Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this a few years ago and I forgot what the solution was. Can someone help me?

At about 75mph the front end starts vibrating like a wheel is badly out of balance. by 78 it is shaking the steering wheel but by 83 it is gone.

I had this problem back 2006 and I forgot what I did to fix it and can't find the paperwork. Has anyone had this and what was the solution? I already rebalanced the tires and aligned the front end.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I picked up a new rim so I will try that first

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
mine does the exact same thing. It used to do it while iw as braking so i changed the rotors and that fixed it, but now its basically 78-82 mph it shakes. I think its a bald tire, but Im getting new wheels this week so Ill let you know if that fixes it

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
tires out of balance or yes the worse news of bad tire or rim

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to change rim today

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had a similar issue, althought it would basically start aroudn 45 and get worse from there. It turned out that one of the bolts holding my drive shaft to the transmission had sheared off and this threw the shaft out of balance. Was fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bent rim

Put on a new rim and it is gone. However, when they replaced the rim they noticed the front shocks were leaking. Now I have to find some new shocks.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
at that speed its wheels period.

although they may be balanced they may not be road forced correctly. even if the weights come out perfect , if the tire is not lined up properly with the wheel (high spot and low spots) you will still feel it especially on a low pro tire over a normal 18 inch tire or something

a/ you need weights on both front and back of wheel , not just a dynamic balance
b/ it must be roadforced to under 25lb if 20 in wheel. You can go up a bit with smaller wheels
c/ your tires can have flat spots from sitting. These normaly go away after a 20 min drive and warm tire temps.

The only thing i've ever ever seen cause a vibration at this speed is the driveshaft and will only happen in the 1:1 ratio gear ( i believe 4th on our car)

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info

Nothing more irritating than having those vibrations. It turns your car into a Pacer or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts