Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has an s4. He is always modding this thing up. He came accross a new mod where you empty the windshield wiper fluid and fill up tank with a mixture of water/methanol. It's actually a kit you can buy. A hose is then ran to the intake spraying this liquid into the engine when it sucks the air. He said he's going to get 30 hp out of this thing. Has anyone heard about this kit before? His he full of crap?:alien:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I rigged up a similar mod back in the 80s on a Spearco turbocharged Toyota supra motor I had installed in an old Corona. The injection of water/methanol allowed me to increase boost to 11PSI without worrying about detonation. It was good for and additional 40-50 ponies BUT only because I could increase boost. I don't see how this setup would increase HP on a normally aspirated engine but hey, I have been wrong before, many times.

·
Registered
939 Posts
This is commonly termed "methanol injection" and you can do it hillbilly-style or with dedicated kits from places like AlkyControl or Snow Performance. I use an AlkyControl system on a '98 Trans Am that I've turbocharged.

As mentioned above, it's typically coupled with FI setups where somebody wants to crank up the boost. Spraying methanol into the intake charge reduces its temperature and adds octane, both of which help to prevent detonation. Used with increased boost and/or timing this results in better power.

To get the most out of a methanol injection system, you need boost-referenced actuation, progressive control, and the ability to tune for the increased fuel that you're dumping in.

S4s do seem to be able to "learn" new conditions; I've got a buddy that gets more power out of the same tune when he steps up the octane in his tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts