Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add a sub and amp to my 08 SXT but I am not sure the best brand/size to go with. I don't want a over the top setup, just something good for every day use, also I have a 3 year old that shouldn't be exposed to too much as well.

In my previous car I ran 2 pioneer 12's run off of 2 pioneer amps and thought it was a good setup, but that was 5 years ago. For the charger I am thinking 1 10in sub would be good with an amp that could run the sub and eventually run new speakers once I have some money to upgrade them.

The last piece of the puzzle is I have a $125 gift card to amazon that I figured I could use for either the sub or the amp but I am not sure how much I can trust electronics purchased from a site like that.

Thoughts and advice please!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run a single fosgate prime 12" off a prime 250.1 in a ported box with the appropriate amount of cubic feet. It puts out good solid bass. I have the boston acoustics 8-speaker system though, so I have two 6x9's up front and an 8" sub in the rear deck also putting out nothing but bass. It sounds like a whole lot, but it's not crazy loud or anything. I imagine that having just the 12" sub would give a nicely balanced sound.

To get signal to the amp, I use a PAC 7-2 line output converter. It sounds great, so much better than previous converters I've used. It also provides a remote turn-on signal to the amp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
826 Posts
Two subs are only 3 dB louder than a single (3 dB is twice as loud). I used a single 10" in a correctly sized sealed box. Plenty of bass for normal use.

I've purchased electronics from Amazon, even got speakers from their "Warehouse deals" and they were in perfect condition. Got my sub from Amazon. You could get a proper sealed box and a sub of good quality for that price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Two subs are only 3 dB louder than a single (3 dB is twice as loud). I used a single 10" in a correctly sized sealed box. Plenty of bass for normal use.

I've purchased electronics from Amazon, even got speakers from their "Warehouse deals" and they were in perfect condition. Got my sub from Amazon. You could get a proper sealed box and a sub of good quality for that price.

This is not completely accurate. 6dB is twice the sound pressure, and 10dB is generally considered "twice as loud" in perceived loudness.

Adding another subwoofer to an enclosure without adding more power would yield only a ~3dB gain. But powering it separately with an equal amount of wattage would give you ~6dB. This would usually be perceived as a significant volume increase, but not "double the volume".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
826 Posts
Correct!

2x power is 3 dB, 2x Amplitude (which I think is similar/same as SPL) is 6dB, which requires 4x the power. So twice the amplitude from a 300W base level would require 1200 W, and a new alternator and battery! So if you added a second similar sub/power combo, say 600W total, you would add 1.4 times the amplitude.

Nothing like good fact-checking!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts