Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished washing my car -- didn't even wax her and still took a solid 2 hours. I can see my reflection in every part of the car..literally -- lol. Anyway, I didn't ask this before but noticed on my first car wash that the tire "valve stems" are a solid medal -- they appear to be "STEEL" or something similar. This was great to see as I must of had a flat tire LITERALLY 5 times the last few years due to the plastic valve stem that got punctured or ripped or damaged in some way.

What a pain in the ass it was to keep putting on a spare and get the tire valve stem replaced -- I didn't even realize they had something like this -- this must be the best invention since the microwave. :headbang:

I have 2 questions about these though -- 1) Do they ever need to be replaced? I mean let's say 3, 4, 5, years down the line, should these be replaced for any reason or are these meant to last for the life of the car? I am also curious if those were something I could of put on my last set of tires on my Laredo or if those can only be used with certain tires?

If someone says "yeah, I could of spent more money and got those with my old tires" that would really suck....lol

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
That's part of the tire pressure sensor system. The valve stem is inside it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh, interesting --

then I guess my question would then be how often would these valve stems need replacing? It seems to me that because they are secured inside the medal that they can't bend or get damaged -- I mean on most other cars when you wash the tires if you wash too hard around the valve stem you can literally pierce or rip it right on the spot -- that can't happen with our Chargers -- so i'd think the valve stems "inside" that sensor casing would stay protected for a real long time, no?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Anything can be broken - just some more than others. But they are pretty strong

·
Registered
246 Posts
The sensors have a built in battery and it has a life span of 4 or 5 years as I understand it (enough to get through the basic warranty anyway). Replacement sensors run about $40.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts