Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a call from the body shop doing the repair work on my bumper last night. I had asked them to double check the fitment because it was a little more "floppy" on one side the way it was mounted.

They removed it and found that the prior body shop had attached the bumper with epoxy one one side and, get this, MASKING tape on the other side.

I went by today and took some pictures of the areas and I was wondering if you guys knew how this was normally attached. Is there normally anything done in these areas? The body shop seems to be saying that nothing is needed in these areas.

Since this is the 3rd attempt to fix my bumper I want it done RIGHT!!!!!

See the masking tape right below the tail light bucket:

Black goopy epoxy was used on the driver's side in the same area:

So does anyone have any additional advice I should give the body shop or demand from them?!? I want to be 100% sure it is done right. And why do you think the first shop (Sunnyvale Dodge, now out of business) used these mysterious products in these areas if indeed nothing is needed in these area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also if anyone has any pictures of these areas on a bonestock car, I would LOVE to see them!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Does this help ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
So I got a call from the body shop doing the repair work on my bumper last night. I had asked them to double check the fitment because it was a little more "floppy" on one side the way it was mounted.

They removed it and found that the prior body shop had attached the bumper with epoxy one one side and, get this, MASKING tape on the other side.

I went by today and took some pictures of the areas and I was wondering if you guys knew how this was normally attached. Is there normally anything done in these areas? The body shop seems to be saying that nothing is needed in these areas.

Since this is the 3rd attempt to fix my bumper I want it done RIGHT!!!!!

So does anyone have any additional advice I should give the body shop or demand from them?!? I want to be 100% sure it is done right. And why do you think the first shop (Sunnyvale Dodge, now out of business) used these mysterious products in these areas if indeed nothing is needed in these area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also if anyone has any pictures of these areas on a bonestock car, I would LOVE to see them!!!!!!
Hey Grimlock. This might be useful to you. I just got back from checking out my car at the body shop after the repair from my rear-end impact. They too had replaced the bumper cover, so I checked it out thoroughly. I noticed that the passenger side was more floppy than the drivers side. I checked all the fasteners but couldn't see anything wrong. I asked them to re-check the install (they agreed it was more floppy on that side) since I don't take it home until tomorrow.

I decided to stop at the Dodge dealer on the way home and check out the Chargers on their lot. I looked at 5 Chargers (SXTs to R/Ts to Daytonas). They all were more floppy on the passenger side (not what I expected) and seemed the same as mine with the new bumper cover.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
hey awd gabe... where do you get all these diagrams that you always seem to be so helpful in posting... is this on a cd that is purchasable? PM me please

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I just got mine back from the body shop. They had re-done it and it turns out the key to a nice rigid install is to make sure the plastic rivets inside the wheel openings are good and snug when installed. No adhesive is used below the tail lights (I think someone was trying to do it without an extra pair of hands and cheated on the one shown). The plastic riviets inside the decklid also need to be similarly snug.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
hey awd gabe... where do you get all these diagrams that you always seem to be so helpful in posting... is this on a cd that is purchasable? PM me please
Click below, and download whichever one you want :) :

Service Manual Download

1 - 8 of 8 Posts