Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got an issue i'd like to run by you guys....

while driving in autostick and keeping the RPMs high (4500-5500) i get a really weird noise something like whoo, whoo, whooo.... kind of like a rotating whistle.

really strange... i know whining sound is normal due to the gears and the like but this is totally different.

heres a video of what i'm talking about i know its not very audible due to the exhaust sound but 15 and 20 seconds into the video you can hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfVF6jpVUL4

anyone face anything like this before? btw other than the sound their is nothing to indicate anything is wrong.. no vibrations, no harsh shifts etc...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Someone please explain this! My Charger made the same noise a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't in autostick.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone please explain this! My Charger made the same noise a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't in autostick.
Mopar Girl.. i get the sound while not in autostick too.. i just used autostick to get the sound to be clearly audible... still waiting to get to the dealer.. but their plan is to check the trans fluid and replace it and check from their on.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
wow when i read the post, i was just thinking, hey my car does that when im in autostick but then i saw the vid and i was like WTH?? never heard of anything like that

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow when i read the post, i was just thinking, hey my car does that when im in autostick but then i saw the vid and i was like WTH?? never heard of anything like that
yup their is a whining sound which is normal on all LX's but this one is totally strange... i'll do my best to get it fixed as the sound is getting more audible and happens much more frequently than before...

the thought is always in the back of my head that something is seriously wront with the car and that it would make a big mess of things! hope thats not the case tho.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definitely don't want it to be anything major. I'm replacing those bushings around that plug on the passenger side this weekend and maybe once that's done and fluid is okay it will stop. If anyone finds out what it is let me know.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK its been two months and i only got the car serviced 2 days ago (15500 miles)..
the dealer says theirs nothing wrong and the tranny is only making the noise coz its in high Rpm as far as they are concerned its a non-issue!
i cant blame them really coz under normal driving and letting the car do its buisness the sound is not present. it only when i down shift or hold RPM's so i can get a good rolling start that i get the sound.

what they did do is suggest i change the tranny oil (was aprehensive considering the car has onlt 15500 miles) but they bit off half the cost so i said what the heck i'll give it a shot.

result... the sound is still present (although not as noisy as before) but good news is that they didnt find anything abnormal in the oil no shavings or particles.

so basically i'm gonna live with it... oh and the good thing is at the next major service i will get a 200$ deduction as i wont have to replace the tranny oil and i paid half price on this oil change!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
wow, that sounds like a$$.... definitely NOT normal "tranny whine" you should get that looked at, seriously... weird how it warbles....

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing. I've been wondering if it is a resonance between normal tranny pump or gear noise and the high rpm exhaust note. The same sound is produced in 1st and 2nd gear between 3000 & 5000 rpm's so it's not gear specific. When two sounds are created with almost the same frequency, there is a "beat frequency" generated that is the difference between the two primary frequencies. That is what you hear as the "warble" noise in the video. The warble actually slows down as engine rpm's go up meaning that the two primary sounds are approaching the same frequency and the beat frequency gets slower. That's my theory anyway.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
^^^^^^^ i agree . I cant seem to see a good shot of the rpm vs speed when the noise is happening but it sounds as though its definetly a rotational noise. Sounds like maybe a bad u joint in the driveshaft :confused: i hear it but i wish i could be there to see when it does it , what gears and what rpms.
If its rpm specific and not gear specific its most likely in the drivetrain. could be axles, driveshaft, tranny, or pinion or even backlash out of adjustment
If its speed related it could be hub/bearing axle related.
If its rpm related and changes directly with rpm it could be engine even. If there is any difference say a (happens 1.5 times for every 1 time of engine) thing its likely tranny or drivetrain. Remember the drivetrain only runs at a direct ratio to the engine in fourth gear, all other times it will run (make noise) more or less when compared to engine rpm

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^^^^^ i agree . I cant seem to see a good shot of the rpm vs speed when the noise is happening but it sounds as though its definetly a rotational noise. Sounds like maybe a bad u joint in the driveshaft :confused: i hear it but i wish i could be there to see when it does it , what gears and what rpms.
If its rpm specific and not gear specific its most likely in the drivetrain. could be axles, driveshaft, tranny, or pinion or even backlash out of adjustment
If its speed related it could be hub/bearing axle related.
If its rpm related and changes directly with rpm it could be engine even. If there is any difference say a (happens 1.5 times for every 1 time of engine) thing its likely tranny or drivetrain. Remember the drivetrain only runs at a direct ratio to the engine in fourth gear, all other times it will run (make noise) more or less when compared to engine rpm
i wish my service tech was like this.. he only focused on the fact that i was in high RPms and that was it! the noise is my fault!

to answer some of your questions wicked:
the noise is not speed dependent, in the video i'm able to reproduce the noise in both 1st and 2nd gears the common factor between both is the rpm, approx range is 4300 - 5000
in first gear the speed is around 35mph and in second around 68mph
the noise only happens when i'm holding the rpm or going thru the rpm slowly i.e holding to get a good rolling launch or engine braking.

i'm not sure about other gears but i wont risk going to 3rd @ 4300RPM to test if the noise is present!

also something to note is that if go wot from 0-80mph the sound is not present as i go thru the rpm range too fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts