Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 07 Tor-Red for a few months now and after reading all the cool stuff from the knowledgeable gearheads in this forum I am ready to take a dive into some mods - especially exhaust and CAI. What I haven't seen is any warranty concerns - so my question, will the addition of these two mods affect/void my warranty (3/36k) in any way?

Any personal experience feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Exhaust shouldnt do anything except void your stock exhaust warranty, Some could possibley argue CAI but not likely especially since they sell them their with their Mopar stuff.

Jaybo

·
Registered
243 Posts
My Dodge dealer,service manager and parts manager all said there is no problem with Catbacks or CAI, as long as they were MOPAR (wich they are) they will cover the warranty 100%. I even had them install both on my car the same day even though I bought the stuff online.
Since then they have done the rotor TSB and radiator white gunk TSB twice without blinking an eye....

·
Registered
695 Posts
At the SRT Track Experience I was told that the Mopar Catbacks and the CAI will NOT void your warranty. Technically I don't think any Catbacks or CAI would void your warranty but if you have a picky dealership I could see them using it as leverage. I did the CAI and I love it but I may or may not do the Catbacks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
no srt veicles have lifetime warrenties! dont listen to every swingin dizick on these forums.mods like "bolt on" (which is what ur asking about) dont void warrenties except for the stock piece ur taking off(so it dont really matter)now if what ever you put on does cause a major failure and they can prove ur part/install caused this then ur pretty much fizucked

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
no srt veicles have lifetime warrenties! dont listen to every swingin dizick on these forums.mods like "bolt on" (which is what ur asking about) dont void warrenties except for the stock piece ur taking off(so it dont really matter)now if what ever you put on does cause a major failure and they can prove ur part/install caused this then ur pretty much fizucked
He is right there is no life time warranty on any SRT vehicle, look carefully at the TV commercials for the Dodge/Chrysler lifetime warranty, check out the fine print.

·
Registered
56 Posts
All Im saying is...If you have a Catback and say your cats go bad for some reason that would be enough ammo for the dealer to say nope......now for the CAI's I know for a fact that the Corvette boys were getting flack form Chevy saying that the oil on the filter was hosing up the intake sensors.... I had a dodge dealership tell me that because I installed a aftermarket intake manifold on my Dakota RT it caused my door locks to stop working I was trying to warrante the driver side.....I know BS but it really piss#$ me off!
Just find a good dealership and you should be good for most mods...

Jaybo

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=magnuson+moss+warranty+act

A snippit from ( www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm )
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
also the warranties are written for each individual part not for the car itself.they say bumper to bumper like its one warranty but really all parts have their own warranty.like i said unless the install or the mod causes something else to go wrong you should be fine. check out the warranty disclaimer in the owners manual. its short and simple for a reason, if mods like we are talking about voided it , dont you think DMC would have printed to save the from hiring lawyers to fight in court or arbortration. i cant wait to see this "i bought this dodge car new and this dodge mopar cai new had installed (correctly) and now they want to void my warranty". so you think a jury will side with me or you, or DMC ?
good luck though if ur in detroit! hahaha

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think he was asking about mods not filters. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will cover things like filters and such. Throw a third party pcm with a performance tune on there and see what happens. As far as CAI's and CatBacks are concerned I think that they would be hard pressed to void a warranty with any of these. But like I said there are some crappy dealers that would probably give you a hard time over it, even though they would lose in the end. If I put non OEM floor mats in my car my dealer would probably try and void my warranty. :)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Again,
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act doesn't care if it is a filter, brake line, catback, intake, headers, or floormats. Your warranty can NOT be voided unless they can prove that whatever failure was caused by the aftermarket part. If they do determine it is a result of said part, the entire warranty isn't voided, just the part that failed. SO, they can NOT refuse warranty work on your windows because you have an aftermarket intake, or whatever. They would be breaking federal law if they did.

If the dealer states that only a "car brand specific" CAI or exhaust or any other "car make specific" part won't void your warranty, but using a similar 3rd party aftermarket part WILL void it, again, they are breaking federal law.

Now, talking about a 3rd party tune..... well, the MMWA would still apply, but it would be pretty easy for the dealer to blame any problems that occur due to a non OE tune. Our cars rely on the computer for almost everything, so at that point failure could be blamed on the reprogramming.

Mess with things that are electrical, then you're probalby playing with fire.

I had to deal with this as a previous Mitsubishi Evo owner (had an 8 and a 9 MR). The running joke was that if you sneezed in your car, Mitsu. would void your warranty........ ;)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
jdub, the best thing to do is talk to your dealer and build a "friendship" with them, especially the service manager. The service manager is the one that could make life miserable for you for having simple mods like this.

Try this: take your car to them for something small, like an oil change. After a few days, buy the entire service dept. pizza for lunch! They'll remember you and probably look forward to your visits in the future. :rockon:

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I know a lot of guys that say they want to keep their factory warranty intact so they only added a Superchips for now because they can take it off when they go in for service. I guess if that helps you sleep better at night then more power to ya.

Mopar accessories are covered by warranty but ALL Mopar performance parts beginning with the letter "P" are sold "as is" with no warranty whatsoever. Why? Some parts are intended for "off-road use only" and could void the vehicle's factory warranty. This means that if DCX can prove a performance part caused the problem then your warranty claim goes bye-bye. For all the folks out there doing the "safe" mods, this does include your Mopar CAI, Mopar Cat-back Exhuast, Mopar LT Headers, Mopar Coil Over Suspension Kit and Lowering Springs just to name a few. There is actually a disclaimer on the Mopar website that says those 4 parts are "not legal for sale on pollution-controlled vehicles registered for highway use".

IMO enjoy the car and mod it the way that you see fit or leave it alone and just drive it as it came from the factory.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Again,

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act doesn't care if it is a filter, brake line, catback, intake, headers, or floormats. Your warranty can NOT be voided unless they can prove that whatever failure was caused by the aftermarket part. If they do determine it is a result of said part, the entire warranty isn't voided, just the part that failed. SO, they can NOT refuse warranty work on your windows because you have an aftermarket intake, or whatever. They would be breaking federal law if they did.

If the dealer states that only a "car brand specific" CAI or exhaust or any other "car make specific" part won't void your warranty, but using a similar 3rd party aftermarket part WILL void it, again, they are breaking federal law.

Now, talking about a 3rd party tune..... well, the MMWA would still apply, but it would be pretty easy for the dealer to blame any problems that occur due to a non OE tune. Our cars rely on the computer for almost everything, so at that point failure could be blamed on the reprogramming.

Mess with things that are electrical, then you're probalby playing with fire.

I had to deal with this as a previous Mitsubishi Evo owner (had an 8 and a 9 MR). The running joke was that if you sneezed in your car, Mitsu. would void your warranty........ ;)

Again,
I was talking about those type of performance mods not floor mats.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Try this: take your car to them for something small, like an oil change. After a few days, buy the entire service dept. pizza for lunch! They'll remember you and probably look forward to your visits in the future. :rockon:
I ALWAYS bring the guys doughnuts....works like a charm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts