Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really hard for me to write. Do you know how when you feel sick but you don't want to go to the doctor to find out what it really is? That's the way I feel now. After driving, I can step out of my car and smell something weird. It's definitely not coolant and not coming from the engine bay. I know what those smells are and what they smell like. This smell can best be described as something you might smell when something had gotten too hot, but was not burning. But other than that, I really can't describe it. I will say that my SLP catback was put on 1 1/2 months ago, and my brakes 3 weeks ago. Do you guys think this smell could be coming from either of those sources? Any advice would be great cause I'm getting sick to my stomach because of this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
any plastic bags get stuck and melt to a hot exhaust pipe?
Yeah, Wife left a small dark colored pillow in the center of the garage and I drove right over it, (not seeing it in the dark garage) and when I got out of the car it smelled like crazy. For about a week afterwards it smelled everytime I got out. I had to crawl under there and scrape off the melted items before it would stop smelling.

Could be something simple, don't freak out yet.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That's what I thought it would be , had the same years ago ,funny smell like fumes of methanol and oil .
Glad you know where it came from.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'd take a look underneath your car and if you cant find something there touch the calipers and see how hot they get?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never really thought about something melting against the pipes, but it makes sense. Are there any other suggestions? I will definitely get under the car after work and look. I haven't touched the calipers either so I'll try that as well. The smell doesn't last very long, mabye for 15-30 seconds after the car is turned off. I'm doing my best not to panic but it's hard ya know, 60,000 miles almost with NO problems at all and she's my baby.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and just because I mention my new brakes/rotors and exhaust doesn't necessarily mean that those are catch all areas. Anything will help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
This is really hard for me to write. Do you know how when you feel sick but you don't want to go to the doctor to find out what it really is? That's the way I feel now. After driving, I can step out of my car and smell something weird. It's definitely not coolant and not coming from the engine bay. I know what those smells are and what they smell like. This smell can best be described as something you might smell when something had gotten too hot, but was not burning. But other than that, I really can't describe it. I will say that my SLP catback was put on 1 1/2 months ago, and my brakes 3 weeks ago. Do you guys think this smell could be coming from either of those sources? Any advice would be great cause I'm getting sick to my stomach because of this.
There were a few threads on this.... Possible issues:
1. Differential fluid needs to be changed (usually at 30k). Smells like sulfer.
2. Cats need to be replaced. Smells like sulfer.
3. Parking brake is hanging. Smells like burning brakes. Pump you park brake on\off, see if it helps.
4. Plastic on Exhaust. Smells like plastic.... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks roman, that gives me a few more options. One quick question, how might I replace the differential fluid? That is something I've never done. I did "check" underneath the car last night and did not see any plastic except for the SLP stickers that were already melted and falling off.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Ok thanks roman, that gives me a few more options. One quick question, how might I replace the differential fluid? That is something I've never done. I did "check" underneath the car last night and did not see any plastic except for the SLP stickers that were already melted and falling off.
I would look at the fluid as the next possible culprit. I think it is on the 30k service list, so I would just have the dealer do it during an oil change. The way I see it, paying for the dealer to do it is a small price to pay versus the cost of doing it wrong. Otherwise, if you post a "How do I...." thread, you will likely get some feedback from folks that have done it before.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm having a difficult time deciding what the smell "smells" like. I'm not really sure I've ever smelled buring brakes, and I know what sulfur smells like, but this doesn't really smell like sulfur. Although, it could be noted that there might be a sulfur tinge to it. I could definitely/100% be wrong, but it almost smells like it's coming from the exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've noticed mine do that a few times too. Usually when I've been driving around nice and easy for a while then really get into it. It almost smells like something burning or burnt wires inside the car from the vents for about 30 seconds. I've looked several times but never find anything. I know what the other smells are and it doesn't smell like exhaust or brakes to me. Not sure about the differential but it doesn't smell like sulfur either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news...It was just a plastic bag wrapped around the exhaust near the x-pipe. Wasn't able to see it until I jacked up the car to rotate the tires. Most of it was already "embedded" into the the pipe but I did remove all I could. I feel so much better now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts