Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on ordering a SRT-8, but noticed the warranty has been reduced to 3yr 36k, down from 7/70. What's up with that? I see that as a red flag, and am now rethinking my upcoming purchase. It is a shame, because I love this car and salivate just thinking about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is an article form the May 19th Automotive News:

Chrysler scraps 7-year warranty

By Gail Kachadourian
Automotive News / May 16, 2005

DETROIT -- Starting in the 2006 model year, the Chrysler group no longer will offer its seven-year, 70,000-mile standard powertrain warranty.

The automaker will continue to offer its three-year, 36,000-mile standard bumper-to-bumper warranty.

The automaker's consumer surveys showed that the 7/70,000 warranty protection was a low priority for buyers, says John Schenden, owner of Pro Chrysler-Jeep in Denver and chairman of the Chrysler-Jeep national dealer council.

Money that would have been spent to cover the longer powertrain warranty will go to "other consumer and dealer marketing efforts," Schenden says. He did not elaborate.

Chrysler group officials did not return phone calls.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Dodge reduced the basic warranty on all it's 06 vehicles. You can still get extended coverage, but you'll pay extra for it. I got the 6 yr/100k mile warranty on my SXT.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hyundai still offers a long one right? Only problem is you gotta buy a Hyundai:)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Working in a Dodge service department, only 10% of our buisness is warranty.. the 7/70 had a $100 deductable and only covered internally lubricated drivetrain components, which rarely ever break down...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chargershed, knowing that gives me a better feeling about it. I was afraid that maybe they reduced the warranty coverage because of major drivetrain problems, and they were trying to shift the financial burden over to the consumer.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
chargershed said:
Working in a Dodge service department, only 10% of our buisness is warranty.. the 7/70 had a $100 deductable and only covered internally lubricated drivetrain components, which rarely ever break down...

internally lubricated drivetrain componets would include the transmission.... which in my 2 year old truck with at the time 40K miles blew the tranny in the middle of now-where Nevada.......

Also seeing as how they dumped the warrenty... I hope the tranny in this is more reliable then the tranny in the 90's body style dodge.... as they are notorious for going out at 60-80K miles....

Oh..... but since the warrenty ends at 36... I guess it would be out of warrenty work.... and not be included in the 10%

In todays day and age.... car makers build cars to last just barely longer then the warrenty period.... seeing as how I lost a tranny in 2 vehicles, which I bought brand new, the one mentioned above with 40K on the odometer, and the other one with 38K..... My 99 dodge ram had 71K on it when it got stolen, however I was starting to have major concerns with the tranny.... so maybe the fact that it got stolen was a good thing.....

I do not beat the crap out of my vehicles, as I dont have the money to piss away, but I do drive them... so with my experience with domestic cars thus far, only owned domestics..... I do not see them dropping the warrenty as not being something to worry about, nor do I feel that the quote from the Rep was 100% of why they dropped it.... I think they dropped it due to lack of trust that they would not have to fork out money left and right on the vehicles coming out for warrenty work. Shorten the warrenty, lower the cost of warrenty related costs...

and before you tell me to go buy an extended warrenty.... tell DCX to lower the cost of the car accordingly so that we can add an extended warrenty for what it would have cost us if they didnt dump thier warrenty....

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You should consider changing the fluid more frequently and maybe not use overdrive around town. The original tranny in my '00 Mustang lasted 12k miles. After Ford rebuilt it, it was fine at 80k when I sold the car. The difference was me - after the rebuild, I quit using OD unless I was on the highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts