1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I use a lint-free microfiber hand mit.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Meguires gold class car wash....NEVER use dish soap1!!
Micro fiber wash mit
California water blade to dry...finish with a micro fiber towel

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I'll second/third the microfiber mitt. A sponge will scratch your paint.

Best,

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Meguires gold class car wash....NEVER use dish soap1!!
Unless you WANT to strip the wax to start with a fresh coat. Use Original Dawn dish soap but only once or twice a year though. Then follow it up with some high quality wax or sealant.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wash Mitt
Good Car Wash Soap
2 Buckets - One With Plain Clean H20 To Dip In After Washing A Section ---the Other For The Soapy Water---wash With The Lines Of The Vehicle ( Not Circular Motion )

Dry The Same Way - Not In Circles

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I use Simple Green's car wash solution....looks like anti-freeze almost! I don't have a microfiber mitt, but I do have a microfiber towel that I use and only use for washing the car itself. I have another one I use just for the wheels!!

Pretty much listen to what everyone else said in here as well!!! Invest in a California Wiperblade too....been the fastest way to drive my car without any streaks or scratches!!

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Hey i was wondering what you guys use to wash your black cars. is a sponge a good thing to use when washing. Thanks mike
I use whatever car wash soap is on sale, mixed with RO water, and wash with a 100% cotton towel. Rinse with soft water and dry with cotton towel as well. Apply Meguiar's quick wax after every 2nd or 3rd wash with cotton or microfibre cloth, and remove with - you guessed it - a 100% cotton towel.

Armoral Fierce Tire Foam goes on the rocker panels, chin spoiler, engine cover, and other black plastic trim pieces under the hood.

Meguiar's tire shine on the tires, and plain old no-name glass cleaner for the chrome-clad wheels.

As for the interior, I've never washed it yet. (ACK!)

·
Registered
641 Posts
use 1 mit for the rockers and 1 mit for the rest of the car. spray the hell out of the car to remove any surface dirt and use maguires soap lots of soap. When your done machine wash and dry our mits and drying towel. I've got the black paint also 35000 miles 2yrs old and the paint looks great. Never got to the fundraiser carwashes. They love to drop the mits on the ground.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a bug leg get stuck in my microfiber mitt and it left me with a scrath or two. Hopefully its just the clear coat. I bought some Meguiar's ScratchX to see if that fixes it up next car wash.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Check out Adam's Polishes Pro Wash pad. It works great.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I use a tuchless laserwash 4000 for the weekly clean-up, and a microfiber wash and wax quarterly.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I clean it with the jet spray type car wash, then wipe down with the "Absorber". I don't trust automatic car washes and I don't like rubbing the finish with anything before I've had a chance to blast off the crud with a spray first.

DriWash works well between car washes even though I'm still not used to the idea of wiping over the paint when I can see it's dirty.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Hey i was wondering what you guys use to wash your black cars. is a sponge a good thing to use when washing. Thanks mike
I like using a good quality wash mitt (like sheepskin mitt) and 2 wash buckets. Below are some good tips...

PROPER CAR WASHING
Many enthusiasts and quality detailers use a two-bucket wash system. The first bucket holds your soapy water, and the second bucket holds rinse water. The rinse water bucket is used to rinse your wash sponge or mitt prior to dunking it in the bucket of soapy water. This method has two practical benefits. First and foremost, it keeps dirt and grit out of your soapy water where it could cause damage to your car. Second, it makes the suds in your soapy water last longer, because your car wash shampoo does not have to react to dirt you're putting back into the water.

Here are some tips to make car washing easier:
1. Make sure your car is cool. If possible, work in the shade. A hot surface causes the wash and rinse water to evaporate too quickly, increasing the likelihood of water spotting. One trick is to park on a slight incline. This allows rinse water to run off moldings, trim and recessed areas better. Start by thoroughly wetting the car's finish with a medium spray of water to remove loose grit and surface dirt.

2. Wash the tires and wheels first. If you wash the car body first, the water will dry and spot your car before you can properly finish washing the tires and wheels. Do not use the same wash water on your car's paint as you used on your tires and wheels. Throw the dirty water out and refill your buckets.

3. Spot treat bug, tar, sap and bird stains. For stubborn problems on your paint and other surfaces, use an insect remover or pre-wash cleaner. If the contamination has a lot of grip, use a paint-safe bug sponge.

4. Use a car wash shampoo specifically formulated for automotive use. Look for a shampoo containing surface conditioners and gloss enhancers. The surface conditioners act as a lubricant, allowing sand and abrasive grit to slide off in the rinse water without scratching the surface. Quality car shampoos cost a little more, but are worth every penny. If you have a dark car and constantly fight swirl marks, upgrade your wash shampoo, wash mitt and towels.

5. Use a quality wash tool. I prefer a chenille wash sponge, sheepskin wash mitt or microfiber wash mitt for washing. These tools have a large number of fine filaments that draw dirt and grime away from the surface being cleaned into their internal structure. Synthetic (flat-sided) sponges and washcloths can trap dirt, grit and grime on the surface, which can scratch your car's paint. Cotton chenille wash mitts and pads are also excellent, as they hold lots of soapy water and are gentle to your paint.

6. Wash from the top down and rinse the car often. Frequent rinsing is especially important if the car is excessively dirty. If you are washing on a warm day, keep the whole car wet to prevent spotting. I use a final rinse of free-flowing water (nozzle off the hose), allowing the water to sheet off the car. This makes drying faster.

Drying Tips:
Before drying, your car should be freshly rinsed and free of visible dirt, grease and oil. Here's the proper way to dry your car.

1. Remove the hose nozzle from your hose, and turn the water on with medium pressure. Rinse your car, allowing the water to flow freely over the surface (do not spray the water). The free-flowing action will cause the water to sheet off, carrying 80% or more of the surface water with it. Allow the car to drip dry for a minute while you get your drying tools.

2. If you have a paint-safe squeegee, use it on the windows first. Follow the squeegee with a synthetic chamois or a microfiber drying towel.

3. Use a clean drying towel or synthetic chamois to dry the remainder of the car. Start at the top of the car and work down. If you're using a large drying towel or chamois, throw it out over the flat surface areas and slowly pull it toward you across the surface of the car. Shake and turn your drying towel frequently. To prevent streaking, fold your chamois or towel into a square for wiping.

4. Once the exterior is mostly dry, open the doors and wipe down the jambs, sills and seal areas. Be sure to dry under the doors, or your sills will get wet again as soon as you close the doors.

5. Use a terry detailing towel to dry your tires and wheels. Do not use your good chamois or drying towel on the tires and wheels, as it will become soiled.

6. Open the trunk and hood, and wipe down the jambs and seals. On the engine, use the damp towel you used to dry the tires and wheels to remove dust and light oil from the top of the engine and engine compartment surfaces. While the hood is open and you have a towel, check your oil. After you finish wiping down your engine, put the dirty towel in the wash. Don't use it on your car again until you wash it.

After Washing & Drying
Regardless of how gentle your car shampoo is, or when you last waxed your car, driving and washing deplete the wax protection you've applied to your car. For this reason, I like to use a quick detailing spray on my car after washing. A good detailing spray renews the "just waxed" shine and extends the life of your wax.
Your tires and exterior rubber trim need a little shot of protection, too. A quick wipe with your favorite rubber and vinyl protectant not only improves the look of the car, but also has a lasting effect on long-term wear.

SUMMARY
Regular washing is very important to maintaining your car's appearance. Most people forget some of the simple, quick steps that can keep a new car looking new. Take just a few extra minutes when you wash to wipe down the engine, door jambs and trunk. Keeping these areas clean prevents a bigger cleanup job later. To make your job easier and more enjoyable, invest in a few good detailing tools. Quality wash and dry tools make a huge difference.

·
Registered
853 Posts
the two bucket washing technique is the professional way to go.

Show Car Garage has a very informative video on how to wash show cars. It basically describes the proper technique to wash a car and avoid swirl marks and scratches. Even if you have washed cars thousands of times, you will find something new in this video.

I think we would all like to avoid scratches and swirls and keep our new paint in showroom condition.

Click on:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372&q=showcargarag e.com

·
Registered
813 Posts
Very good tips here. For the record I use Miguires wash and tutrle wax ice wax. Every day as she warms up I use the miguires quick detailer spray and a micrfiber cloth to take the slight layer of dust off the paint befor I venture out for the day.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Very good tips here. For the record I use Miguires wash and tutrle wax ice wax. Every day as she warms up I use the miguires quick detailer spray and a micrfiber cloth to take the slight layer of dust off the paint befor I venture out for the day.
And you've never had any issues cleaning the dust? How often do you wash your car since, I'd imagine if you quick detailed it every day it'd always be clean)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts