Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone...

Well, I noticed today when my foot was on the mat, it went down a little further than normal. I lifted it up, and pressed down, and the floorboard under the carpet seems really soft in some places to where you push down, and the rug almost wants to follow......went to the passenger side, and the same thing, but not as soft.....obviously, the driver side gets more use....so I figure.

Is this a Charger thing, or am I the only son of a gun with this complaint?

And what the heck is actually under the rug? A small piece of wood or something?

- Mark

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Geeeeez...I'm afraid to go out and check on this one! You guys with all your problemz are giving me the heebee jeebees!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the issue is not either of those forums posts. The floor is actually soft when you push on it...no humps, and I am nowhere near the gas pedal. Pretty much, the center of the floor.

Thanks,
- Mark

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I suspect this is in places where the sound proofing padding is especially thick.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Hi Everyone...

Well, I noticed today when my foot was on the mat, it went down a little further than normal. I lifted it up, and pressed down, and the floorboard under the carpet seems really soft in some places to where you push down, and the rug almost wants to follow......went to the passenger side, and the same thing, but not as soft.....obviously, the driver side gets more use....so I figure.

Is this a Charger thing, or am I the only son of a gun with this complaint?

And what the heck is actually under the rug? A small piece of wood or something?

- Mark

sorry i dont have time to check the other guys links they posted for you so if this has been said sorry.

Just so you know if you've never had a crown vic police interceptor. Ford had problems of cats overheating on patrol cars. There was a recall. The cats (from prolonged idling) would swell up and melt the floorboard. We had to check the cats and install some aluminum (dyno mat type) heat shield to the floor pans. I have replaced several cats, and intereior carpets on crown vics. We even had to buy a set of shoes once. Thats how the officer knew he had a problem cause his shoe melted to the floor and left his foot when exiting the car. :grin: Just an observation if noone else has helped ya

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry i dont have time to check the other guys links they posted for you so if this has been said sorry.

Just so you know if you've never had a crown vic police interceptor. Ford had problems of cats overheating on patrol cars. There was a recall. The cats (from prolonged idling) would swell up and melt the floorboard. We had to check the cats and install some aluminum (dyno mat type) heat shield to the floor pans. I have replaced several cats, and intereior carpets on crown vics. We even had to buy a set of shoes once. Thats how the officer knew he had a problem cause his shoe melted to the floor and left his foot when exiting the car. :grin: Just an observation if noone else has helped ya
Well, the rug is sure not hot at all.......it just feels like a sponge in the middle...it's strange. The sides of the floor seem firm, just dead center....totally weird.

- Mark

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
could be it got hot once before?? Need to see if that drivers side cat is swelling at all just to be safe. Does it smell ( i.e. mold, burnt, anything)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could be it got hot once before?? Need to see if that drivers side cat is swelling at all just to be safe. Does it smell ( i.e. mold, burnt, anything)
Nope. Nothing........The only thing I can think of is I am not the thinest guy:sick: , and my foot pressure as I get in the car maybe putting a little added stress to it....what is exactly under the rug? (materials before you hit the metal body).

- Mark

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Nope. Nothing........The only thing I can think of is I am not the thinest guy:sick: , and my foot pressure as I get in the car maybe putting a little added stress to it....what is exactly under the rug? (materials before you hit the metal body).

- Mark
maybe some sound deading material but other than that nothing but the unibody. I'm gonna doubt it has anything to do with your size.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Is there a lump on the bottom side of the car where the weak spot is inside? This could be due to a water leak from the windshield also. I have seen tons of police packages with leaks due to the roof mounted lights.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is there a lump on the bottom side of the car where the weak spot is inside? This could be due to a water leak from the windshield also. I have seen tons of police packages with leaks due to the roof mounted lights.
I will have to check.......but it's very dry (the rug)....and it really has not rained here in a while, and it has been about 2 weeks since a wash....so I am perplexed:knockout: I am sure it is something that can wait a month until my oil change, so I don't have to make 2 service calls.

The passenger side is a bit soft too, so there must be some padding under there like some have stated...

- Mark

·
Registered
352 Posts
I noticed the weak spot on each side yesterday as I was installing my NO ESP mod. So, the heat is out, but I'm a pretty big guy as well and I felt it when I was getting in and out of the car. Also the footrest on the drivers side is weak as well. No dents on the underside. I am going to call the dealer today.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I noticed this too when I firt got my Charger, but mainly because I'm used to pretty much no padding down there. I poked at it a bit; it seems to just be the padding.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Pretty simple to tell is the floors weak. Have someone watch the underside while you step on it. If its the floor, they will see it bending.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
or if your real big they will see your feet come crashing through and you'll have a flintstone car:grin:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty simple to tell is the floors weak. Have someone watch the underside while you step on it. If its the floor, they will see it bending.
Just had that checked with the help of a friend...he sees noting when I press down....so I am assuming it must be weak padding or plastic or whatever the heck they put between the rug & floor.....in fact, when you smack the passenger side floor repeatably, you almost hear like a plastic layer rattling.........

- Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mines that way, just think it's weak floorpan construction. No biggie.
I had the same problem, a couple of depressions in the floor, under the carpet on both driver and passenger sides. My charger is hitting the 36k mark so maybe you only start to notice it as the carpet starts to age and stretch.

I asked my dealer to look into it, they did and tell me that there is actually a trough that runs under the carpet - supposedly for access to some bolts - said there's nothing they can do about it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts