Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my car for a little over a month now and I would like to put its first coat of wax on. I know there is a ton of threads on this but seems as if each one had so many different things to say. What are the basic steps and products I should use to make my car look its best.

I have also read a lot about chemicals that strip paint etc. I do not want to mess with anything like that, my car is to new. If you have time please help me out.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I like ICE myself it goes on and comes off very easy and if you get it on anything black it doenst leave that residue that others do. You can even put it on your glass kinda like rainx.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are getting ready to wax your car, I believe a clay bar kit is a must have. I had read many posts regarding the benefits of a clay bar kit but did not think it was a necessary step. In April of this year I decided to purchase Mothers clay bar kit and could not believe the results. People at work complimented me on how much deeper the vechicle shines and how the GoManGo color now pops when the sun is shining down on the car.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
everyone says zaino is the best. u can only order it online. i've never used it before though and i heard its VERY hard to put on.

i use ice wax. it gets the job done.

clay bar is what it sounds like. a bar of clay lol. you rub it all over your car and it cleans it like nothing else can. makes it REALLY shiney. ICE makes a liquid clay bar that is just about as good as the real thing and easier to use

·
Registered
662 Posts
everyone says zaino is the best. u can only order it online. i've never used it before though and i heard its VERY hard to put on.
Ordering online isn't tough. People do it all the time....

And it's not tough to put on at all! It goes on easy and comes right back off (not like the meguiars scratch x...) Plus, it smells absolutely wonderful :D

:cool:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Agreed the smell of Zaino is worth the dollars right there.hah..

Clay is better for car if you have spots on it like had on mine from whatever crapola on the road during the tour to my dealership, meaning i had little black specs on my paint and the clay bar took them all off although it was a whole day job, BUT it did shine after i took the ice to it.

And whats up with the orange peel on our cars? At least mine has got it anyone else.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
alright, what exactly is orange peel?
Most of us have places on our Cars that when they got painted from the factory looks like "Orange Peel". just comes from the rush of painting and not proper drying. Almost all cars now a days have some. See pic below for Ex.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts

i use ice wax. it gets the job done.

clay bar is what it sounds like. a bar of clay lol. you rub it all over your car and it cleans it like nothing else can. makes it REALLY shiney. ICE makes a liquid clay bar that is just about as good as the real thing and easier to use

And it's not tough to put on at all! It goes on easy and comes right back off (not like the meguiars scratch x...) Plus, it smells absolutely wonderful :D

Ditto! It's not hard to put on or take off but it does take some time. The beauty is that you only need to use it every 6 to 8 months VS every 2 to 3 for some products and every month for others.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Most of us have places on our Cars that when they got painted from the factory looks like "Orange Peel". just comes from the rush of painting and not proper drying. Almost all cars now a days have some. See pic below for Ex.

I see...thank you!

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
What is a clay bar and how does it work?
It is basically a very very soft plastic. You spray "lube" which is often just slippery detail spray on the paint first. Then you rub the "clay" on the paint back and forth a few times and it will grab contaminants from the harder paint finish. Periodically, you fold the clay over itself a few times (like you'd do with silly putty) to expose a clean surface to the paint. As in life.....use PLENTY of lube :) or you risk scratching your paint.

For an idea of how it's done, look here:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_16.aspx

Just take your time. When you're done, polish her up, apply wax, and enjoy your ride.

Best,

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Ahhhh ic so i guess thats norm well i wasnt sure i guess you have to buy an 80,000 car to not have that...haha..
O well it was just pointed out to me recently and i wasnt sure, again thanks tby.
It's the norm on American cars. I don't see it as much on German and Japanese cars (at least not the Japanese cars that cost more than 20k-ish). It's caused by bad prep work at the factory and/or improper mixing/application of the paint depending on environmental conditions (the volatile thinner evaporates too quickly for the given temp/humidity resulting in uneven drying). You can also cause it by using too much paint (thick coat) or by having insufficient air pressure in the paint gun. It is correctible with wet sanding, but if it's in the base coat (under the clear coat) you're fooked.

Chrysler clearly has a process problem with painting. I see a LOT of paint defects on Chrysler/Jeep vehicles now that I've got one and tend to look at others a bit more carefully.

Best,

·
Registered
6,100 Posts

I remain pretty unconvinced of the benefits of Zaino. It's OK. It certainly doesn't suck, but it's unGodly expensive. I have achieved equal or better results from Menzerna products which are a bit cheaper and a LOT more easy to deal with in terms of application and removal.

Best,

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
I like ICE myself it goes on and comes off very easy and if you get it on anything black it doenst leave that residue that others do. You can even put it on your glass kinda like rainx.
i agree... ice is some great stuff... i've heard mixed reviews on it here but went ahead and tried it...stuff is great:smoke:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts