Charger Forums banner

Engine timing

• Is there a special too for correct timings?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can we make correct timings manually?

• What if main timing is correct and cam shaft goes incorrect?

• Does this operation degrade any engine performance after touching the parts inside the head?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have a serious problem and need some urgent help. I own a Dodge charger 2009 Se V6 2.7. I have been driving the car for past 4 years without any issue, few days back i noticed a bad water leak on driver side engine. took it to the garage and they found out that water was leaking through the weep hole due to the faulty waterpump. purchased the new pump, however the mecahnic said while installing the pump your timing needs a reset afterwards. they replaced the pump and messed up with the timings. my car is at the garage for past 3 days and they are not able to fix the tming chanins. i have a step by step guide with pictures, which they could not understand properly. they have now decided to open my engine head for some valve damage due to incorrect timings. my apprehension at this point is, wil this operation degrade the engine performance later once issue is sorted and does this mean that my cars engine has been opened, which would degrade the market value of the car. I also would like to know if some one has a complete viedeo for engine timings fixes so that i can guide them accordingly. tried saving some money,, avoided dealer and went to private garage... guys are just nuts...
Tried to save som cash n took it to the privage garage, with good previous experience...
Thanking in advance

Owais

Is there a special too for correct timings?
Can we make correct timings manually?
What if main timing is correct and cam shaft goes incorrect?
Does this operation degrade any engine performance after touching the parts inside the head?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
If they misaligned the timing when swapping the pump you may have bent some valves. This will degrade performance and require the head to be removed to repair or replace the valves. Long term if fixed right you should have no issues

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your responce and yes, total of 12 exhaust valves are bent.. They have taken the responcibility and have arranged new valves.. Fixing at the moment..

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do we find out, which one is the number 1 cylinder.. I dont know if it is same for all cars... Mine is dodge charger 2009 se v6 2.7

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Glad to see the shop took the responsabilty for the bent valves. But, I would think that they should have/or access to the manuals so they could find #1 cylinder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, if they had manuals i wouldn't end up in this situation in first place.. M at the garage now and they use some technique to find the first cylinder.. They have just fixed one rangerover with the same problem and as per them, timing chain for range is much more dofficult that dodge.. Hopefully i am getting my car back on sunday, as promised...
Thanks for your help...��

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

Finally they have fixed the car with the correct timing, however there is still some ticking noise, which i believe was to stay for 5-10 seconds after the tensioner reset.. Noise still continues, with no computer error. I was wondering if this could be due to the improper tensioner reset peocedure, since they did not use the proper tool to reset the tensioner.. Please advise...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On similar note.. They did followed the proper peocedure to reset the tensioner though... Now i am suspecting, if the tensioner could have gone bad or may be there is some slack in the chain, not sure though as i havent heard the noise yet, will confirm once i visit the garage, today afternoon...
Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all, noise went off after idling for an hour and car is back on road as normal.. Hope nothing breaks down related to what they worked on..
Thanks all for the help...

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I am glad to hear your car is back on the road! Now don't be a stranger post up and participate more about your car, your mods, future mods etc..

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, if they had manuals i wouldn't end up in this situation in first place.. M at the garage now and they use some technique to find the first cylinder.. They have just fixed one rangerover with the same problem and as per them, timing chain for range is much more dofficult that dodge.. Hopefully i am getting my car back on sunday, as promised...
Thanks for your help...��
WOW. Some freakin shop. I guess they don't have internet access either?

I'm glad they made it right--let's keep our fingers crossed--and I'd head right to a shop that has nationwide affiliates or else a dealer. Dealers make mistakes too, but they at least have the freakin manual. Krikey.

Hope this didn't cost you all your Christmas money.

I am glad to hear your car is back on the road! Now don't be a stranger post up and participate more about your car, your mods, future mods etc..
Yes, keep coming back!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, no mods at the moment, waiting for my car to setl down, hoping that nothing breaks down on, what they fixed. I recently replaced all my interior lights with blue led's, since i have a base model, added some extra harnes for courtcy lights and glove box.. Looks awesom.. I am alos planning to upgrade my exhaust to duals with louder sounds.. Your advise will be much appreciated.. Need to know, what to buy and where to start from.. I believe i need to cut down my existing exhaust to add duals.. Dont know where to start from..

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@hambone well, they havent charged me anything, since it was their mistake and yes they fixed it after i provided them the step wise manual for timing.. Car pickup is better than before, since they cleaned the injectors as well.. All for free, i just paid the water pump cost and labor charges for replacing the same.. Have a great day...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts