Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the BEST thing for leather seats? Vaseline. Yep, I said it. Rub vaseline well deep into the leather. Whipe excess off with t-shirt.

People laughed 5 years ago when I said this, but they look at my 1995 explorers leather... and I laugh back at them. Leather whipes and cleaners often leave leather looking nice, then dry it out worse, to the point that eventually it cracks the leather. Vaseline leaves a nice finish! Here's a pic (the gloss is a bit exaggerated, but it sure extends the life of leather.)

Learned this trick from my dad's interior repair guy. Said that's his secret, drove an OLD @$$ truck with a BRAND NEW looking interior, swears up and down it's stock!

·
Registered
299 Posts
just remember to wear seat belts!

·
Registered
523 Posts
How does da KY Jelly work? :lol:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You know the BEST thing for leather seats? Vaseline. Yep, I said it. Rub vaseline well deep into the leather. Whipe excess off with t-shirt.

People laughed 5 years ago when I said this, but they look at my 1995 explorers leather... and I laugh back at them. Leather whipes and cleaners often leave leather looking nice, then dry it out worse, to the point that eventually it cracks the leather. Vaseline leaves a nice finish! Here's a pic (the gloss is a bit exaggerated, but it sure extends the life of leather.)

Learned this trick from my dad's interior repair guy. Said that's his secret, drove an OLD @$$ truck with a BRAND NEW looking interior, swears up and down it's stock!

You ain't kidding

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow, that is so not an option for me.
Ever get greasy stains on your clothes??

·
Registered
838 Posts
Actually any petroleum based product should NEVER be put on leather. It breaks down the fibers in the leather and will weaken the stitching in the seats holding the leather panels together.
It makes the seats soft by destroying the leather. Its a old trick that shady used car dealers used to make the leather look good, but its a bad idea.

Sure, it looks great, but will shorten the life of your seats and i don't want shinny leather either, looks like vinyl.

Only use products made for leather, no petroleum based products or things like Armor ALL.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Oh dear, so... many... jokes...

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually any petroleum based product should NEVER be put on leather. It breaks down the fibers in the leather and will weaken the stitching in the seats holding the leather panels together.
It makes the seats soft by destroying the leather. Its a old trick that shady used car dealers used to make the leather look good, but its a bad idea.

Sure, it looks great, but will shorten the life of your seats and i don't want shinny leather either, looks like vinyl.

Only use products made for leather, no petroleum based products or things like Armor ALL.
Interesting, this guy's truck was an 80's truck with PERFECT seats, and my explorer is 14 years old, and the leather looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.

does anyone give you an odd look when you buy 3 tubs of vaseline at the store?
Yes, I usually buy a knife and condoms too.

Wow, that is so not an option for me.
Ever get greasy stains on your clothes??
No you remove the excess vaseline with an old shirt.

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So your Exploder came from the factory with shinny leather seats that look like vinyl.

Read online under leather care.
I mean that's cool but I also read on the internet that strawberries cause cancer HID's kill women and children, and that Richard Simmons has a wife and kids.

Not everything you read is accurate.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Interesting, this guy's truck was an 80's truck with PERFECT seats, and my explorer is 14 years old, and the leather looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.

Yes, I usually buy a knife and condoms too.

No you remove the excess vaseline with an old shirt.

BWAHAHAHHAAH. A big knife i hope, with a hook at the end

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dat back seat looks like a slip n slide :smoke:

Throw a girl in the back. "Damn, you've got vaseline everywhere.. What the hell goes on back here"

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i use vaseline on radiator hoses. It works great. Also on o rings for a/c and fuel injectors. What you guys do with vaseline i dont want to know about . :grin:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Well, everything on the internet about leather care must be a lie!

All say "Only use a water based condition, NEVER Oil based (which vaseline is)

This is from manufactures of fine leather furniture and accessories.

I have high quality leather furniture in my home, the company says no oil based cleaner or waxes right on the label.

Your leather care guide that came with the leather seats does not say use vaseline.

Here are some links:

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt3677.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070626160906AA73ece

It may look great, but it attracts dirt, clogs the leathers ability to breath

Sorry, its just not recommended by anyone reputable in the leather business. END OF STORY!

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
ya know what? in 6100 posts i dont think i've ever once read anything on here about furniture. WOW :grin:

·
Registered
158 Posts
All say "Only use a water based condition, NEVER Oil based (which vaseline is)
Well KY should work then, right? :smoke:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts