Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a salvage v6 2015 charger and I wanted to put a 5.7 hemi on it i was wondering if its still worth it even if all i keep from the original car is the body and the suspension and if so how much would it cost i dont plan to do the work myself but i am going to take it to a good mechanic if i do please let me know what y’all think:/

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
So I recently bought a salvage v6 2015 charger and I wanted to put a 5.7 hemi on it i was wondering if its still worth it even if all i keep from the original car is the body and the suspension and if so how much would it cost i dont plan to do the work myself but i am going to take it to a good mechanic if i do please let me know what y’all think:/
It would cost way more than the car is worth..there have been a lot of threads about doing this conversion over the years and No One has successfully done it

·
Registered
432 Posts
It would be easier to buy a good running banged up salvage 2015+ RT and replace it with the body from your V6.

You can go to almost any car forum and read the same question about engine swaps and read similar responses which outlines form, fit and function hurdles, and cost.

Your question simply asked what the cost would be. My suggestion is visit a good mechanic you would use for this project and ask for a quote.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Forget it. The labor and the "may-as-wells" will kill you financially.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
V6B:
Doing this kind of an upgrade on modern day vehicles is not like it was 25-30 years ago before we had all of the computer systems and technology we have today. If you were gonna do the swap yourself, and were not in a hurry of any sort, it could be a nice project. In that case, the cost could be manageable, and you would have the satisfaction of having done it. By having someone else do the work, you will increase the cost markedly, and once done the investment will be non returnable when you eventually sell it. Getting all of the computer systems and their attendant sensors to communicate can be quite the challenge. You will not save money, and by having the V6 car to start, you won't have the upgraded pieces such as brakes, etc that should be added to bring the car up to spec.

In the end, you will have a Frankemstein vehicle, with no warranty, and you may have a hard time finding someone to guarantee any needed work unless they did the conversion, and can vouch for it.

YMMV........

Don

·
Registered
73 Posts
The dealership I bought my car from a couple of months ago just had to pay for a brand new 3.6 L V6 from Chrysler and I spoke with the service writer that ordered the engine and and she quoted just under $9,000 for the engine itself. And then on top of that there was about 30 hours of Labor and testing. So all in all it would definitely be a very expensive endeavor on a modern charger probably looking in the ballpark of $12,000

·
Registered
432 Posts
Buying an engine through any dealership is like getting the Leo Getz treatment at the drive through.

Not sure how adaptable a jeep 3.6 is to a Charger 3.6 application but Rubitrux sells take-off 3.6 Pentastars for $4k with low mileage from hemi conversions.

Won't solve the OP's 3.6 to 5.7 swap-project but it is something to bank in the memory if any SXT owners need a replacement.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
They f**k you at the drive thru!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. Not 13Daytona saying you paid anything He was just clarifying part of my post.

I took your comment to be what the dealership would charge for the engine. Not that you paid for the engine out of pocket.

I just stipulated dealer price for a 3.6 is akin to being taken.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the head mechanic at their shop determined it to be a bent rod. Based on the fact he stated that other could turn the engine 178 degrees either way but never Fully.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts