Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I have a 2011 charger pursuit v6. I have a goal of eventually being able to reach the end of the 260kmh speedometer. The hemi version has a listed top speed of pretty much that exactly. So I figure I should only need another 100hp or so. Is this plausible to do without nitro or super/turbo charging? I want it to still be a daily driver. What upgrades would you folks suggest? If supercharging is the cheaper route, I'll probably just do that. I've never modded my car before but I've done minor repairs. The more I can do myself, the better. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
BM:
Welcome to the forum.
Your Charger as is will run 140 mph. 260 kph is 160 mph. Unless this is something you "just want to do", and money is no object, you would be better off selling the V6 Charger, and picking up a 5.7 L Charger. Anytime you "mod" a daily driver, reliability comes into question. You won't be able to recoup what you spend on the V6 to do it, but the 5.7 will, and for less money. Also, keep in mind that while your pursuit has better brakes than the standard V6 Charger, a Hemi powered pursuit will have even better brakes.

Don

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
BM:
Welcome to the forum.
Your Charger as is will run 140 mph. 260 kph is 160 mph. Unless this is something you "just want to do", and money is no object, you would be better off selling the V6 Charger, and picking up a 5.7 L Charger. Anytime you "mod" a daily driver, reliability comes into question. You won't be able to recoup what you spend on the V6 to do it, but the 5.7 will, and for less money. Also, keep in mind that while your pursuit has better brakes than the standard V6 Charger, a Hemi powered pursuit will have even better brakes.

Don
Pursuit brakes are all the same V-6 or V-8, BR8 from 2011-2014, BR 9 from mid 2014 and up. The only way to make a V6 go that fast is to supercharge it, but Why? Just buy an R/T or Scat...

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Kraut:
Thanks for the reminder. When I wrote that, I was thinking BR8 vs BR9 assuming he might get a newer model. It stands to reason that FCA would not put a lower level braking system on an LE car. Having the better brakes, and less complex when it comes to ordering/stocking parts makes sense.

Don

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Kraut:
Thanks for the reminder. When I wrote that, I was thinking BR8 vs BR9 assuming he might get a newer model. It stands to reason that FCA would not put a lower level braking system on an LE car. Having the better brakes, and less complex when it comes to ordering/stocking parts makes sense.

Don
The BR9 is an excellent brake package, especially for the price of replacement parts. I have two V6s that are plenty fast enough for the congested traffic here in ABQ, so I don't understand why anyone would bother with the expense of trying to make a 3.6 as fast as a 5.7 when you can pick up a lightly used RT for less than $25K.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The BR9 is an excellent brake package, especially for the price of replacement parts. I have two V6s that are plenty fast enough for the congested traffic here in ABQ, so I don't understand why anyone would bother with the expense of trying to make a 3.6 as fast as a 5.7 when you can pick up a lightly used RT for less than $25K.
Main reason why I picked up a Pursuit is cost. I get alot of factory performance goodies, and cheaper cost (until lifters eat cams) although I miss out on all those nifty features.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but what is with the endless threads about guys with V6 motors wanting Hemi power and performance? There's new threads weekly on this topic, and before I get started, have never seen it done by anyone other than a performance shop.

The R/T's are not that much more costly, and you can play around with mileage and options to find one in your budget.

It makes absolutely no sense to spend so much money to make a V6 have the 5.7 performance. You'll spend thousands more on modding the V6 than you would if you just went with a 5.7.

Obviously, it's not my money. But these threads are made by people who seem intelligent, listing the things they know will need to be done to mod the six cylinder to get V8 power. Supercharging is always where it leads to, and unless you're doing it yourself, which is no easy task even for the experienced, you're not getting out the door for under $5k until all is said and done. That $5k will get you an R/T and will also be more reliable.

Just my .02. Not venting, I just don't get all of these threads. They're countless, and in my I believe almost 6 years as a member and another 3 browsing have NEVER seen anyone do it.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
It makes absolutely no sense to spend so much money to make a V6 have the 5.7 performance. You'll spend thousands more on modding the V6 than you would if you just went with a 5.7.
Agreed.

Btw, OP: a few Daytona R/Ts just showed up on Kijiji...I'd have been all over them if it had not been for my want of a manual transmission:

Pretty sure one can nudge them down a bit more on pricing as well..I've also heard good things about unhaggle: https://www.unhaggle.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
It can be done. I'm doing it and have been for a few years. No its not practical at all. It would have been smarter to buy an SRT. Hell just in performance I've spent over $21k. This is how I see it tho. I would have probably dropped the same amount of money into the SRT to make it as fast as or faster than the hellcat . That mod bug will get you. $5700 in car audio, $11600 in exterior, $2800 in interior and $22000 in performance... Which includes me currently doing a 4.0 swap into it lol..... Yeah retarded money. Granted that was over the span of 11 years owning the vehicle.

·
Registered
964 Posts
So you spent $42k on a $20k car? If that's your thing, why not? I think what you're doing is different than what the OP and many other individuals who post these threads are trying to so.

I'm guessing you do this as a hobby. You're working in all areas of the vehicle. You're not specifically focused on performance alone, so you're well aware of what you're getting into.

From a performance perspective alone, it makes 0 sense to spend that money trying to get the Pentastar or whatever six cylinder you have to try and obtain 5.7 or 392 power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts