Discussion Starter #1
this months oil special is Valvoline.

Regular: 5 qts & Fram filter for $11.99

Maxlife: 5 qts & Fram filter for $13.99

Synthetic: 5 qts & Fram filter for $17.99

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That's a good price- but what would I do with the Fram filter?

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Fram filters make good paperweights in less than 3 mph winds.
3mph? You're being very generous. A squirrel passing wind in the next county would send your papers all over your desk.

Best,

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I guess I'm not the only Fram disliker :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Fram..the Yugo of oil filters

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I never had a problem with Fram...although i only used one on my mom's 4.0 Jeep...which of course indestructible.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i work there and i tell everyone who thinks they are great or that ask for them, that they are the worst filter on the market.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
i work there and i tell everyone who thinks they are great or that ask for them, that they are the worst filter on the market.
I've never used them and are not at all partial to them (I typically use STP filters) - just curious why the disdain toward them? Which filters would you all recommend? THANKS!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I've never used them and are not at all partial to them (I typically use STP filters) - just curious why the disdain toward them? Which filters would you all recommend? THANKS!
STP filters are actually made by Champion Labs (which I believe is currently importing them from Mexico). Champion Labs is also the OEM for Autozone's store brand of filters in addition to numerous quickie oil change brands (Mighty/Service Champ/lots of others). They're not really known for their quality, but they are cheap. Personally, I'd stick with Wix (Napa Gold = Wix too). They're only $6-7 at your local Napa dealer or you can order them online.

Best,

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
STP filters are actually made by Champion Labs (which I believe is currently importing them from Mexico). Champion Labs is also the OEM for Purolator and Autozone's store brand of filters in addition to numerous quickie oil change brands (MightyMite/Service Champ/lots of others). They're not really known for their quality, but they are cheap. Personally, I'd stick with Wix (Napa Gold = Wix too). They're only $6-7 at your local Napa dealer or you can order them online.

Best,
Thanks for the advice - what is the difference in quality between these brands of filters? I change oil every 3K - have almost always used STP filters, and my truck's still running strong after hitting 125K yesterday. I'm willing to change, just trying to build a tangible reason in my mind.

Also, anyone use the Lucas additive?

There used to be a pan plug w/ a magnetic tip and also a chunck of magnet that could be wrapped around the filter. The theory was that these caught metal too small to be filtered from being recirculated. Are these available still? Was there any credibility to these devices?

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Thanks for the advice - what is the difference in quality between these brands of filters? I change oil every 3K - have almost always used STP filters, and my truck's still running strong after hitting 125K yesterday. I'm willing to change, just trying to build a tangible reason in my mind.

Also, anyone use the Lucas additive?

There used to be a pan plug w/ a magnetic tip and also a chunck of magnet that could be wrapped around the filter. The theory was that these caught metal too small to be filtered from being recirculated. Are these available still? Was there any credibility to these devices?

THANKS!!!
Here's some background. There's a bunch of similar sites on the net. I just picked this one 'cuz it was written by mopar fanatics. :)

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

For the marginal extra couple of bucks, I just avoid the cheapie filters...especially the ones with ineffective anti-drainback valves.

Happy reading.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually Champion makes some of the better filters on the market, obviously next under Wix.
they are OEM for AC Delco as well, have various ISO/TSI certifications. they are actually made in their plant in Albion, Illinois, but from 1999-2006 were made in Salitillo, Mexico.
they also make the Mobil 1 filters as well.

Purolator is OEM for Ford & Chrysler.

i would have no problem trusting either manufacturer of filter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Champion makes wix, harley davidson, john deere, and other big names. At least they did several years ago. I used to load them on my truck.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Here's some background. There's a bunch of similar sites on the net. I just picked this one 'cuz it was written by mopar fanatics. :)

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

For the marginal extra couple of bucks, I just avoid the cheapie filters...especially the ones with ineffective anti-drainback valves.

Happy reading.

Cheers,
THANKS!!! I'll enjoy taking some time to read this study.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That's a good price- but what would I do with the Fram filter?
Fram filters make good paperweights in less than 3 mph winds.
I guess I'm not the only Fram disliker :)
Fram..the Yugo of oil filters
*runs and changes bright orange oil filter from truck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts