Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent seen any topics on what waxes everyone is using so I will start one...
I am now using Meguiar's NXT generation Tech Wax. I think its one of the better polymer waxes out there, based on how easy it goes on and off and the shine. Really enhances the color of my RT (midnight blue pearl)
About 15 bucks at Pep Boys.

Also Meguiars has a good leather care product

interested to hear what others are using...

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
johnrx said:
I am now using Meguiar's NXT generation Tech Wax. I think its one of the better polymer waxes out there, based on how easy it goes on and off and the shine. Really enhances the color of my RT (midnight blue pearl)

John
I used the same wax and leather care products...the wax looks great and the leather condintioner worked good. Although I almost slid all of the way through the car after using the leather care. :wink:

·
Registered
245 Posts
johnrx said:

John
Learned from parts at my dealer that Meguiars makes the Mopar car care products (leather care, car wash, wax) they let Mopar put thier lable on it and the parts also sells Meguiars labled products as well so..... I don't think you can go wrong. I enquired in case theres an issue with the leather or exterior for warrenty purposes these dealers can be a$$es :mad:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have only used Zaino products on all of my cars for the last ten years. I know there has been some negative discussions based on price in this forum but I think it looks great, lasts and is easy to use. For the record, it is not a wax it is a polish.

I have never had a problem with any of their products and have been very satisfied. In fact the first time I used it on my Intrepid RT, I called Zaino and talked to the owner and he answered some questions as I stood at my car with the polish in hand...you can't beat that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I havent waxed yet but iI will this weekend so my question is what should i use. I want a glass sheen on my inferno red. But do I use polish or wax, zaino or the mopar approved one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think anything with Carnuba in it is good. For the Daytona guys DONT GET IT ON THE BLACK DECALS, YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I use 3M products they are commercial grade and really the best on the market.
No residue and very to apply and remove. A little trick is to dampen the applicator
so that it's damp not soaking wet and then apply the wax it keeps it from getting
white powder when you are polishing the wax off.
Also that NXT wax has too much silicone in it, it will eventually build up on your paint
and you have to strip it and start over after about 4 or 5 waxes.
Silicone based wax IS NOT GOOD TO USE. CARNUBA WAXES ARE BEST.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree, the Carnuba waxes are a safe bet. I use Mother's California Gold on the Vette and Tundra. And I've used it on the Charger's grille and wheels last time. It just works well everywhere...

And like I said before, the Brilliant Black Charger gets Zaino :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Any quality name brand wax is good as long it has no cleaners in it and it is made for clear coat paints. When the car is waxed make sure all the flat black or matte surfaces are masked off. Its hell to try to get wax off anything that's not body color or chrome.
In my opinion, silcone based products are the worse thing you can get anywhere near a car inside or out. In the unfortunate event there is ever any paint work needed silcone drives painters mad!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
RT-DAYTONA-RT said:
I think anything with Carnuba in it is good. For the Daytona guys DONT GET IT ON THE BLACK DECALS, YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!!!!!!
Since you mentioned the black decals. Does anyone know the best way to care for them to keep them from getting weathered and nasty looking?

·
Registered
245 Posts
That is a very good question, someone who may know, please help.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Crazy_luck said:
They should last with little care (other than washing) for about 5-7 years (if DC used the same vinyl that most companies use), the only concern would be rock chips. I had a '92 Stealth turbo for about 3 years that the previous owner put cheap stripes on and I still see the car almost every week and they still look good.
Guys, I'm so damn busy running 2 businesses I don't have time to post the answer to everyone's ? on waxing, what will work,blah, blah, BUT I would be more than happy to tell you all about it if you want to call my cell phone 904-669-1900, or I'll call you ,whatever. And NO, I'm not in the car care business. But I've been in Super Chevy magazine 5 times as class winner show car division. Call ANYTIME!!!!! Regards! Mike /back to work..... :happy:

·
Registered
213 Posts
My uncle had a early 70s Charger, 383 Magnum, which was black on black. I remember him getting wax on the flat black hood decal and couldn't hardly get it off. What is out there to use on flat black, any ideas?

·
Registered
128 Posts
ZAINO ZAINO ZAINO... Join the cult, do the chant. Once you go black, you'll never go back.

Is it a mirror? No it's the hood of my car after 5 years of daily driving!

·
Registered
96 Posts
xXGoChargerGoXx said:
What is out there to use on flat black, any ideas?
Don't know for sure how it will work on the stickers, but Wurth Rubber Care does an amazing job restoring black trim, door handles and such that have gotten wax on it.

As for what wax, I've always been a huge proponent of the Meguiar's products, but am somewhat disheartened that they appear to be phasing out the Mirror Glaze line. The new NXT stuff works well, but as mentioned previously has a fairly high silicon content for my taste in wax. As the #26 High Tech Yellow wax becomes harder to find in paste form, I'm going to be switching to using Colinite #915 Marque D'Elegance as my final wax of choice.
sniper226 said:
Once you go black, you'll never go back.
I had three black cars in a row before realizing that I had better things to do with my free time than wax the car to keep it looking good. Yours looks great and there aren't many colors that look better than a well cared for black car; however, when they aren't meticulously detailed, they look like garbage. I just can't justify that much time spent to keep my daily driver looking good, especially once winter rolls around. I nearly bought a Black Pearl Charger instead as I'm still drawn to them (masochism maybe), but thought better of it. I figured I'd settle on a Midnight Blue one, but that would have been just as much work too! At least the Magnesium is dark enough to have a good shine, but light enough to be able to run through a car wash when I'm feeling particularly lazy.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts