Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5-6 months ago, i took my car in for oil change and asked them to check my brakes because they were making a crunching sound at low speed. Turns out that everything was fine, they check my brakes and told me they were OK and nothing needed to be done. I wasnt charged anything.

Today, i take my car in for oil change and asked them to check my brakes because they are still making a crunching sound at low speed. The guy calls me back and tells me that my rotors are bad and its going to cost $400 + tax. I tell him he's out of his mind, he calls me 10 min later and tells me its a miscommunication with the tech, and its only going to cost $280. Thats still way more than I expected, because i though brakes were covered under warranty.

He calls me a few hrs later and now I still have to pay $100, because he says a tech had to take my wheel off to look at the brakes.

This is what i need clarification on....
I was under the assumption that brakes were covered under warranty. Even if they are not, why was I not charged last time for the same exact inspection.

Is this guy trying to pull a fast one, or whats going on?...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
K, so what I am reading is that you took your car in for an oil change and explained to them that again the Breaks are making a crunch sound at low speeds and you were concerned about it.......

If you are still under warranty then you should not be paying anything.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Typically brake wear is not covered by warranty. You didn't mention how many miles you had on the car when you first reported the problem. What is bogus is trying to charge you $100 for their diagnostic work if it turns out to be covered by warranty. If it's been less than 10K miles or so, rotors should not have to be repaired under normal circumstances - so it should be covered by warranty. Anything over that and it becomes questionable how much is normal wear and tear - and thus comes out of your pocket, even the $100.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Even if an item is not covered under warrenty you would not know what the true prob is until they take a look, and for you to pay for them taking a look it is wrong.

Thats like them saying "Well I'm not sure what the prob is and we can deff take a look, it may be a warranty item and may not be, I can tell you if it's not we will charge you for our time"

The only way you know what the issue is, is if you have them look into it!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive got 24k Miles on the car....
I cant remember how many miles it had the first time, but it was definatly more than 10k.

The guy says he is charging 1 hr of labor for removing the wheels at $97.50 per hour.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Ive got 24k Miles on the car....
I cant remember how many miles it had the first time, but it was definatly more than 10k.

The guy says he is charging 1 hr of labor for removing the wheels at $97.50 per hour.
I wouldnt pay for anything unless it was disclosed up front that there was a fee for service if it is not a warrenty issue. (if they did state that I would have taken it to a different dealership)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Well your definitely past your warranty but they should have been
up front about the inspection cost. This happened to me once too, but
they told me it would be $75 to take a look BEFORE they did it.
I didn't realize it was past warranty (17k, 11 months old, wifes' car) and
just ended up doing the pads and turning the rotors myself. But had they
not told me about the $75 first I would have been in the same situation
you are in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
wow! my dealer includes a four wheel rotation with the oil change. Tell the dealer youll pay the local going rate for the inspection and call multiple shops and report to him what you found. I have r/t wheels and can see just about everything without taking the tire off. Sounds like you dealer needs a wakeup call and you should stop having your vehicle serviced there. besides as long as you can document that the oil was changed as recomended it makes no diff who does it.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
That is insane ... I'm a Ford service writer and if the customer didn't authorize a diag fee or inspection fee I can't really charge them ... did you authorize any diagnosis fees when you dropped off the car ?

Also, if this has been your servicing dealer since new, they should have no problem looking at your brakes for free .... we have a $19.95 brake inspection fee that allows the tech 0.3 hr to remove wheels and check brakes, doesnt really allow for a roadtest ...

Ask to talk to the Service Manager.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate your input guys....

I spoke with the service manager, he said he can't do anything about the $97 unless I get some service done, so he lowered the price to have my front brake pads changed and the rotors shaved + labor for $200...

i was so pissed after all that mess today that i just said, whatever and told him to change the pads. you think I got ripped?

i was considering getting a challenger, but unless they change the way they do service (which i seriously doubt), i dont think ill get another dodge.

It really sucks because i love my car and i really want a challenger but the nightmares from service is making me think twice.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Don't link all Dealers in with this one. Mine has worked with me on all issues and doesn't charge me anything if he doesn't talk with me first. Check with another Dealer first!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.