Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a young guy and I've recently come to love the R/T R&T but I'm a bit unsure if I want to pay the money if I can't use it. My questions is if I take my Charger with the R&T package to a track day at a local track (not racing, 1 car on the track at a time, no passing, etc.) does this have any effect on my warranty?

My concern is that if I do this and my trans goes at 100K they'll check the log and see the 100% throttle - 100% brakes over a given 2-4 minutes and obviously know immediatly that I took it to a track. I know that certain mods can cause a gray area, but assuming the car is totally stock except for MOPAR parts I should be okay, right?

Just wondering if anyone had encountered this with the Lifetime Warranty. If this would void the warranty, there's really no reason for me to get the R&T package.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
lol - I think 99% of owners would show that log even if they didn't take it to the track :D

Not sure on your warranty question though - I haven't heard that one asked before.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well, I don't think it a "Charger" issue, any car you take to the track runs the risk of no warranty. So no matter what you buy, same issue.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Well, I don't think it a "Charger" issue, any car you take to the track runs the risk of no warranty. So no matter what you buy, same issue.
x2... also, I do WOT runs everyday to and from work... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, I know that any car runs that risk, what I'm getting at is that if this would negate my warranty, I'll just go with the R/T P package instead of the R/T R&T package. I'm just trying to figure out how much they'll fight you if you bring it in to have the engine/trans replaced. I guess I'll have to ask the dealer tomorrow when I go on another test drive.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Right, I know that any car runs that risk, what I'm getting at is that if this would negate my warranty, I'll just go with the R/T P package instead of the R/T R&T package. I'm just trying to figure out how much they'll fight you if you bring it in to have the engine/trans replaced. I guess I'll have to ask the dealer tomorrow when I go on another test drive.
Okay, first up, the dealership has to show abuse to justify negating a warranty. While there are a lot of grey areas, hitting the track now and then shouldn't be a problem. Even I've red-lined my engine a few times. As long as the problems you're asking for warranty service on aren't caused by your track experience, you'll be fine. Even then, unless you've done obvious things to your car such as supercharging it, many service departments won't even check.

Secondly, performance-wise there's no reason to drop down to the non-R&T version just because you're not going to the track. There's only a 10hp difference! If you're willing to buy and drive an R/T without going to the track, the additional "waste" of not taking an R&T to the track is minuscule. The package has a lot more going for it, like nicer seats and wheels. Despite the name of the 29R package, it's not especially track-ready compared to a straight R/T.

Good luck in your hunt and make sure you check back here afterward. We'll want pictures.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Just be sure to take the slicks and the white numbers off the glass before you bring it in for warranty service, should anything break at the track.

p.s.
The "log" doesn't record every event and retain it for years. A few days at the track wouldn't be a blip, as long as you don't blow the thing at the track on a run. It keeps the last few minutes, for sure... maybe an hour, as far as what the driver is doing. There are certain parameters recorded long term, but it's more about how the car is running, than being driven.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts