Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, big shout out to my dealer (Napleton on Western in Chicago) for opening the service department just for little old me on a Saturday (they are normally closed) to help me figure out that weird A/C noise.

The noise, come to find out, is a weird grinding from the supplemental cooling fan kicking on. The fan normally is to kick on, and yes it is a little louder, but not as loud as mine (like a siren alomost or an old vacuum cleaner). I drove around all morning to get the ride hot enough (it cooled off considerable in Chicago today), and sure enough it made the noise. Now, it is not as loud as when I first heard it, but similar, so at least I know what the problem is. The GM of the dealership, former service manager, thinks it could be a ball bearing issue. But, at least it is not a serious mechanical issue. They gave me a loaner (base-model CALIPER [suckers]) for the WEEK and said I could pick the car up after they call at my convenience.

They also have a new plum crazy on the floor (number 98), and 3 BLACK srt-8's, a Jeep SRT-8, and had a Magnum (sold it). They also had a 300 SRT8 last time when I was there. Apparently, Napleton gets a lot of the SRT models, so if you are in the Chicago area, I would recommend checking them out. Ask for Joe (the GM) or Rob Crane (the President) and tell them "Tall Paul with the Black SRT-8" sent you. Don't deal with a salesman, but deal with the management directly!!!!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Had a VERY similar problem (if not the same) a few weeks back. A/C grinding really loudly (sounded like a fan grinding on something). Turned out it was a "seal" somewhere in the A/C system. There's apparently two -- one on each side. I know this because after getting the seal replaced on one side, I was back at the dealer a few days later when the seal on the other side went out. They were great about replacing them; only big deal was it took overnight to get the parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the Repair Work JAWSS

Did the repair tthey did fix the issue as I am having the same sound only when the AC fan kicks on. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, the problem has not been fully diagnosed yet, but it is definitely the cooling fan. The AC is blowing cold, and on the first trip they checked out the system and no apparent leaks.

My first instinct is that the ball bearings in the secondary fan are all goofed, since the A/C doesn't have signs of trouble. The darn thing only has 3000 miles on it, so its not like its worn out (who knows).

If (god willing when) it is fixed, I will post a full report.

·
Registered
489 Posts
First of all, big shout out to my dealer (Napleton on Western in Chicago) for opening the service department just for little old me on a Saturday (they are normally closed) to help me figure out that weird A/C noise.

The noise, come to find out, is a weird grinding from the supplemental cooling fan kicking on. The fan normally is to kick on, and yes it is a little louder, but not as loud as mine (like a siren alomost or an old vacuum cleaner). I drove around all morning to get the ride hot enough (it cooled off considerable in Chicago today), and sure enough it made the noise. Now, it is not as loud as when I first heard it, but similar, so at least I know what the problem is. The GM of the dealership, former service manager, thinks it could be a ball bearing issue. But, at least it is not a serious mechanical issue. They gave me a loaner (base-model CALIPER [suckers]) for the WEEK and said I could pick the car up after they call at my convenience.

They also have a new plum crazy on the floor (number 98), and 3 BLACK srt-8's, a Jeep SRT-8, and had a Magnum (sold it). They also had a 300 SRT8 last time when I was there. Apparently, Napleton gets a lot of the SRT models, so if you are in the Chicago area, I would recommend checking them out. Ask for Joe (the GM) or Rob Crane (the President) and tell them "Tall Paul with the Black SRT-8" sent you. Don't deal with a salesman, but deal with the management directly!!!!
Glad they are handling it for you, but will they sell you a new one for $500 under Invoice, and still provide great service? If not, call Don Conrad at Champion in Barrington, Il.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I had a horrible noise when I first got the car when the supplemental fans came on and it turned out that there were two of some piece in the assembly where there should have only been one. The fan blades were hitting it and it was nasty.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
As I remember I think there's something in the owners manual recommending to run the A/C for at least 10 minutes every 2 weeks to keep something in there lubricated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry FireMedic23. I am new here and that other site is blocked at work. What does it say the problem is?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that was it - thanks FireMedic. I downloaded the link (my girlfriend did - the tecn nazis here blocked it), and it was the exaqct same problem (they were chewed up).

Appears to be a minor (annoying) design flaw, that like an appendix in the human body, can function without it. Picking her up tomorrow (been with a loaner for a week, sicne I have no time to make it on a weekday).

Hope all other SRT-8 owners take heed. This problem should be addressed by a TSB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts