Charger Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2012 R/T with the Hemi and AWD. I want to upgrade to a 2021 model but I'm faced with the dilema of now choosing between AWD or the Hemi. I'm looking for input on which I should buy and why. I love having both. The AWD is great in the snow but I"m afraid I'm going to miss the Hemi engine.
Keep the 2012, and use it as a beater. You don’ want to take a new car to Wally World or Joe Blow pharmacy and let the new car get whacked. Invest in dual dash cams also.

Upgrade to the 392 and let the force flow thru you. Best of both worlds.
Or do the new V6 AWD and you You still have the old hemi.
Test drive each and you will now what you want. Money on the 392 Scat.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2012 R/T with the Hemi and AWD. I want to upgrade to a 2021 model but I'm faced with the dilema of now choosing between AWD or the Hemi. I'm looking for input on which I should buy and why. I love having both. The AWD is great in the snow but I"m afraid I'm going to miss the Hemi engine.
I loved my 3.5L AWD 08 Charger in the snow... Moved home and got a job less than a mile from my house and ended up buying a 13 RWD R/T, and loved it. It was okay in the snow, with snow tires, but when I took a job with a 40-mile commute each way? I missed the AWD. I PROBABLY could have gotten away with RWD with some new snow tires, but we had a kid on the way, so I traded it in for an AWD Mazda CX-5, then ended up trading our 2nd car (Fusion) for a 3.6L AWD Chrysler 300, and that has been amazing in the snow.
To be fair, we get a LOT of snow in the southtowns outside of Buffalo. Like, we had almost none until about a week ago and then got 3 ft in a little over 24 hours, lol. Would I have survived with the RWD car? Absolutely. But from a practical, daily driver standpoint? I'm glad I have the V6 AWD.
I do, however, miss the RWD V8... Passing power is lacking a little, but otherwise it gets up and goes just fine. You DO notice it, though.
It is absolutely a trade off... Which has me wishing I had gotten an AWD R/T from the get-go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2014 R/T with AWD. Love the HP and AWD (5+ inches of snow today), I do hate the low gas mileage, am lucky to get 13 mpg around town. Am strongly thinking of going with a 2021 SXT with AWD, not another HEMI. MY advice to you is, find those who have an R/T in the Northern States and use Snow Tires in the winter. See how that works out for them. Good Luck..

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Unless you're in the upper North or Northeast, I wouldn't worry about AWD. My Charger handled inclement weather (I live near DC) rather well despite being RWD- and as nice as the 3.6 is you'd definitely miss the grunt (and sound) of the Hemi. No question.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I have just the solution for you....a complete 5.7 AWD drivetrain with all computers donor car.
Car has less than 2800 miles, car was broadsided ...B pillar is damaged, insurance totaled it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, I have just the solution for you....a complete 5.7 AWD drivetrain with all computers donor car.
Car has less than 2800 miles, car was broadsided ...B pillar is damaged, insurance totaled it
I read this long thread and didn't see any mention of Ripp super chargers for the v6. If you need awd, you need it!!! So the only choice is the v6. It kills the warranty but gives close to 450 hp to the 6 banger. I'd do it if I had 6grand to blow.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Unless you're in the upper North or Northeast, I wouldn't worry about AWD. My Charger handled inclement weather (I live near DC) rather well despite being RWD- and as nice as the 3.6 is you'd definitely miss the grunt (and sound) of the Hemi. No question.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would love to have the AWD on my '14 RT as "peace of mind" for the winter.

However, the Hemi is the first choice and AWD is nice to have addition.
If would consider buying new Charger - V8 comes first.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What's most important to you now? If you really think having awd would benefit you having to choose between that and Hemi is a tough call. I'd keep the 2012 or if you really want a newer one get a clean pursuit and use the money saved to do it up the way you want it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I own a RWD 2012 R/T Plus, and although I love the Hemi, not getting the AWD is my biggest regret with the car. When I bought my Charger I owned an old Explorer and my wife had a Subaru so I figured the Charger could stay in the garage on snowy days. Well the Explorer is long gone and the past few years the Charger has become my daily driver. Snow tires are an absolute must, and even with them it is just barely acceptable in the snow. If I'm out somewhere it will get me home, but if I'm home and snow is forecast I stay home or borrow the Subaru.

My vote is for the AWD. A buddy of mine had a similar decision to make with his Challenger. He went with the loaded V6 and AWD and loves it. I have rented V6 Chargers and was pleasantly surprised by the power and performance. Yes I would miss the Hemi but I'd prefer the security of AWD.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit 5.7 Hemi Rwd
18 Posts
If you’re willing to buy used just get a 2015+ cop car those have the hemi awd setup, regardless though I think you should just keep your car the awd hemis are gone now so I’d keep it they’re pretty uncommon

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve read that ProCharger is releasing a supercharger for the V6 soon. They claim a 45% power increase. That would take you about 50hp shy of a Scat Pack but you’d have AWD. If you get the GT model you’d get the same body style. Probably won’t be cheap though. I looked into one for my 2011 RT AWD and it’ll run $7-8000.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 2014 R/T with AWD. Love the HP and AWD (5+ inches of snow today), I do hate the low gas mileage, am lucky to get 13 mpg around town. Am strongly thinking of going with a 2021 SXT with AWD, not another HEMI. MY advice to you is, find those who have an R/T in the Northern States and use Snow Tires in the winter. See how that works out for them. Good Luck..
I live above the north east in a little place I like to call Canada.
We are familiar with snow, and we just got about 6" last night.
I am taking my wife to the doctors this morning, and it is going to be a fun drive in my RWD R/T.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live above the north east in a little place I like to call Canada.
We are familiar with snow, and we just got about 6" last night.
I am taking my wife to the doctors this morning, and it is going to be a fun drive in my RWD R/T.
Here in Mass. We ha ve the usual snow but it's from thanksgiving to Easter, so awd is a must. 255/85/18 Haakapeliitta 9's studded snows help too. They're so tight they keep the wheel wells clean!!!
1611755312984693517981.jpg

21 - 35 of 35 Posts