Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, and gals. anybody every had problems with Warped header flanges?? im about to have to replace my THIRD set of header gaskets and im pretty tired of it. the first to gaskets where cheap ones that came with the Longtubes I bought from Pacesetter, after those I bought a set of high quality OEM multi layer steel I believe and those held up longer then the first two BUT surprise surprise she is leaking again. FRUSTRATING especially when as many of you may know these things are NOT easy swap headers on. the headers were tightened in sequence and re-torqued after a few heat cycles, I also just wen in to recheck the bolts after this latest leak and they aren't backing out so im left to assume the flange is warped??? just wondering if anybody else has had problems with this. ive read of pacesetter long tubes having issues with other brands makes modes of vehicles..

·
Registered
400 Posts
what's bad about an exhaust leak anyway? hows your turbo? did you dyno your car? maybe that turbo may have something to do with it... when I did my gaskets I didn't use any rtv and works just fine, I think. I don't know how to diagnose a exhaust leak, do you hear extra noise? see smoke when you stop at a stop light coming from under your hood?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:rocket:
what's bad about an exhaust leak anyway? hows your turbo? did you dyno your car? maybe that turbo may have something to do with it... when I did my gaskets I didn't use any rtv and works just fine, I think. I don't know how to diagnose a exhaust leak, do you hear extra noise? see smoke when you stop at a stop light coming from under your hood?
well, mechanically its not Terrible for the engine how ever it definitely robs some horsepower even more when running a turbo. Its also pretty nerve racking at first because yes its first noticeable as a clicking/tapping type sound which can be mistaken for a bent valve or even a bent rod/ knocking motor. kinda scary to hear if you don't know what it is right away lol. you wont really see smoke but you can listen with a tube an hear noise coming from the gasket area also feel the air escaping if the engine is cool enough to feel around. generally RTV is not necessary from what ive heard, I guess it couldn't hurt to use especially since ive got higher back pressures with the turbo but after this many gaskets im really leaning towards the actual header being warped and not sealing up evenly with the head. really sucks. gonna take another look in the morning ill update if I find anything interesting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its possible, I do it myself, but I finally broke down and took it in to the dealer and they confirmed it, header is warped out pretty bad. gonna see whats up with the warranty situation on the headers but if it cant get resolved soon I might just break down and get some brand new BBK's ordered asap, this is my Daily Driver so I don't really want to be runnin it this way for another couple weeks. sounds terrible.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
If its possible, I do it myself, but I finally broke down and took it in to the dealer and they confirmed it, header is warped out pretty bad. gonna see whats up with the warranty situation on the headers but if it cant get resolved soon I might just break down and get some brand new BBK's ordered asap, this is my Daily Driver so I don't really want to be runnin it this way for another couple weeks. sounds terrible.
Then why buy ****ty headers? Buy a set of Kooks, OEM gaskets and be done with it....

·
Registered
400 Posts
did u dyno your car? I wanna know what your hp and tq is from your turbo. pretty cool, I want one, the turbo.

·
Premium Member
8,799 Posts
Pacesetter is on the low end of quality.

Wrong material/wrong thickness of flange.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
No offense man, but the only warranty I would be asking for is my money back (at least pro-rated). I doubt anyone will do that.

With that said, throw the pacesetters in the trash and get just about ANYTHING else.

If it were me, I would swap a set of 6.1 heads, intake, and factory 6.1 shorty headers on there. You won't have to worry about them ever leaking and they retain heat almost as good as cast iron manifolds. Heat retention is as important (if not more important) in a turbo setup as flow is. The OEM SRT8 shorties probably out flow the long tube Pacesetters. If the Pacesetters do flow better it won't be by much and those long tube headers are going to dissapate a lot of heat which is not good for a turbo application (lose horse power).

Of course, you already know what the exhaust flange leaks are doing. With cheap long tube headers you have an inferno going on between the collector and the turbo. There is back pressure inside the header as the exhaust gases spool up the turbo to build pressure. This DRAMATICALLY ramps up the heat soak in a thin wall header. This will WARP any header not made of the best and thickest materials. Even the best gasket will fail under these conditions.

Advice is like A$$h013$, and everyones got one. With the bad history I've had with headers and turbos, the only way I would consider headers on a turbo'd-hemi is with SRT8 OEM headers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No offense man, but the only warranty I would be asking for is my money back (at least pro-rated). I doubt anyone will do that.

With that said, throw the pacesetters in the trash and get just about ANYTHING else.

If it were me, I would swap a set of 6.1 heads, intake, and factory 6.1 shorty headers on there. You won't have to worry about them ever leaking and they retain heat almost as good as cast iron manifolds. Heat retention is as important (if not more important) in a turbo setup as flow is. The OEM SRT8 shorties probably out flow the long tube Pacesetters. If the Pacesetters do flow better it won't be by much and those long tube headers are going to dissipate a lot of heat which is not good for a turbo application (lose horse power).

Of course, you already know what the exhaust flange leaks are doing. With cheap long tube headers you have an inferno going on between the collector and the turbo. There is back pressure inside the header as the exhaust gases spool up the turbo to build pressure. This DRAMATICALLY ramps up the heat soak in a thin wall header. This will WARP any header not made of the best and thickest materials. Even the best gasket will fail under these conditions.

Advice is like A$$h013$, and everyone's got one. With the bad history I've had with headers and turbos, the only way I would consider headers on a turbo'd-hemi is with SRT8 OEM headers.
LoL no offense taken man!! ive heard of ALOT of people having trouble with pacesetter headers! wish I had heard about em before!!! and ive heard good things about those srt-8 manifolds too but, as crazy as this sounds, the sound longtubes give is what ive always wanted out of my car, so im stickin with em for sure, even if I have to swap to a high quality pair eventually!! lol crazy huh.
Also, pacesetter completely covered it under-warranty, pretty awesome customer service there so that brought the stress level down some. im gonna swap out the warped one this weekend, also, gonna buy a larger X-pipe, to help with flow, not that it would make a huge difference itself but, ive heard the stock crossover pipes on these cars are terrible if at all even functional lol so well see what happens!!
Also I plan on sticking with the stock 5.7 heads, ive seen some really impressive numbers on them and ive got a guy who can do good headwork so that's down the road!!
I do honestly wish id talked to you sooner about it though 'cause I seriously would have went with a Maggie or kenne bell instead!! not that I don't love the unique qualities of a turbo but there are definitely quit a few more variables to address with a turbo! lol o well!

lol well see what happens! thanks for the input!!:beerchug:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did u dyno your car? I wanna know what your hp and tq is from your turbo. pretty cool, I want one, the turbo.
I have not yet, I actually only recently discovered there was even a dyno in the small town where im stayin! so once im back up and running fully, ill dial in my tuning a bit more and get it on there! ill be sure to let you know hoping for 400 to the wheels minimum lol! and ya its pretty awesome seeing peoples faces when they hear it spool or blow off especially coming from a hemi lol! thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts