Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in Minneapolis, MN, where you can see the large parking lot from the millions of windows that we have at the building. My friends and I park in the same row in the back where only the nice cars park, well today my friends Dodge Magnum was broken into by smashing a small hole by the door lock and lifting the door lock. He stole his built in GPS unit/Stereo. My car is right next to him (we park every other parking spot.) I can’t believe we didn’t see it since we sit right by the windows at work and so far nobody saw anything from the building from the other floors. Luckily they didn’t go for mine. Do you guys know of anything that I can buy so if they do break in, they cannot steal my GPS unit that is built in. I am afraid that if I get a car alarm that they will smash/take my electronics and run before I can run down to the first floor and try to chase them. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
You can always put a lil wireless cam on the outside of the window you sit at, with the monitor on your desk

And keep a .50 cal sniper rifle near by

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There is nothing you can do. If they break in to steal your built-in unit, it's best to just let them steal it. Some people tie it down from behind with 1 million gauge steel reinforcements and the like, but that will just get your car and dash even more damaged. The thief will steal it, but it would suck more if it got stolen (or didn't) and your dash was all screwed up because of the extra effort.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is nothing you can do. If they break in to steal your built-in unit, it's best to just let them steal it. Some people tie it down from behind with 1 million gauge steel reinforcements and the like, but that will just get your car and dash even more damaged. The thief will steal it, but it would suck more if it got stolen (or didn't) and your dash was all screwed up because of the extra effort.
Very good point, I just hate the fact that they know my car is there, and I really can’t do anything about it, worried that I am the next target.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There is one way to deter it. Since you two are buds and always park next to each other, park your car facing in and have your buddy back his in tight against your passenger door. Passenger door to passenger door. Then have someone pull in tight against your driver door. Their pass door to your driver door. Then, no one could get into your car, and you wouldn't have to worry about door dings. You also wouldn't be able to leave without one of them leaving first.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is one way to deter it. Since you two are buds and always park next to each other, park your car facing in and have your buddy back his in tight against your passenger door. Passenger door to passenger door. Then have someone pull in tight against your driver door. Their pass door to your driver door. Then, no one could get into your car, and you wouldn't have to worry about door dings. You also wouldn't be able to leave without one of them leaving first.
LOL LOL!!! I like that idea!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Not only are you saved from door dings, so are the other two because they'll be so close to your parking spot. A selling point for you to convince them to sacrifice their cars for you.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My buddy has an anti theft setup on his radio that discharges 20k volts to the poor sap that is trying to steal the radio/nav unit. It will keep discharging until the 2 batteries in the trunk hooked up to it are drained. He picked it up when he was living in Japan. Can't say it's legal but there is 1 person so far that won't try that again...:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy has an anti theft setup on his radio that discharges 20k volts to the poor sap that is trying to steal the radio/nav unit. It will keep discharging until the 2 batteries in the trunk hooked up to it are drained. He picked it up when he was living in Japan. Can't say it's legal but there is 1 person so far that won't try that again...:biggrin:
LOL, hmmm, i'll have to do some googling lol. :rockon:

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I was younger I always had the thought that as long as you park next to a nicer car you don't have much to worry about...

Alas, now I have the nicer car! And even worse, I'm so worried about doors opening into me that I try not to park next to anyone!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Go and buy 1 or 2 webcams, they don't need to be fancy, but large enough where the thief can see them. They don't have to be hooked up, but the crook will have no clue if they are live or not, and will move on......put one on each side of the dash, facing the door......then remove them when you leave work...........

What the heck...what does it cost, $40 bucks? Maybe I am talking out loud, and this makes no sense...:smoke:

- Mark

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go and buy 1 or 2 webcams, they don't need to be fancy, but large enough where the thief can see them. They don't have to be hooked up, but the crook will have no clue if they are live or not, and will move on......put one on each side of the dash, facing the door......then remove them when you leave work...........

What the heck...what does it cost, $40 bucks? Maybe I am talking out loud, and this makes no sense...:smoke:

- Mark
I have a feeling the crook wouldn't notice them... cameras arent something you'd expect to find at all in a car..... a little red blinking light would probably be better... I think autozone has a little one that'll plug into a cig lighter and blink on and off to make people think you have an alarm.... Needless to say, though, that even that won't stop a lot of crooks.... One idea is to put up signs around the parking lot that say "these premises are monitored on closed circuit television" We had these signs around the parking lot where I used to work, and it seemed to work... weather there are actually cameras or not doesn't matter, the signs are usually enough.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
IMO no point worrying about things you cant control.... if they break in, they break in. If they dont, they dont. Cant really stop people, so there s no point worrying

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back when I was younger I used to allways solder the old fashioned razor blades to the back of the stereo. I don't know if you grasp our radios from the back or not to take them out but this worked wonders in the 80's on my Clarions (flashback moment). I didn't mind cleaning up the blood stains on my carpet while listening to my stereo that I still had. Saved me at least 3 stereos.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Back when I was younger I used to allways solder the old fashioned razor blades to the back of the stereo. I don't know if you grasp our radios from the back or not to take them out but this worked wonders in the 80's on my Clarions (flashback moment). I didn't mind cleaning up the blood stains on my carpet while listening to my stereo that I still had. Saved me at least 3 stereos.

I think these are awesome ideas :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts