Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do anything to interfere with the 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty that the car came with. I have a 2006 R/T R&T with a K&N CAI & Borla Aggressive Exhaust. Help me out!:dead:

·
Registered
608 Posts
well I plan on getting a 180 T-stat I don' think that will void the Warranty. Also a pair of shorty's You could get Long headers if you have the loot.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
From what the dealer has told me, the only mods that will void your warranty are engine mods. Such as, cam/heads, supercharger/turbocharger ect.

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
I agree... from what I was told by the dealer. For example, if you install a new exhaust, it won't void the powertrain warranty, but the parts you add won't be covered. If you make a change something with the engine internally (camshaft, turbo...) it would void the warranty.

I have no idea what they would say if you put in a different performance chip, and then had an engine problem...??

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the only way to find out would be to ask the dealer. Because I am limited with this warranty. Which sucks, but is also good that I have a massive warranty like this. It's a tough situation.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Mopar accessories are covered by warranty but ALL Mopar performance parts beginning with the letter "P" are sold "as is" with no warranty whatsoever. Why? Some parts are intended for "off-road use only" and could void the vehicle's factory warranty. This means that if DCX can prove a performance part caused a problem then your warranty claim goes bye-bye. For all the folks out there doing the "safe" mods, this does include your Mopar CAI, Mopar Cat-back Exhuast, Mopar LT Headers, Mopar Coil Over Suspension Kit and Lowering Springs just to name a few. There is actually a disclaimer on the Mopar website that says those first 4 parts are "not legal for sale on pollution-controlled vehicles registered for highway use".

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
K&N CAI & Borla Aggressive Exhaust
Technically, both of these would void some parts of the warranty depending on the warranty claim. Unless, these were installed prior to you purchasing the vehicle.

well I plan on getting a 180 T-stat I don' think that will void the Warranty. Also a pair of shorty's You could get Long headers if you have the loot.
180 t-stat will absolutely void it if they find out you put one on there and it caused the engine problem. Same goes for shorties and LT's. Most service departments will tell you to take it off before bringing in for service.

From what the dealer has told me, the only mods that will void your warranty are engine mods. Such as, cam/heads, supercharger/turbocharger ect.
Yes and No. Depends on your relationship with the service department. I simple Mopar CAI could void if it is proven to be the cause of an engine problem.

I agree... from what I was told by the dealer. For example, if you install a new exhaust, it won't void the powertrain warranty, but the parts you add won't be covered. If you make a change something with the engine internally (camshaft, turbo...) it would void the warranty.
Technically, yes it would void warranty of it is found to be the cause of the warranty claim. Again, depends on your relationship with the service department.

Not trying to scare folks away from doing mods but don't want you to get a false sense of security in doing "safe" mods, which there really are not any. Mod at your own risk. There are some delaerships that are very mod friendly (which is good for business) and then there are some that run away at the mention of the word mod (not friendly). Find out how your service department feels before doing the mods you have in mind IMO. :yes:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mopar accessories are covered by warranty but ALL Mopar performance parts beginning with the letter "P" are sold "as is" with no warranty whatsoever. Why? Some parts are intended for "off-road use only" and could void the vehicle's factory warranty. This means that if DCX can prove a performance part caused a problem then your warranty claim goes bye-bye. For all the folks out there doing the "safe" mods, this does include your Mopar CAI, Mopar Cat-back Exhuast, Mopar LT Headers, Mopar Coil Over Suspension Kit and Lowering Springs just to name a few. There is actually a disclaimer on the Mopar website that says those first 4 parts are "not legal for sale on pollution-controlled vehicles registered for highway use".
So you are saying the Mopar Headers will void it, or wont void it?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Safe mod.......... window tint and debadging. Demolding could be safe but if there is paint damage under the molding it is not covered.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
So you are saying the Mopar Headers will void it, or wont void it?
A performance part will not automatically void the warranty flat out. The warranty claim issue happens when a problem occurs. If, you have a problem with the engine due to the hi-flo of the LT headers and the service department could prove it was because of the headers then your warranty claim would be denied, thus making your warranty void for that portion of the coverage.

The whole "voiding warranty" issue is a very slippery slope. Bottom line comes down to whether or not the service department is mod-friendly and your relationship with them. Some will only install Mopar parts and some will install any vendor parts.

Someone else wrote this but it is a good point, "Basically DCX feels the car is perfect from the factory so there should be no need to change/upgrade anything. Hence the reasoning for offering a lifetime powertrain warranty."

My feeling is mod is much as you feel safe with doing. More than likely over time you will feel comfortable doing more and more. If DCX is comfortable offering a lifetime or even a 7/70 warranty, they have built a reliable vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts