a spray wax on the car before i really knew what wax does, the waterspots weren't really that visible but i think its partially from the sprinkler too - that my apartment randomly runs, its some weird crap it sprays out too, not just water. the water here is pretty hard too so it doesnt help.

i used to take it through the auto wash and never had a problem lol (before i moved) but im sure its because of a mix of my ignorance (at the time) to the waxing and the sprinkler garbage

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
mines a daily too! Never had any issues till i moved to south texas....we have sum of the hardest water in the world and i`m not kiddn! Mine never got as bad as yours InvicuSRT8. I have never used a clay bar....i use Zymol cleaner wax to remove spots and other blemishes. Then i go back over it with meguires gold class wax. when i first got down here i had a nightmare too.....spots were everywhere! Try that and see what happens. If you can`t get em out i would suggest a professional detailer with a buffer that knows what he or she is doing...which is rare. I got 90% of my spots with the method i mentioned above....the rest will eventually come out as long as you use nothing but treated, spot free water @ the car wash. You can also do what i did and still do to this day......i go to the car wash and go with nothing but spot free in a bucket with meguires gold class wash soap and as i wash a section i immediatly rinse it off...with spotfree. After the car is washed and ready to be dried, i use bottled water in a spray bottle and i rewet each surface....top, hood, trunk ect and wipe down with microfiber towels only. My car is almost 2 years old and people tell me it looks brandnew almost everyday...hope this helps and goodluck!

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mines a daily too! Never had any issues till i moved to south texas....we have sum of the hardest water in the world and i`m not kiddn! Mine never got as bad as yours InvicuSRT8. I have never used a clay bar....i use Zymol cleaner wax to remove spots and other blemishes. Then i go back over it with meguires gold class wax. when i first got down here i had a nightmare too.....spots were everywhere! Try that and see what happens. If you can`t get em out i would suggest a professional detailer with a buffer that knows what he or she is doing...which is rare. I got 90% of my spots with the method i mentioned above....the rest will eventually come out as long as you use nothing but treated, spot free water @ the car wash. You can also do what i did and still do to this day......i go to the car wash and go with nothing but spot free in a bucket with meguires gold class wash soap and as i wash a section i immediatly rinse it off...with spotfree. After the car is washed and ready to be dried, i use bottled water in a spray bottle and i rewet each surface....top, hood, trunk ect and wipe down with microfiber towels only. My car is almost 2 years old and people tell me it looks brandnew almost everyday...hope this helps and goodluck!
cool, thanks for the info-i never thought of rewetting it with a spray bottle, i always just constantly respray the car so it stays wet until im ready to dry it but your method is a bit simpler and easier lol.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
cool, thanks for the info-i never thought of rewetting it with a spray bottle, i always just constantly respray the car so it stays wet until im ready to dry it but your method is a bit simpler and easier lol.
No prob bro! Just trying to help out a fellow BLACK car owner.......it might be a pain to keep clean, but you just can`t beat a clean black car!:beerchug:

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Dammm those are some bad spots, hope you get it figured out....

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
just unbolt the spoiler and go to town:cowsmile:

you can always buy that adams swirl remover and try it by hand to see how it works that way... that's how I'm going to start
Nah, don't waste your money or time doing Swirl and Haze Remover by hand. Yes, it can be done but you'll remove about 1 water spot an hour by hand. I wish you could have made it to the clinic. Did you see the results that I got on that black SRT? I could have done the same on yours. You are not going to remove them without a buffer and the longer you wait, the harder they are going to be to remove. Especially if they etch themselves into the clear coat.

I'll be in Carlisle from Thursday to Sunday this weekend!

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Nah, don't waste your money or time doing Swirl and Haze Remover by hand. Yes, it can be done but you'll remove about 1 water spot an hour by hand. I wish you could have made it to the clinic. Did you see the results that I got on that black SRT? I could have done the same on yours. You are not going to remove them without a buffer and the longer you wait, the harder they are going to be to remove. Especially if they etch themselves into the clear coat.

I'll be in Carlisle from Thursday to Sunday this weekend!
I'm located in CT... I don't trust myself with a buffer:cowsmile:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You'd have to feed me. That might be a bit much for both of you. I have a Godzilla sized tapeworm and 3 stomachs. :D

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well... a sad slight update, the spots on the glass seem to be getting worse with each rain.

here's a shot of the windshield

its a PITA to drive with them basically skewing my vision of the road (especially if it's kinda humid out.

is there anything harsher i can use on the glass at least for now?

the rest of the car is the same ole gahbage it has been
something funny on a side note, i accidentally dripped a dot of gas on the side of the car when taking out the pump and upon wiping it off the waterspots below it disappeared... so im considering going zoolander on the car (the scene where they're at the gas station... you know the one ;D )

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
well... a sad slight update, the spots on the glass seem to be getting worse with each rain.

here's a shot of the windshield

its a PITA to drive with them basically skewing my vision of the road (especially if it's kinda humid out.

is there anything harsher i can use on the glass at least for now?

the rest of the car is the same ole gahbage it has been
something funny on a side note, i accidentally dripped a dot of gas on the side of the car when taking out the pump and upon wiping it off the waterspots below it disappeared... so im considering going zoolander on the car (the scene where they're at the gas station... you know the one ;D )
You don't need anything harsher, you need to use the correct product with the proper technique. Too bad you didn't come to the clinic. I was all ready to make your problem go away.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
did you try a claybar on the glass... sorry if I missed it

also, I just purchased a Adam's Detail Kit with a PC... I got some swirls and water spots on my hood...

With my basic 1 speed buffer, I was able to make most of the water spots disappear, so I'm happy for now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts