Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2012 R/T with the Hemi and AWD. I want to upgrade to a 2021 model but I'm faced with the dilema of now choosing between AWD or the Hemi. I'm looking for input on which I should buy and why. I love having both. The AWD is great in the snow but I"m afraid I'm going to miss the Hemi engine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Personally I'd keep what you have you're not really getting much new by throwing all that money at another Charger.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
When I bought my '14 R/T AWD, I did so with the idea that the AWD option was not popular with the hardcore performance folks, and might give me an edge on pricing. Also, the AWD seemed attractive should I run into inclement weather. The reality though, is that my Charger (thankfully) does not have to be my DD, so I could have done without it.

Moving forward, I would choose the Hemi over AWD.

Don

Reactions: DodgeGuy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2012 R/T with the Hemi and AWD. I want to upgrade to a 2021 model but I'm faced with the dilema of now choosing between AWD or the Hemi. I'm looking for input on which I should buy and why. I love having both. The AWD is great in the snow but I"m afraid I'm going to miss the Hemi engine.
Are you getting much use out of the AWD?

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
47 Posts
You will miss the Hemi, but you can always get by with and adjust to the RWD in bad weather.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd take the Hemi. I've only experienced the V6 with the 5 speed, and it wasn't a bad engine at all, and I am sure it's even better with the 8 speed. After switching to a Hemi though, I am not sure I could go back to the Pentastar without missing the 5.7's grunt.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My advice is to get the R/T and a proper set of snow tires. I'm in suburban Chicago and get around great with Michelin XIce Xi3... unless we get a foot or more of snow and it isn't plowed yet you're fine.

This is a set of 18 inch OEM Mopar wheels circa 2011 (this set was paired in the box with Chrysler winged center caps):

·
Registered
2013 RT Plus AWD
100 Posts
I have a '13 AWD RT Plus, and have pondered the same question. If forced to choose, I'd take the Hemi over the AWD. Having driven powerful RWD cars in PA winters in the past, I know for sure I would miss the AWD. You can obviously manage the RWDs with a light foot and winter tires, but these AWD Hemis are still far better on snow. That said, I know I'd also miss the Hemi more. Conclusion: My '13 AWD RT Plus will be the "winter beater" when I buy a new one. Keeping both cars, financial logic be damned. Lol

·
Registered
2020 Charger SXT Plus AWD - Frostbite/Black
110 Posts
Here's a vote for the AWD. Plenty of power - well above "average" - in any normal driving situation, plus the safety and security of AWD in inclement weather. Very happy with my decision!
20200516_142747_resized.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
876 Posts
If you get a lot of snow and daily drive your charger the AWD v6 is a great way to go. They have 300 HP and my wife has one and I love driving it. No it's not a race car and your not going to burn up the drag strip, street racing is stupid if you ask me you can lose your license or oil someone so that's not worth it.

The V6 has tons of mod's you can do to it. There are a few YouTube channels that are building blueprints on good ways to make the V6 faster and more desirable . I think it's fine the way it is. It's plenty quick for the street and fun.
The new GT model in AWD would be a great model to check out.

You get better gas mileage and now you can run regular all the time. It's great and the GT looks awesome.

If you don't get bad weather however then the R/T is a faster car with a louder exhaust , your filling up with 89 octane now and getting worse gas mileage just to be faster and sound better. If your not planning on racing I don't see any reason to go with a V8.

Go drive one and you will see it's pretty damn good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
18 months ago, I was in the same boat as you are. I had a 2010 Challenger SE V6 with RWD and needed a new car. I REALLY wanted a new Hemi Charger with AWD, but, they stopped making them for civilians in 2014. Took me a while but I tracked down a nearly new 2019 Charger Pursuit with the Hemi and AWD. Of course, now they stopped making those all together. So, I think with some patience, you can probably find a low miles 2020 AWD Hemi Pursuit, the last year they made them, and get a good base for what you REALLY want.

Greg

Reactions: Nuwanda

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here's my 2 cents.
Get the Hemi.
Get a dedicated set of wheels and tires for winter use.
I have only driven in 8" so far, and without an LSD, it is not my best winter car, but it does work quite well in the snow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a '14 R/T AWD, and while I wanted the AWD to be different and unique, I find myself disabling the AWD function more often so I can enjoy the elements of a RWD. While I've utilized the AWD in weather and snow, heavy rain and such, the AWD has caused many more 'difficulties' in terms of mods to be worth it for a non-daily. Wheels are specific, suspension is specific, brakes, headers, even floor-mats are all unique, so as a daily driver its fine, but if you want to modify your car, RWD with the Hemi is the way to do.

I am a fan however of the released-from-service pursuit cars, if you have to have both, those are the way to go, otherwise the newer GT's with the Pentastar and AWD can look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you get a lot of snow and daily drive your charger the AWD v6 is a great way to go. They have 300 HP and my wife has one and I love driving it. No it's not a race car and your not going to burn up the drag strip, street racing is stupid if you ask me you can lose your license or oil someone so that's not worth it.

The V6 has tons of mod's you can do to it. There are a few YouTube channels that are building blueprints on good ways to make the V6 faster and more desirable . I think it's fine the way it is. It's plenty quick for the street and fun.
The new GT model in AWD would be a great model to check out.

You get better gas mileage and now you can run regular all the time. It's great and the GT looks awesome.

If you don't get bad weather however then the R/T is a faster car with a louder exhaust , your filling up with 89 octane now and getting worse gas mileage just to be faster and sound better. If your not planning on racing I don't see any reason to go with a V8.

Go drive one and you will see it's pretty damn good.
Says the guy driving the Scat Pack who doesn't race his car...

Getting the V8 isn't just about racing and if you are worried about gas mileage who should all get Avalon Hybrids... ;)

Nothing wrong with the V6 AWD but unless you also put on real snow tires it isn't any more capable then my RWD with snow tires and AWD helps get you moving but not really turning or stopping.

I feel the 5.7 is such a sweet spot, would I like another 110 hp ... sure! Do I really need it or need the Brembos etc? No not really. When I'm older and drive less and can baby my cars more than probably would get the Scat ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first R/T AWD was a 2009 which I bought from a friend while living in the central Rockies in Colorado. With the right tires, it is an amazing car on snow and ice, as well as in heavy rain. When it hit 130,000 miles I had the itch for a newer Charger, and found that the ‘14 was the last year having the Hemi/AWD combo in civilian trim. So I searched for and bought one, even though I had moved to southern VA, where it rarely snows to amount to anything. Plenty of rain, though.

Partly due to the novelty of having an AWD Charger, and particularly the benefits in handling in inclement weather it provides, I really like it, and can’t imagine being satisfied with a V6 AWD. But that’s me. With the 8 speed, I’d think the V6 is more capable than it used to be.

As mentioned by others, modding these cars takes a sort of dedication. Since comparatively few were made, aftermarket performance providers don’t have much incentive to go the extra mile to put out AWD-specific variants of their products.

A late model Pursuit may be the way to go, if you want something much newer. Or look for a low mileage ‘14, if you don’t want to keep what you have.

At the moment I’m committed to spending a fair amount to get mine back on the road after a blown engine. I expect to have this car for a good long while.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
876 Posts
Says the guy driving the Scat Pack who doesn't race his car...

Getting the V8 isn't just about racing and if you are worried about gas mileage who should all get Avalon Hybrids... ;)

Nothing wrong with the V6 AWD but unless you also put on real snow tires it isn't any more capable then my RWD with snow tires and AWD helps get you moving but not really turning or stopping.

I feel the 5.7 is such a sweet spot, would I like another 110 hp ... sure! Do I really need it or need the Brembos etc? No not really. When I'm older and drive less and can baby my cars more than probably would get the Scat ;)
Does Race his car? My car just got broken in, its only 3 months old. It's winter and when Spring rolls around , i'll have a set of rims and tires for the Track. So your speaking out of line here.
But if you're referring to the street , you are absolutely right my friend.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Does Race his car? My car just got broken in, its only 3 months old. It's winter and when Spring rolls around , i'll have a set of rims and tires for the Track. So your speaking out of line here.
But if you're referring to the street , you are absolutely right my friend.
Ok I retract that part of my comment ;) I never took my 2006 (or 2019 Charger) to the track but used to take my 96 Impala SS there when I was young!

When I'm old I'd like to return with a Scat... maybe in 10-12 years when kids are out of house :)

Reactions: Nuwanda

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here in Wisconsin, I needed the AWD for the long winters. I knew I wanted something special when I was in the market and what attracted me to the Charger R/T AWD was novelty of it. American V8, with power to all 4. This thing had everything I needed and desired. Plus remote start and seat heaters. (just gravy now) It took a fair bit of time for me to wait for one to pop up for sale in my area because of the uniqueness of it. I'm now nearly 100k and in the same boat as you. I LOVE this thing. How much money to I continue to pour into to keep it running. Because of course, they don't make Hemi in the AWD platform anymore. I wish they did, and yes the Pursuits are out there, but there are issues that make them a bit less desirable. I can't see myself stepping back into V6. Once you've had the HEMI, you'll settle for nothing less. My wife and I recently upgraded her SUV to a new Durango R/T AWD and we LOVE that too! (she loves smoking tuners and mustangs at the stoplights!) So, that all being said, I'm thinking when she dies on me (hopefully many years from now), I'm leaning HEMI R/T or SRT (if they still make it in a few years). I'll figure something out for the AWD in winter.

On the news front: I've just done the SRT bumper upgrade. Still in love with her.

Reactions: Nuwanda and N8ECH
1 - 20 of 35 Posts