Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just purchased a 2014 Dodge Charger RT and none of the physical buttons work on my fob. They only gave me one. I replaced the battery even though I didn't think that was the issue and sure enough nothing changed. I have no problem with the other functions like keyless entry and push start. I'd love to get it working but I don't know what else to try. I opened it and everything looks pristine inside. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey all. I just purchased a 2014 Dodge Charger RT and none of the physical buttons work on my fob. They only gave me one. I replaced the battery even though I didn't think that was the issue and sure enough nothing changed. I have no problem with the other functions like keyless entry and push start. I'd love to get it working but I don't know what else to try. I opened it and everything looks pristine inside. Thanks!
I live in Florida and I purchased a 2011 Charger RT last year
They only gave me one fob and it works however
Since I've purchased it
I have heard it is the law in Florida I don't know what other states they have to give you two keys or two fobs when you purchase a car so I'm going to check into that hopefully it's the same in your state good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
The FOB might have to be programmed to the car. It may be a replacement and not the original one. Dealerships will charge two arms and a leg while a reputable shop might do it for just a leg. Call around and get some estimates. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,538 Posts
I live in Florida and I purchased a 2011 Charger RT last year
They only gave me one fob and it works however
Since I've purchased it
I have heard it is the law in Florida I don't know what other states they have to give you two keys or two fobs when you purchase a car so I'm going to check into that hopefully it's the same in your state good luck
Be careful with the “barracks lawyers”. I didn’t spend a lot time searching, granted, but from a quick search I found that they (Florida dealers) have to give you two, if requested. It’s not a requirement for them to offer you two willingly.
Just make sure you check with the proper people before trying to go after them. And no, I’m not the proper people, I just did a quick search.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be careful with the “barracks lawyers”. I didn’t spend a lot time searching, granted, but from a quick search I found that they (Florida dealers) have to give you two, if requested. It’s not a requirement for them to offer you two willingly.
Just make sure you check with the proper people before trying to go after them. And no, I’m not the proper people, I just did a quick search.
👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all. This is similar to stuff found all over the internet, but I haven't yet found the solution.

A week or so ago, one of my two keys (2011 Ridgeline) stopped working completely. The other works perfectly.

I assumed it was a dead fob battery. The surprising thing is that the key would not even turn in the lock; every fobbed vehicle I've ever owned would at least allow you to use the physical key to open the door if the fob failed. It also will not turn in the ignition. It's as if it's totally the wrong key (except, read the story below).
epoxy flooring arizona
So I'm wondering how to fix this. Can I reprogram it? I've seen videos for reprogramming, but you have to turn the key in the ignition, and this key won't turn. Advice?

Now an odd story. I can't see how this is relevant, but I'll mention it anyway, 'cause it's interesting.

Just after my key stopped working, my wife brought home a key to my father-in-law's CRV, hoping I could fix it for him. The plastic had failed and the metal (key) part jiggled around so much that it wouldn't turn. The key is outwardly identical to my Ridgeline key.

A couple of days ago, I needed to move the car--it was parked on the street in a city, and there's a parking ban once a week, so I had to move it--but I had grabbed the wrong key: the bad Ridgeline key. It didn't work of course: fob didn't work, wouldn't turn in the lock as usual. So I called my son and asked him to bring out the correct key. Instead, he grabbed my father-in-laws key. (It's easy to tell them apart because his is on a key ring, and it's broken, but my son didn't notice.)

As he approached the car, my son hit the fob button. It didn't work of course. But then he used my father-in-law's key in the door--and it opened. In the process, though, it totally broke apart.

I retrieved the pieces and, noticing that it opened the door, decided to try it in the ignition. I stuck the metal part of the key--the key to my father-in-law's CRV--into the ignition. It turned. But it would not start. It was spinning the motor, but apparently there was no spark.

My son ran back inside and got the correct key--the good one--and it started right up with that.

And that's my story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts