Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on the speed channel last night and was pretty eye opening that a Lincoln V6 challenged an elite group of V8 and placed pretty well.

1)Maserati Quattroporte
2)Mercedes E550
3)Jaguar XF
4)BMW 550i

I know the Lincoln V6 had the ecoboost system (still looking for information about this) but still thought it was a good story.

So is this possible for our V6 Chargers? Can our V6 actually compete out there with our V8 brothers with the proper mods like the super charger or a turbo system?

http://www.6versus8.com/showdown/in...|40371160|218639201|0&referrer=N3016.Primedia

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yes they can

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I like the charger cop car was there to keep them in line!!!.........:0

·
Registered
5,023 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, already is, I sat in one (SHO) on Sat. Not a bad place to drive. Wasnt too pumped on it, console is high, seats seem like Hyundai coulda made better, but maybe I'm spoiled.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I was impressed. I couldn't see it doing too well against the cars it was challenging, but it did very well. It hit the fastest speed at 109mph and came in second overall. This was the final outcome.

1)BMW 550i
2)Lincoln MKS
3)Mercedes E550
4)Jaguar XF
5)Masserati Quattroporte

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yeah, but look at how they stack the deck. This was done at 12,000 feet fercrissakes. Get down to normal elevations and the test would be so close, I suspect the SHO would be beaten up a bit.

See, its a turbo engine. And at altitude, normally aspirated engines dont get the air they need, its thinner. turbos and superchargers, however, becuase they compress the air before feeding the engine, are not as affected by altitude. In fact, dyno operators are supposed to put in a correction factor when dynoing a force induction car at altitude, even as low as 2,000 feet, let alone 12,000.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The Ecoboost is a nice set-up, I'm just wondering with twin-turbo's what the longevity of the engine will be? zYou can add a turbo or twin's to your Charger look in the V6 area and you should find some post and members to help you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, the 3.5L Ecoboost in the Lincoln MKS makes 355 hp (365 in Taurus SHO), and the torque curve is nice and flat. Plus, they have AWD. Very nice set up. You will see more engine downsizing with turbo's and direct injection showing up. The manufacturer designing it in from the factory is one thing, but adding your own 3rd party turbo system is a whole different ball game. It can be done, but it is not for the faint of heart.

And yes, as GLHS837 mentioned, doing it at high altitude is kind of cheating a bit! You can control the boost pressure to make up the difference, but the naturally aspirated cars cannot. Hee hee.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The ecoboost is in the

flex, sho, fusion, taurus, mkx already and has been for a while.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The Ecoboost is a nice set-up'm just wondering with twin-turbo's what the longevity of the engine will be? , I zYou can add a turbo or twin's to your Charger look in the V6 area and you should find some post and members to help you!
saab's been doing it for 30 years and they are one of the best cars over in that area

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The ecoboost is in the

flex, sho, fusion, taurus, mkx already and has been for a while.

Hmm, I cant seem to find the Ecoboost as an option on those vehicles on the Ford website, am I missing something? I'l also note, just to be a picky bugger, the only Taurus that gets the the Eco is the SHO:)

saab's been doing it for 30 years and they are one of the best cars over in that area
Yeas, but Saab never made class beating power, but just enough to match the V6 competition, and never with really heavy cars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Fusion does not get the Ecoboost, only the regular 3.5L V6. But yes, both the Flex and it's counterpart the MKT have it as an option. SHO has it standard, but no other Taurus does.

The Ecoboost is quite new, just starting this model year (within the last couple of months). Are you thinking of the regular 3.5L?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The Fusion does not get the Ecoboost, only the regular 3.5L V6. But yes, both the Flex and it's counterpart the MKT have it as an option. SHO has it standard, but no other Taurus does.

The Ecoboost is quite new, just starting this model year (within the last couple of months). Are you thinking of the regular 3.5L?
No i work at a ford dealer. Yes its just "this model year" but thats been since august of this year. We have a ecoboost flex and sho on the showroom floor along with a ugly arse mkt but its no ecoboost. the fusion is getting a ecoboost they are already in production. Its getting the same basic set up as a focus r/s but majorily detuned. its not going on the 3.5 though i'm pretty sure its was the 2.3 so although not a v6 turbo like the thread was going still ecoboost.

The purpose behind the ford ecoboost system is to give the performance of a v8 when needed but with better fuel economy. turbo v6's can sometimes get 4 cylinder mpg if the owner drives it correctly.

I'll see if i can post some "non ford employee site" but factual info on the fusion after vacation this weekend

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1148
The fusion is being delayed but from all the employee sites stories still slated for production. The powertrains have been assembled but not assembled into the car (for those that dont know the motors and trannies are one assembly in most cars that comes from another place to the factory then installed in the car). One issue is svt or not issue on the fusion. I'm no head ford guy or nothing but some fse "field service engineers" that i know, have stated they are trying to debate whether the ecoboost fusion will be svt branded or not. The focus r/s may come to the states next yea with the fiesta/verve and its a 40k focus with turbo also thats been in production over seas for nearly 10 years so whether they do the "r/s" or label it ecoboost, i really dont know'

the only thing i've ever seen about the fusion not getting it was some old motor trend articles stating ford may not do it because fusion already helps cafe standards and they think it may pull from the fusion hybrid sales but thats it

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Saw this on the speed channel last night and was pretty eye opening that a Lincoln V6 challenged an elite group of V8 and placed pretty well.

1)Maserati Quattroporte
2)Mercedes E550
3)Jaguar XF
4)BMW 550i

I know the Lincoln V6 had the ecoboost system (still looking for information about this) but still thought it was a good story.

So is this possible for our V6 Chargers? Can our V6 actually compete out there with our V8 brothers with the proper mods like the super charger or a turbo system?

http://www.6versus8.com/showdown/in...|40371160|218639201|0&referrer=N3016.Primedia
One thing to keep in mind is that these Test Drive shows are basically infomercials. They are definitely designed to market the car and not much else.

I would love to really see an unbiased comparison. But that comparo on Speed is definitely very very biased.

Now to answer if a Turbo 6 can perform well, just go look at the Porsche GT2. It is kinda fast. :driving:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, the Fusion will get the 4 cyl Ecoboost (as will many other upcoming Ford's).

The big question for me as a Mustang fan is, will the 3.5L twin-turbo show up in the Mustang?!? Let's face it, it makes 50 hp more than the 4.6L V8 (365 vs 315), and would be REALLY REALLY easy to get more power. The day it showed up, the aftermarket would have all kinds of increased boost performance upgrades. I would bet 400-450hp would be cake.

I'm all about V8's, believe me, but dang.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Yes, the Fusion will get the 4 cyl Ecoboost (as will many other upcoming Ford's).

The big question for me as a Mustang fan is, will the 3.5L twin-turbo show up in the Mustang?!? Let's face it, it makes 50 hp more than the 4.6L V8 (365 vs 315), and would be REALLY REALLY easy to get more power. The day it showed up, the aftermarket would have all kinds of increased boost performance upgrades. I would bet 400-450hp would be cake.

I'm all about V8's, believe me, but dang.
from what i've read "rumor wise"... the v6 stang in 2011 is suppose to have 310hp, so that may be a possibility and the v8 is gonna be a 5.0 with 400hp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts