Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had mine detailed/done by someone else, looking for some pointers and some "how to" / tricks of the trade. GO

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Check out Adam's Polishes and all posts by Junkman.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
i use nxt 2.0 tech wax, a skil 18v drill, and a powerball4paint.......

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry but I couldn't resist

hahaha, yeah i thought that saying was just too good to be true-im just trying to make sure i dont get out there and end up some how stripping my paint off

so it basically is just put it on evenly and wipe it off?

Check out Adam's Polishes and all posts by Junkman.
thanks, ill check em out

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
this is what I do when I do a full detail... claybar, wash, & wax...

yeah, basically it says on the bottle how much to apply... I do one section at a time... use a microfiber(s) to wipe off...

·
Registered
73 Posts
My biggest mistake when i first started waxing any car was that i put it on tooooo thick. It became the biggest hassle to remove the excess wax and I would finish the tubs of wax pretty quickly.

Lay it on thin and even with a moist applicator per container instructions and try not to do it when the car is hot... the wax will dry too fast to spread it thinly.

-ivan

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is what I do when I do a full detail... claybar, wash, & wax...

yeah, basically it says on the bottle how much to apply... I do one section at a time... use a microfiber(s) to wipe off...
awesome, now i just have to wait for the supposed forecast of non-stop rain for six days to end... If i go out there and wash it, it'll rain - if i don't, it wont.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I've been using a Craftsman 10" orbital for years now, + about a million bonnets... Put it on thin, with the orbital you can put it on the whole car and then change bonnets to remove it with the buffer. You need plenty of bonnets for removal, they get clogged quickly. Saves much arm wear, and time.
My dream (someday) is to get a PC and do it up right, but for now the orbital is good and affordable....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wash it up right.

I've been using Meguir's wax because someone gave me some. :D Has a foam applicator, make sure not to overapply the wax because it'll funk up your towel/cloth/whatever a lot more when you remove it.

I just use old t-shirt rags to remove the wax.

Mind the corners and edges of the car if you have darker colors. Excess wax around the trim and, well, anywhere there's an edge will tend to show up as white streaks if you don't get into the crevices during removal.

Fold your cloth over during wax removal as it builds up, as once you've got so much on it, the porous cloth fiber/weave will be filled, and you'll need more clean/empty surface area to remove more wax.

And do look for Junkman's posts for a serious how-to in Pro fashion.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try any of the "Ice Products" ?????

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try any of the "Ice Products" ?????
This season i tried the ice line and can tell you its a good consumer line product. Its super fast to put on,you can put on it just about anything and looks good. Everyone tells me my 3 year old acadia which i just bought this year still looks brand new after i detailed it. The person who had it before took really bad care of it but i got it back to new condidtion ;o) Im going back to boutique next year with Adams it had better durability. Here's a picture of what the ice line can do for you.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gmc acadia Sport utility vehicle

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll say it Junkman doesn't have to:

1. Buy the PC from Adams, Ebay or wherever. Make sure you get the foam pads and the backing plate from Adams.
2. Buy your Favorite PROFESSIONAL products (Claybar, Swirl and Haze Remover, Polish, Wax)
3. Watch these --> http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106247
4. Enjoy the beautiful finish! :bigthumb:
5. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
OP, you do realize that waxing the car DOES NOT make the paint shine, right?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
OP, you do realize that waxing the car DOES NOT make the paint shine, right?
Well, it does if you've done all the correct steps up to and including the wax, you use the correct wax, and you then take the wax off correctly! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the only thing im worried about now is location, i just moved to an apartment and they have nice little car wash stations with hoses but theres no shaded area in sight-another bad thing, i always park towards the outside edge of the parking spots, but they have sprinklers that go off on a weekly basis in an area enough to get all over the car but if i park up close its community college/ding city all over again

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
the only thing im worried about now is location, i just moved to an apartment and they have nice little car wash stations with hoses but theres no shaded area in sight-another bad thing, i always park towards the outside edge of the parking spots, but they have sprinklers that go off on a weekly basis in an area enough to get all over the car but if i park up close its community college/ding city all over again
In that case, I think I would definitely invest in a good car cover. That sprinkler water can ruine your finish!

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I've been using a Craftsman 10" orbital for years now, + about a million bonnets... Put it on thin, with the orbital you can put it on the whole car and then change bonnets to remove it with the buffer. You need plenty of bonnets for removal, they get clogged quickly. Saves much arm wear, and time.
My dream (someday) is to get a PC and do it up right, but for now the orbital is good and affordable....
Check Amazon for the Porter Cable polishers. They're still over $100.00, but well worth it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts