Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wanting to get rid of the chrome grille for a black one, but I'm moving to Rancho Cucamonga soon and need to save my money and ive seen that painting it is a pain and has problems with flaking. So i was thinking about trying a blackchrome look and thought about layering VHT nightshade over the grille to get that effect. What do you guys think about that? and How would i get the VHT to stick well to the grille?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I don't think it will come out good then again i wouldn't practice on your only grill. Do you plan on wetsanding? i dont think it will stick on just to the chrome so you wont even be able to get that black chrome look.

·
Registered
893 Posts
agreed

i painted my nose emblem with VHT w/out a lot of sanding. it came out weird but i like it.

by weird i mean on the edges the chrome were still visible. sort of like a outline effect

·
Registered
424 Posts
I saw at an autoparts store one day a "black chrome" paint kit. It was mainly for wheels but it could do the trick. I think it was either vht or duplicolor

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I saw at an autoparts store one day a "black chrome" paint kit. It was mainly for wheels but it could do the trick. I think it was either vht or duplicolor
I think what your talking about is called Metalcast Smoke

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but then im back to peeling off the chrome and basiacally painting it right?

·
Registered
879 Posts
If you're referring to my post about the Duplicolor, it is designed to go directly on the chrome.

I haven't used it myself, but saw it on one of the shows on SPEED and got interested. I may have to get some and try it out on my 2001 Xterra.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So I've been wanting to get rid of the chrome grille for a black one, but I'm moving to Rancho Cucamonga soon and need to save my money and ive seen that painting it is a pain and has problems with flaking. So i was thinking about trying a blackchrome look and thought about layering VHT nightshade over the grille to get that effect. What do you guys think about that? and How would i get the VHT to stick well to the grille?
nick I would not recommend painting the grill with night shade. vht might not look like it when sprayed really thick, but it has a tint of red to it. when i smoked my aftermarket tail and did not make it completely black, you could see a redish tint when in the sun light and there was no red coloring to the aftermarket tails previous to smoking the tail. you don't want to make you chrome grill black with a redish tint, man. hope this helps

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Nick, I painted my silver grille black when I still had my stock bumper, it came out good and it never flaked or anything, and I really have no experience in painting at all, all I did was sand, prime, paint and clear and u saw my black grille in that temecula meet we had

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nick I would not recommend painting the grill with night shade. vht might not look like it when sprayed really thick, but it has a tint of red to it. when i smoked my aftermarket tail and did not make it completely black, you could see a redish tint when in the sun light and there was no red coloring to the aftermarket tails previous to smoking the tail. you don't want to make you chrome grill black with a redish tint, man. hope this helps

Ohhh did not know that! thanks for the heads up. its looking like my idea wont work, guess ill have to man up and try painting it thanks man :beerchug:

Nick, I painted my silver grille black when I still had my stock bumper, it came out good and it never flaked or anything, and I really have no experience in painting at all, all I did was sand, prime, paint and clear and u saw my black grille in that temecula meet we had
yeah but your silver grille didnt have the chrome tape stuff that these ones do. You should have been offering to sale me your black grille when you went grip : p haha

·
Registered
129 Posts
i painted my chrome grill satin black. no sanding, didn't remove chrome. just 2 coats of primer, waited 4 hours, then 4 coats of black. no sanding between coats either.

cost me $18.

still looks like i painted it yesterday and i've been driving around with it for a couple months now. i posted a process on it on this site. took me one afternoon to do.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
{(DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR GRILL TO START WITH,FIND SOMETHING TO PRACTICE ON FIRST)}I have painted some modeles with a translusent(SP?) paint.The trick is to clean the part real good,wash it with Dawn,get all of the soap off of it then wipe it down with alcohol and let it dry GOOD. Now the trick with the paint is to lay down the first coat where you can't even see the coverage,let that dry completly,repeat step one.This will give the wet coats you will apply next something to grab hold of.Very carefuly apply a lite wet coat and let it dry,repeat this step until you get the color and depth you are looking for.This will take a little time but it is worth the end result. GOOD LUCK and post some pics. P.S. A little trick to get the paint to come out of the can good is to keep it warm not hot but warm.

·
Registered
636 Posts
just get a new one from wayne dude . crome will always peel an itll always chip unless you peel it . julios probably worked good cause its not crome .:)i think there under 80 if you get it thru wayne ...

·
Registered
526 Posts
just get a new one from wayne dude . crome will always peel an itll always chip unless you peel it . julios probably worked good cause its not crome .:)i think there under 80 if you get it thru wayne ...
I painted mine like Julio did and can tell you it is a chore to get it right. Inky has the best advise for trading money versus time and trouble. Talk to Wayne and get a Daytona black one and be done with it in 1 hour flat!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wayne eh? ill have to hit him up soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts