Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure what to make of this and dealer couldn't find anything wrong either....

When braking at any speed above 60 mph all the way up to 160+ there is no issue - when braking at any speed from 40 mph and under there is no issue - but when slowing down from 60 to 59 to 58 etc there is a growing "vibration" which maxes out right at 50 mph and then fades until being completely gone at 40 mph. This vibration does not come through the steering wheel or the brake pedal but through the whole car - almost like when you drift off the side of the interstate and hit the fine groove rumble strips.

I replaced tires and pads last year but the problem didn't start until recently...pads are still close to full size and tires have plenty of tread and are rotated every other oil change...

Tried braking in neutral - same vibration.
Tried rotating tires - same vibration.
Tried running tires "backwards" :rocker: - same vibration.
Dealer said nothing lose or broken.

Maybe it's just a combination of Falken tires, Centric pads, and the stock slotted rotors which create an oscillation or vibration at 50 mph....?????

Any ideas?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not really sure what to make of this and dealer couldn't find anything wrong either....

When braking at any speed above 60 mph all the way up to 160+ there is no issue - when braking at any speed from 40 mph and under there is no issue - but when slowing down from 60 to 59 to 58 etc there is a growing "vibration" which maxes out right at 50 mph and then fades until being completely gone at 40 mph. This vibration does not come through the steering wheel or the brake pedal but through the whole car - almost like when you drift off the side of the interstate and hit the fine groove rumble strips.

I replaced tires and pads last year but the problem didn't start until recently...pads are still close to full size and tires have plenty of tread and are rotated every other oil change...

Tried braking in neutral - same vibration.
Tried rotating tires - same vibration.
Tried running tires "backwards" :rocker: - same vibration.
Dealer said nothing lose or broken.

Maybe it's just a combination of Falken tires, Centric pads, and the stock slotted rotors which create an oscillation or vibration at 50 mph....?????

Any ideas?
Stupid question, but is there any chance you have warped rotors? Did you turn the rotors when you replaced the pads? It sounds to me like a brake problem...more than likely rotor driven.

The only other plausible solution I can think of is potentially an issue with the anti-lock braking system, but that is usually so sensitive to ANY issues that nearly anything will set off the trouble alarm.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Before you go buying anything, try this first. Loosen all the lug nuts, then retighten in a star pattern using a torque wrench set at 110 ft/lbs. If you still get vibration, then you may have actually warped your rotor and may be time to buy new ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the rotors with the pads....I thought that if the rotors were warped that I would feel it through the steering wheel but the wheel stays straight and solid under braking....tx for the replies.....

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yea mine do something similar and when i was painting the calipers this past week i felt the rotors which were not smooth at all,so ill be replacing those and pads soon which suck after 16k miles :( wth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
TODD! I have the same problem. 2007 SRT8. Random vibrations when braking at certain speeds. I also thought it was a warped rotor or something but i have had mine replaced with new pads. I was really disappointed that the vibration was still there after replacing the pads and rotors. Let me know if you find anything i still need to take it into the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts