Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the the other day on my 2006 Top Banana Daytona I had my check engine light appear for "wrong engine oil" which it shouldn't have been, and "oil Pressure switch malfunction" called dodge they said to get oil change and it will correct the issue, so i did yet shortly after when i parked the car to take care of a few things and returned it wouldn't start, mechanic came and told me the valve packs were bad so i replaced the first four to no avail.

Not at a different shop they say that my valve seat in cylinder 1 broke and hit the piston and to the best of mine and his vision just left a few crescent moon type marks on the top but not broke.

I am getting the valve seat replaced but how worried should i be that the piston has eternal damage? mechanic says bout 15% chance its bad but diagnostic on the piston and xray on it runs quite a bit of money

What kinds of experiences have you guys had?

(Sorry to be so long winded this was my first post on here and wanted to make sure i didn't miss details)

·
Registered
400 Posts
the question is... what happens if the piston is bad and it breaks... I would try to replace it, all my pistons with forged pistons, myself.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
They have to pull the head to replace the valve seat, so might as well replace the valve as its probably bent and while the head is off they can check the piston and the cylinder walls for scaring. If there's serious damage might as well find you a long block and replace the motor all together or you could build a stroker!!!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Just forged pistons is a waste of money!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would get forged pistons and whatever else needed to run superchargers, or turbos, safely.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You would build a stroker motor with forged internals

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
So the the other day on my 2006 Top Banana Daytona I had my check engine light appear for "wrong engine oil" which it shouldn't have been, and "oil Pressure switch malfunction" called dodge they said to get oil change and it will correct the issue, so i did yet shortly after when i parked the car to take care of a few things and returned it wouldn't start, mechanic came and told me the valve packs were bad so i replaced the first four to no avail.

Not at a different shop they say that my valve seat in cylinder 1 broke and hit the piston and to the best of mine and his vision just left a few crescent moon type marks on the top but not broke.

I am getting the valve seat replaced but how worried should i be that the piston has eternal damage? mechanic says bout 15% chance its bad but diagnostic on the piston and xray on it runs quite a bit of money

What kinds of experiences have you guys had?

(Sorry to be so long winded this was my first post on here and wanted to make sure i didn't miss details)
If the piston doesn't show visible cracks, it's probably ok. If you have a question about it and want to be sure, then replace the piston. Skip the x-ray diagnostic.

It really depends on how long you plan to keep the car and what your risk tolerance is. The odds are that it will be fine, but if you want to be 100% sure...forget about it. There is no such thing. Even top motor builders have occasional failures. You dropped one valve seat out of 16. What's to say the remaining 15 are "perfect"? If you continue down that logic, you will quickly realize that you can never have a 100% guarantee that nothing will fail.

If you trust the mechanic, do the repairs on the head and call it a day. I would also follow the advice of many here and make sure you let the car idle for a few minutes when hot before shutting down to equalize the temps across the valves and heads. Otherwise, get a Predator and turn off the MDS. The head temperature differential due to MDS is what seems to cause these failures on the 5.7L engine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
you can get performance heads, that have brand new valve seats, and then you'll send them your core back which is your heads with a broken valve seat and they will accept it like they love it.
I used inertiamotorsport's big valve heads, theres also PWR heads that seem pretty good too. I don't know which one is better.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I suggest you get your pistons replaced, heads replaced, get long tube headers, and possibly a cam. since you're taking it apart and there already... any cam will cost 500 bucks, heads can range from 1,500 to 2,500 depending if you want the best heads or not. I have kooks long tube headers and I like them.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
pull the head and look at the piston....if the seat dropped the piston and the head probably need work. If the piston has a divot I would replace it.....just replace the one.....it's cheaper and will work fine. replace or repair the head and button it back up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i must find out what the Wilson intake is!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts