Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you use the Water/Meth injection on your chargers?

If so, do you notice a major difference?

I am thinking about doing this, but I have only been hearing about for the smaller cars. What are everyones' thoughts on the topic?

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Meth?? Sounds expensive AND ILLEGAL. Maybe that is an abbreviation of something, hopefully someone will clarify

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, Methanol\Water injection...I hope that this will help bring people out of the wood works.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
We use methanol fuel injection on out 1990 Turbo Mini Van, The kit we are running is made by a company called Devil's Own. We have it set to come on at 10 psi of boost. So far no problems with it and we have another kit that is a progressive one but it has yet to be installed on another Turbo Mini Van.

If you look at the first picture and then enlarge it, you can see the methanol jug on the passenger inner fender. YES that is the Inter Cooler on the front of the Mini Van.......25 psi of boost

Regards
Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
damn...

i was thinking crystal meth injection to the arm. boost u up with some real SPEED right there ;)

hah.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I've pondered it, seeing as we are so temp sensitive. A very mild mix, and not much of it at that. One problem is that youd want to spray far enough ahead of the AIT sensor to let the car know youve dropped that temp down. Not a lot of room for that.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
so is the point of the methanol to cool or to provide boost like nitrous during combustion? or both? being that nitrous is also very cool hah.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Well, its purpose is twofold. It cools the intake charge as it changes from the liquid to the vapor state, and also acts as an octane booster, effectively slowing the combustion process, which is what octane increases really do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe that there is a lot of hot rodder have mixing Methanol with some racing fuel 101 octane and up octane fuel to get the proper boost from the engine. It is tricky if you don't properly mix it. It will blow your freakin engine.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Meth?? Sounds expensive AND ILLEGAL. Maybe that is an abbreviation of something, hopefully someone will clarify
:lol: :lol: Some of you guys crack me up!

But you get major points for learning. :)

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I believe that there is a lot of hot rodder have mixing Methanol with some racing fuel 101 octane and up octane fuel to get the proper boost from the engine. It is tricky if you don't properly mix it. It will blow your freakin engine.

Wrong technique, this is about using a high pressure pump to spray a very fine mist of a water/methanol into the intake tract.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We use methanol fuel injection on out 1990 Turbo Mini Van, The kit we are running is made by a company called Devil's Own. We have it set to come on at 10 psi of boost. So far no problems with it and we have another kit that is a progressive one but it has yet to be installed on another Turbo Mini Van.

If you look at the first picture and then enlarge it, you can see the methanol jug on the passenger inner fender. YES that is the Inter Cooler on the front of the Mini Van.......25 psi of boost

Regards
Chuck
Damm Cherry! you so hard up for a race that you're drivin' round in a sleeper van????? You be "hardcore" man!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Snowperformance.com has a bunch of info...here is a link to their FAQ's...I read up on this doing a Google search a few months ago...seems interesting...it has been around for a while. As I recall, I think they were using this on aircraft during WWII.

http://www.snowperformance.net/faqs_type.php?type=gasoline

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, lots of WWII aircraft used this technology, and it's really intended, and most useful, in boosted applications. See, even with intercooling, your intake charge temps are high in high boost applications.

Thats why cars with high boost really need high octanes, to resist detonation caused by both high compression and advanced timing. Using injection can allow higher compression and more timing, leading to great poer increases. The SRT-4 Stage 2 and 3 had a High Octane Mode, or HOM, that took advantage of this.

Hit the button, and as long as you dont get detonation (which would cause the PCM to pull back to save the motor) you get insane timing increases, to the tune of +20whp on a Stage 2 kit, or +40-50whp on the Stage 3 kit.

SRT-4 owners have sucessfully used water/meth injection to run HOM without the expensive $4-5 dollar a gallon racefuel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
As stated this is really only going to be useful to modified turbo cars...not something that you'll see any benefit running on a NA Hemi.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Damm Cherry! you so hard up for a race that you're drivin' round in a sleeper van????? You be "hardcore" man!
Those have got to be the best sleepers ever!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts