Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it bad to start the car and just go? or do you have to let it warm up and for how long do you have to ?

what happens if you dont warm the car up? anything?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
is it bad to start the car and just go? or do u have to let it warm up and for how long do u have to ?

what happens if u dnt warm the car uup n e thing?
My understanding is with fuel injection, as soon as the engine settles you can drive. I usually use the time I clear off my windows as the time for the vehicle to warm up.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but its cold i dnt wanna get out the car i want the heat right away so is it bad?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
In my humble opinion... you should warm up for sure!

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea but sumtimes im in a rush i have no time to

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
yea but its cold i dnt wanna get out the car i want the heat right away so is it bad?
I see your point... I sort of just take the hit. It is nice to have the heated seats - sort of make you forget the air around you's still chilly. I have never heard any stories about either warming up or not warming up being of severe detriment to the vehicle. Older vehicles I've had needed warmed up (carbureted) for a bit before driving, others needed other special care when cold (e.g., pumping up the brake booster).

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
the owners manual says a minute. Basically to get oil temp up and flowing a little. Other than that you arent gonna hurt anything. Letting your car warm up is fine but it is just a waste of gas and hurts the enviroment. When i did an essay on this last year i came across lots of tidbits like -americans waste nearly 20 gallons of fuel in the winter time in average temp climates just warming up their car. ( like here in kansas) i'd hate to see how much gas is wasted up in the north.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
the owners manual says a minute. Basically to get oil temp up and flowing a little. Other than that you arent gonna hurt anything. Letting your car warm up is fine but it is just a waste of gas and hurts the enviroment. When i did an essay on this last year i came across lots of tidbits like -americans waste nearly 20 gallons of fuel in the winter time in average temp climates just warming up their car. ( like here in kansas) i'd hate to see how much gas is wasted up in the north.
humm never really thought about that. that would be an interesting paper. i usually don't do that. i keep my car in the garage over the winter so its not as bad as keeping it outside in the cold. my truck is a different story.

·
Registered
193 Posts
if your late and dont have time to warm it up then you should just be real, real easy on the throttle until that temp guage starts to move.....

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Most modern cars don't need to sit and warm up, you should be able to drive soon after starting up. Just don't do any WOT right after startup.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
if your late and dont have time to warm it up then you should just be real, real easy on the throttle until that temp guage starts to move.....
That's logical. Thanks!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I always let it warm up. I've been told though that it could cause hot spots. Is this true?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
humm never really thought about that. that would be an interesting paper. i usually don't do that. i keep my car in the garage over the winter so its not as bad as keeping it outside in the cold. my truck is a different story.
yea since i'm kinda the local weather/ enviroment guy and car guy wrapped in one , when i'm in school or do my tech articles for one of the clubs i'm forever writing about vehicles affect on the enviroment and ways to help curb the use of gas.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Most modern cars don't need to sit and warm up, you should be able to driver soon after starting up. Just don't do any WOT right after startup.
x2. With modern oils, you can just start up and go. Just wait for the temp to come up before putting on any serious rpms.

:cool:

·
Registered
455 Posts
is it bad to start the car and just go? or do you have to let it warm up and for how long do you have to ?

what happens if you dont warm the car up? anything?
No, its a myth that warming up the car in cold weather is better. Today's engines disperse even cold oil rather quickly. Here is an excerpt featured on Yahoo.com/CNN today (it tells you how to drive from a cold start and some important info on cold brakes)...

From Article:
Myth: Wait, it's still warming up

Some people insist that your car will last longer if you let it idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

It's true that running cold is harder on an engine than running warm. The oil is thicker, and it takes a little time - very little, really - for it to flow to all the parts of the engine that need it.

But letting the car sit while the engine is running doesn't help anything. It just wastes gas and pumps out needless fumes. You might as well get on your way.

All you need to do is drive your car gently until the engine is warmed up. No smoky burn-outs first thing in the morning. Just go easy and keep those engine RPMs down until everything's toasty, and you'll be just fine.

Five to ten minutes of easy driving is about all it takes before most cars are ready to rev, says Sinclair.

Driving gently for a few minutes helps your brakes, too, says Sinclair. They also need a chance to warm up.

"Brakes go to from zero to 200 degrees or so in an instant with a hard stop," he says.

That kind of sudden temperature change promotes warping of brake rotors, he says. Better to make a few slow stops at first so the brakes can heat up gradually.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
That kind of sudden temperature change promotes warping of brake rotors, he says. Better to make a few slow stops at first so the brakes can heat up gradually.[/I]
Great information. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts