Charger Forums banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mine did as well, I just went one step up to get to the forum:

oops.jpg

Will this actually be better or was this change just for change's sake?

·
Administrator
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So far I don't see anything that indicates which threads I've looked because the name/font/color looks the same for all of them.
We have been collecting feedback on this and will be making changes to improve the contrast. Have you tried the other dark view to see if its easier for you to see?
-Philip

·
Administrator
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If there's a new posting where do you click to get to it? I see new messages (based on the time) in threads I've been in but no way to jump to them.
If you click on a thread it should take you to the last post you left off at. This is cookie based so if you clear cache or have not viewed a thread since the software change it will often take you to the start. If you want to go to the end, there is a button in the top right to "Jump To Latest" to take you to the end of the thread.
-Philip

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
So yeah, looks like a back-end software change was made. Not a fan. While some of the new functionality may be great, I'm not going to get over the spacing issue. I've got a nice 4k monitor and the forum list and post list take up about a third of it, horizontally. Multiple browsers.

I'll be checking out if this stays as-is. There's this increasing trend towards sites built for tall and narrow displays, and I just don't tolerate it.

I would've posted this in site feedback, but that area seems gone.

·
Administrator
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So yeah, looks like a back-end software change was made. Not a fan. While some of the new functionality may be great, I'm not going to get over the spacing issue. I've got a nice 4k monitor and the forum list and post list take up about a third of it, horizontally. Multiple browsers.

I'll be checking out if this stays as-is. There's this increasing trend towards sites built for tall and narrow displays, and I just don't tolerate it.

I would've posted this in site feedback, but that area seems gone.
Merged your thread here to keep feedback in one place.

Thanks for sharing,

We will be rolling out weekly updates with new features and tweaks to the settings based upon feedback.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Merged your thread here to keep feedback in one place.

Thanks for sharing,

We will be rolling out weekly updates with new features and tweaks to the settings based upon feedback.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Jeff M
Okay. I'll stick it out for a bit. But seriously... wider. That's my feedback. Almost anything else I can live with.

Thanks for the quick response, by the way.

·
Registered
618 Posts
All the links are saying this? I just want to confirm so I can try to troubleshoot this.
-Philip
Every link in 8 emails gave me that error message. Several of the links were regarding the same thread so there were IIRC only 3 threads involved.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you click on a thread it should take you to the last post you left off at. This is cookie based so if you clear cache or have not viewed a thread since the software change it will often take you to the start. If you want to go to the end, there is a button in the top right to "Jump To Latest" to take you to the end of the thread.
-Philip
I did not clear the cache or the cookies. I did not visit all the threads I was interested in since the software change because it just changed. What you're telling me is the data which keeps track of what threads I was following is gone.

When I click on a thread, old or new, it takes me to the first message.

I do not see a button in the top right to "Jump To Latest" to take you to the end of the thread. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place

·
Registered
618 Posts
We have been collecting feedback on this and will be making changes to improve the contrast. Have you tried the other dark view to see if its easier for you to see?
-Philip
Apparently I have to go back & click on & visit all my old threads in order for any change to be seen in what was visited & what is a new thread, but even then the difference in font is small. I tried the dark mode but the difference is also minimal. It used to be quite apparent which threads were visited & which were new.

What I did was use a small Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) script in Mozilla to change the color of visited links. I have several forums set up this way.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The spacing is just crazy. I'm lucky if two messages fit on a screen. It's just as spaced out in Dark Mode but doesn't look as obvious.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Don't like it, not my cup of tea. Won't be posting or visiting anymore.
Too hard to find anything usefull now.

Good luck, good bye, you can close my account.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
While I think the site is a certainly more responsive, the layout is not very intuitive. Frankly, even though individual pages load much faster, I'm finding that the less useful UI causes me to spend a lot more time actually finding articles that are of interest to me. I've been a member for over a dozen years and have run companies that have built large eCommerce sites and content management systems so please take this as constructive criticism. In its current form, I don't think I'll be spending much time here anymore. I'm not saying that the old site was good (as we all know, it was a dog in terms of performance), but this isn't an improvement in usability for me. I'll check back in a few months and see if things have gotten any better, but I'd be shocked if this change results in an increase in viewership. Good luck with things.

Edit: I'd be curious to know why you guys went with Xenforo. Hosting at GCP was a wise move.

Best,

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of glitchiness on mobile devices. Pressing the login button for example does nothing 9/10 times until it finally pops up the dialog (page fully loaded, guessing it's some cranky js function).

I also don't seem to be getting email notifications for threads I was subscribed to before the update.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts